1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

DIY ac hose part #

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2018, 06:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
DIY ac hose part #

Summertime in Oklahoma. Blazing heat and a hot wind kicking dirt in your eye. Makes living without the ac working in the Dodge almost make me want to drive my powerstroke to work. Don’t judge me. So I decided to do something about it and quickly found out like so many others, the ac lines for the intercooled trucks are unobtanium. I wanted a nice easy plug and play type solution, no brazing on fittings etc. I needed the hose that goes from the condenser spring lock fitting to the back of the compressor, as mine had blown out directly behind the spring lock fitting. After much internet research I came up with a solution. Here are the NAPA part numbers you will need to make this hose.
Spring lock fitting- part no. 405472
90 at the compressor part no. 406902
you will need #8 hose suitable for whatever refrigerant you will be using. I used 28” of hose but I think 26” would get it done. They should be able to make that hose for you and from there you just take the old one off and put the new one on. I have this hose on my 91.5 intercooled w250 right now. I have the part no. to make a hose from the condenser to the drier. These hoses are put on the manifold from the factory as one piece. You will need to cut the old hose off the manifold, cutting it off as close to the hose as possible. Mind the metal shavings, a mini tubing cutter is a good way to go if you have room or take the manifold off. We will use two compression fittings to make this hose, a larger and smaller one as the manifold tubes are different diameters.
Drier compression fitting part no. 401067
condensor compression fitting part no. 401050
you will need to use #6 hose suitable for the type of refrigerant you are using. I do not have this new hose on my truck as mine was good so I don’t know the exact length you will need but these are good part no.s on the NAPA website. I’m sure if someone gets this hose made and puts it on they will let us know if it is all correct or not. If your getting into the ac on your tuck this deep changing the expansion valve is cheap insurance. Failure in Chrysler vehicles isn’t uncommon. My brother used to work as a mechanic at a dodge dealership and suggested I change mine and sure enough it was bad. On a final note if you should ever wonder how much r-290 it would take to charge your trucks ac, 24 oz should do it. Hope this helps someone, if I missed something or you have questions I’ll do my best to help.
Old 07-06-2018, 08:05 PM
TJE

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
You have any pictures? I'm in the same boat....trying to find one is a real pain! Lol
Old 07-06-2018, 08:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I do not, but if you get on the Napa website and put the part # in you can see the fittings.
Old 07-07-2018, 08:57 AM

Received 209 Likes on 152 Posts
If using R-290, I have found it works best if it is mixed with R600a at a ratio of 71:29. Very near R-12 in pressures and performance. Far exceeds R-134A performance.
Old 07-07-2018, 10:29 AM

Received 308 Likes on 234 Posts
This thread sHould probably be stickied. Nice information. Thanks!