1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Finally found where that annoying noise was coming from

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2006, 03:00 AM

Received 535 Likes on 391 Posts
Finally found where that annoying noise was coming from

Power steering pump. I noticed that gurgling rumble sound that I've been trying to chase down for a year was getting worse these past two weeks. I looked into the power steering fluid reservoir and it was almost empty. I topped it off to level, and under the truck the oil pan was moist along with the entire bottom of the pump. Is this a seal fix that I should tackle or do I purchase one from the ******* or does NAPA have a re-built pump? If it is a simple seal issue, where do I get the seals and I will need part numbers, too. Finally, an end to the noise...well almost, as soon as you all provide sound advice. Man, I hope this is an easy, inexpensive fix. Thanks in advance.
Old 10-08-2006, 08:09 AM
Ace
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So you went for a YEAR without checkig the PS fluid???

Man, we're gonna have to put you on DTR probation for that!!

But seriously, there was thread here awhile back about a guy who had some issues with NAPA getting the right part/pump, something about the shaft not fitting 'cause it was the same pump for a different application or thereabouts as I recall...
Old 10-08-2006, 08:12 AM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
I would go with the rebuilt pump.
Old 10-08-2006, 02:03 PM

Received 79 Likes on 55 Posts
yeah these pumps are actaully the same used in many other chry vehicles.... I don't remember all the details about them but they basically use different outlet pressure ports to suit the app. Make sure the rebuilt unit you get has the correct port. I will look up on this topic and reply again.

"The only real differance between a gas and diesel pump is the colar that is pressed onto the shaft and the restrictor valve that is under the big nut where the power hose is...You need a special puller to get it off and an installer to put it back on....DO NOT try to press it on with a hyd. press with the pump assembled....You will ruin the pump if you do....

AS for the pumps interchangabilty.......You can find that same pump on most Gm and chrysler cars that were built in the past 30 years..The only differances in them is the shape of the can and that some have the holes tapped for metric thread.

What you reall ought to do is rebuild the one you have. The overhaul kit is
pretty cheap and there is nothing to rebuildingthe them " -MM
Old 10-08-2006, 03:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ace

But seriously, there was thread here awhile back about a guy who had some issues with NAPA getting the right part/pump, something about the shaft not fitting 'cause it was the same pump for a different application or thereabouts as I recall...

I thing the problem that he had was with getting a non inter cooled p/s pump for a intercooled truck(the vac pumps are different, and req a different end on the vac pump!
In other words, take the pump off first and match it up at the napa parts counter.
Old 10-08-2006, 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by Ace

I check all truck fluids religiously once a week, but the PS pump not in 3 weeks. It was that one drip I noticed under the front bumper that made me check into it. I hate leaks, and my truck doesn't leak a drop, that is, until the PSP. I realize that you're just pokin' fun. Hey, PapeCat, let me know what you find out on that repair kit, okay?
Old 10-08-2006, 07:57 PM

Thanks for posting this thread! I read this, went out and checked my PS pump level and it was LOW! Thanks for possibly saving me some money and a PITA job.
Old 10-09-2006, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by Ilikebikes
Thanks for posting this thread! I read this, went out and checked my PS pump level and it was LOW! Thanks for possibly saving me some money and a PITA job.
Did you notice a slight gurgling, maybe even a slight purring noise coming from that direction? I mean slight because you really have to listen for it over the straight pipe exhaust/diesel clatter. It is well heard as you raise acceleration and quickly release acceleration.
Old 10-09-2006, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by bigragu
Did you notice a slight gurgling, maybe even a slight purring noise coming from that direction? I mean slight because you really have to listen for it over the straight pipe exhaust/diesel clatter. It is well heard as you raise acceleration and quickly release acceleration.
I couldn't hear anything, and mine was below the "add" level on the PS dipstick.