2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

I always wondered where that annoying rattle was coming from.....

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2010, 02:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I always wondered where that annoying rattle was coming from.....

I never could figure out where that annoying rattle was coming from the past few years....Today I found it & now I feel pretty dumb....It was the steering shaft!!!!!!!!!....Guess I should have done some reading cause I didn't realize how crappy the steering shafts are in these trucks....I don't have the steering clunk that a lot of people complain about, but it just rattles.....I'm guessing after reading that the only way to fix it is with a new Borgeson steering shaft....Are they hard to put in?
Old 10-02-2010, 03:53 PM

Not hard at all. Mine was very snug sliding over the gear box splines. Just be patient.
Old 10-05-2010, 09:40 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Aww I thought you were going to say it came from that Prius that got stuck in your undercarriage.
Old 10-05-2010, 08:19 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by VADSLRAM
Aww I thought you were going to say it came from that Prius that got stuck in your undercarriage.

My phantom rattle was from the inner workings of the passenger seat belt clasp. Harmless but not easy to locate at first.
Old 10-06-2010, 07:59 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by VADSLRAM
-Or- the slight rattle from the quality built dash
Old 10-21-2010, 02:53 AM

Originally Posted by mr bill
Not hard at all. Mine was very snug sliding over the gear box splines. Just be patient.
hey bill,

when you put your borgeson steering shaft in did you use the existing flat spot on the steering box connection for the set screw or did you have to flatten out a new spot on the steering box for your borgeson shaft?

I was just having some problems getting my steering centered using the original spot on the steering box for the set screw....

Thanks...Mike
Old 10-21-2010, 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by mstep3
hey bill,

when you put your borgeson steering shaft in did you use the existing flat spot on the steering box connection for the set screw or did you have to flatten out a new spot on the steering box for your borgeson shaft?

I was just having some problems getting my steering centered using the original spot on the steering box for the set screw....

Thanks...Mike
I can take a look Saturday and get back with you. I can't recall of top of my head. Been a long week and one more day to go.
Old 10-24-2010, 07:29 PM

I had a couple that was really irritating. One was the small plastic shield just in front of the steering wheel, under the bezel, sort-of. The other was the plastic rivets that holds the plastic wheel well liner in had broken off and it was flopping on wash-board areas.
Old 10-24-2010, 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by mstep3
hey bill,

Thanks...Mike
Box doesnt have a flat spot on it on mine. There is a groove all around the splines and the shaft slid down to where the set screw goes into the groove.
Old 10-25-2010, 12:26 AM

Originally Posted by mr bill
Box doesnt have a flat spot on it on mine. There is a groove all around the splines and the shaft slid down to where the set screw goes into the groove.
ok. thanks for the info. i appreciate it....my steering box had a flat spot built into it and I wasn't sure if most folks just used it or had to make one....i noticed that the paper that came with the borgeson shaft said it may be necessary to have to flatten a spot for the set screw.....