ABDTR #5 Alberta Chapter #5 Discussion

1156 km in the past three days...

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2008, 11:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1186 km in the past three days...

on the new company 2009 Ford F350 Ext. Cab 4x4 6.4L Diesel.

To explain. On Sunday, my last day of vacation, the office as in a panic for my 2007 6.0L to get switched out. I've been fighting this for over a year, but I lost the battle and had to reluctantly drive down to Airdrie to turn in my perfectly good 6.0L for this 2009. I am typing from Chetwynd currently - had to fill in for rescue on a job.

Anyway, other than the crappy OEM Continentals, and not having enough room to add washer fluid in the engine compartment even, I cannot complain too loudly about ride, creature comforts, and quite a few other items of this truck.

Don't get me wrong guys, I like my Dodge, but mainly because of the Cummins. I have done a lot of work to obtain the satisfaction of some things, and I hate saying, that Ford is listening to the customer about and are sending from the factory. At what price this is? I don't know because I didn't pay for it.

If it had a Cummins..........I'd buy one.

haveagreatnightasIduckforcoverKerry

Old 12-30-2008, 11:36 PM

I have to agree with you Festus. The new Fords are real nice inside and out. Lots of comfort and thought put into the interior and exterior, that tailgate step is pretty nifty IMO. Its too bad they have that 6.4 for an engine thats shoehorned into the engine bay to boot. I'll put on my flame suit on now
Old 12-30-2008, 11:42 PM

Not to mention the integrated backup camera that displays in the rear view mirror - I doubt I'd actually order as an option, but if part of a package.......

Not to mention integrated aux switches and trailer brake controller.

Not to mention mirror signals.

Whoops........thats a lot of little things mentioned.

Old 12-30-2008, 11:44 PM

It still sucks for power,, and fuel mileage. I agree though nice truck inside, i was looking at them pretty hard

Kevin
Old 12-30-2008, 11:49 PM

Yes..........let's not talk about mileage.............on a full tank from Edmonton, I didn't think I was going to make Dawson Creek.
Old 12-31-2008, 12:13 AM

and that will be a 128 l tank too
Old 12-31-2008, 01:17 AM

I had a gasser 08 when I was up in Mcmurray the first time. Gutless, and sucked back the fuel HARD! I hated the mirrors on it, much prefer the flip out ones on my trucks. Interior I wasn't thrilled about, but I don't like the 3rd gen dodge interiors either, so thats a draw. The company I was working for had about half a dozen of them, there were always two or three down for wheel bearings, broken t-cases or water pumps. Granted, these are company trucks that get abused, but they didn't have that many miles on them. After driving that truck for just about two weeks, I was happy to get back into my truck. Same thing with the 08 E-350 15 passenger van, although that had more jam than the F-250 we had.
Old 12-31-2008, 06:50 AM

we've got a '08 F350 service truck with the 6.4L. it doesn't get used fulltime yet. we CVIP our own trucks, and buddy had to take most of the front end apart to change a rad hose. working on it = major suck. hope you never had to pull a valve cover too.
Old 12-31-2008, 11:16 AM
DRD

I've got an 08 F-350 SRW with the V-10 and so far I like it. Milage/power isn't as good as my old 7.3 as expected though. It would be awesome with a 12 valve in it. I kinda like the Fords, I think they're one of the tougher trucks out there, any diesel engine after 03 I'm not to crazy about. I wish I could have got a 7.3 again.
Old 12-31-2008, 05:46 PM

Neighbor up the street has had one for about a year now with the 6.4,lifted,37"tires ect,a real nice looking truck.He had a 6.0L before and man did that thing have problems(turbo,injectors,hard starting etc).This new 6.4 is a better truck/motor combo than the 6.0L IMHO,now if "DODGE"(are you listening management)would come up with the niffty things like a brake controller/aux switches/ nice creature comforts etc maybe they would give Ford a run for their money.I thought this before Ford even came out with the inter-graded brake controller when i bought my 98 with the tow package---YUP off to install the controller before we can tow anything..The little things do matter.DW
Old 12-31-2008, 11:58 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
We have an '08 F550 at the airport converted into a small firetruck for going into the parkade for putting out car fires. Has a Kelderman air suspension front and rear. At the flick of a switch the air bags dump dropping the truck almost 6" allowing it to fit in the parkade. Pretty neat setup.

We noticed that the fan belt had frayed on one edge and asked the dealer about getting it replaced.....they quoted 6hrs to change the fan belt!!!!
Old 01-01-2009, 12:47 AM

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
I have to say Ford makes a pretty decent truck. I too like those extra features like the integrated brake controller. It looks like even their new half-ton comes with some pretty neat features. To me the biggest drawback is the lack of a manual transmission offered with the diesel.
Old 01-01-2009, 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by torquefan
I have to say Ford makes a pretty decent truck. I too like those extra features like the integrated brake controller. It looks like even their new half-ton comes with some pretty neat features. To me the biggest drawback is the lack of a manual transmission offered with the diesel.
You couldn't have a manual with this truck. The lack of low end grunt would cause one to slip the clutch all the time to get it going.

Like the 6.0L's, I've noticed you really get no boost until 1800 RPM. When it does spool up, you get all of it instead of a steady spool. Weren't the twins these things sport supposed to solve that problem?? Here's the scenario: 21 km of going up a winding mountain road to the plant, 8" of fresh snow with hard packed and ice underneath, OEM tires, and full boost at 1800 RPM with no driver allowance of feathering the power - do I have to say how many times I broke all four loose up the road?? Useless!

Oh yes...."built Ford tough".....uneven road surface up the mountain caused body twist - I have a cracked windshield all the way across the bottom of it. And they wonder why I really didn't want a new truck and was bucking the system for the past year. I at least had "real" tires on the '07. Can't wait to get home to drive me Dodge.
Old 01-02-2009, 01:37 PM

my girl friends dad got a new 08 f-350 as a part time driver. uses a work truck most days. it has been in the shop for injectors, and now some kind of turbo issue. i love the look and interior but i can't afford a new truck and am not paying someone to take the cab off for basic repairs. anyway he says he will be in a megacab asap.
Old 01-02-2009, 04:35 PM
The Guru

I drove my new 08 hemi ram to Fargo North Dakota right off the lot. Only got 4k out it and it need new motor oil. That week I almost put in 5k. The following week I went to Timmins Ontario. In one month I put on 12k. I had to change oil on the side the road once in Swift Current. I got 10 mpg for most of those miles at $1.47 a litre, and had to stop for fuel every other town. Dodge has a long way to go in its service side and that 24 mpg BS is a fantasy. 2010 they come out with a diesel half ton, probably way over priced option.