Natl. and Regional Chapters / Special Events Discuss events and rallies here. Also discuss your local and regional chapters.

Field days of the past

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2004, 08:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Field days of the past

Any body going to "The field days of the past" here in Richmond? If not, youre really missing out on alot of
-tractor pulling and show and shine
-Big rigs new and old
-Heavy equipment new and old on display and working
-Full scale operating old time saw mills
-Old engines from A-Z most running
-Steam shovels
-Dog races
-Antiques galore
-tractors and tractors
-Restored cars, muscle and older
-Old farm equipment
http://members.tripod.com/~g_cowardin/past/

Great for all ages and all family. Well, most i guess. My bro's fiancee went last year and didnt realy like whole outdoor machinery deal, and no dog races (odd). So, now she calls it the dirt festival . A man's paradise.
-Jake
Old 08-10-2004, 09:18 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I use to pull my tractors there but unless you're in the click and can get away with cheating, you'll never win so I don't go any more. The same ones take the trophies year after year and it gets a little sickening.
Old 08-11-2004, 03:45 PM

Man im sorry to hear that. Didnt know that kind of stuff went on at such a nice event. Oh well, i still cant wait to go
Old 08-12-2004, 05:40 AM
Administrator

Don't get me wrong, it's still a great show to go to, especially when they start racing the big rigs down that 300 foot track. I just quit going cause you can't take a stock antique tractor to a pull and expect to do anything against someone turning twice the RPM you're supposed to turn and so on.

Be on the lookout for an old ragged out faded blue Reo, I think it is, when they start pulling big trucks. Don't let her looks fool you, that is a pulling machine. Check out the size of the rear drive axles in that thing when you see it.

Tapscot Logging has a Marmon or a Western Star six wheel drive putting out about 1400 horse power that is pretty impressive. *** Brothers have a few V8 R model Macks there that he races, that ole boy can jam some gears too.

They were on the verge of getting that big giant diesel to run the last time I was there. I think it is a four cylinder with about an 18 or 24 inch bore. I think they have got it to run since, it is also pretty impressive. Make sure you go all the way out back in the fields and watch the old steam shovels and stuff working too. They also had a couple rotary air craft engines there they were getting ready to set up and run. There is a steam engine there that has something like a 48 inch stroke and the flywheel weighs like eight ton or something like that. The bluegrass bands are excellent to listen too also.

You'll see some really cool stuff but get there early, traffic is terrible.
Old 08-13-2004, 06:50 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Man, I never get to go see the good stuff. Wish I had a chance to use some of the old leave.

I"LL QUIT WHININ" NOW.

Sounds like a great time. Post some pics if you get the chance.

Ed
Old 08-14-2004, 04:31 PM

DD4x4,
When do they usually run the big trucks? Ive been going since 97 and never seen em run? I go on sundays though.

I saw that huge 4cyl running last year, but i think it was running off compressed air and not acually "running" when i saw it. Did they finally get it to run on its own power? I watched them for about 30 mins hoping it would start up.

A guy let me operate a Cat 320 excavader last year out in the back field. Man, that was too cool. I couldnt believe the shear power it had!

Are you going this year?
Old 08-14-2004, 06:08 PM
Administrator

They use to race the trucks Friday and Saturday nights.