1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Field Fresh truck....now I got some questions?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2011, 07:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Field Fresh truck....now I got some questions?

Hey everyone... I am a newbie here, been lurking for a while, read about 75 pages of posts looking for answers. My dad built a truck some years ago, its a 93 extended cab 2wd frame, with a 85 crew body, and a shortbed flatbed. My brother replaced the lift pump and while pressurizing the system with the manual lift he blew out some seals on the injection pump. Thats when my father parked it and it sat for close to 4 years. Heres the kicker, I pulled it out last week, put a battery in it and it fired right up. No leaks whatsoever, I have not driven it hard yet but up the driveway, and at idle no leaks. My father said that it was leaking at idle before. fuel streaming out as he described, and now nothing.. So hopefully the ip has healed itself, but now the speedometer spins and the needle is pegged at over 80 mph...very weird. Nice truck now, but I have lots of ideas for it, soon it will be 4wd. and hopefully a restoration of the interior. But really whats up with the speedometer...and also its not charging, should I just replace the PCM, will that fix both problems, or I have heard that you can replace the alternator with a 1 wire from a chevy or something like that... Any ideas would greatly help. I will soon post some pictures...thanks Shawn
Old 11-05-2011, 11:16 AM
9MM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any progress?
Old 11-05-2011, 11:27 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
there is a relay on driver's side fender that work's chargeing system and as for speedo check the connection on the trans
Old 11-05-2011, 11:46 AM

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Your 93 truck comes with one of the best alternators in the industry. I sure wouldn't want to degrade that by putting any GM alternator in its place. Charge and test the battery, clean the connections, and get the charging system working before you start troubleshooting the speedometer.

Not sure what your exact alternator problem is; is the needle permanently stuck at 80 mph, or does it pop up there everytime you start the engine, or does it pop up there as soon as the truck starts moving? How does the odometer act?

If the needle's stuck there permanently, it may have popped over the pin at the end of its travel and is trapped there. You may just have to remove the lens and help it back down past the pin.