1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

D250 Dana 70 wheel seal leak and bearings.

Old 04-23-2018, 07:30 PM
Administrator

Received 562 Likes on 411 Posts
Originally Posted by NJTman
Well, its 3 against one so odd man out.

Lol
Everyone gets one. Now I have never been wrong, except once when I thought that I was wrong ...Mark
Old 04-23-2018, 09:30 PM

Received 209 Likes on 152 Posts
Originally Posted by maybe368
I agree with Mr. Martin.
The following users liked this post:
maybe368 (04-23-2018)
Old 04-23-2018, 10:56 PM

Received 1,637 Likes on 1,112 Posts
So...

I'm,completely wrong..., according to the 3 stooges

Correct????

So, what happens when you use your e brake? Does it lock up the front wheels? Does it actuate a drum / shoe combo on the back of the trans tail housing like my Mitsubishi?

Well. I believe ( I may be wrong ) that it extends the brake shoes as far away from each other as physically possible. From each other ( front and rear shoe ) essentially doing the same physical movement as utilizing the service brakes normally. So, I'm partially wrong, partially correct ?????

So I'm wrong in assuming that the rear brakes don't adjust properly, if you don't use your e brake system regularly...

Or am I ???

Well, I don't know, and right now I'm heading to dreamland to think about rear drum brakes while I sleep the night away.

Night folks
Old 04-24-2018, 07:13 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by NJTman
So...

I'm,completely wrong..., according to the 3 stooges

Correct????

So, what happens when you use your e brake? Does it lock up the front wheels? Does it actuate a drum / shoe combo on the back of the trans tail housing like my Mitsubishi?

Well. I believe ( I may be wrong ) that it extends the brake shoes as far away from each other as physically possible. From each other ( front and rear shoe ) essentially doing the same physical movement as utilizing the service brakes normally. So, I'm partially wrong, partially correct ?????

So I'm wrong in assuming that the rear brakes don't adjust properly, if you don't use your e brake system regularly...

Or am I ???

Well, I don't know, and right now I'm heading to dreamland to think about rear drum brakes while I sleep the night away.

Night folks
Hey T, even if it doesn't adjust the brakes, one should always use the parking brake, for one really good reason. On an automatic, if you don't use it, the only thing keeping the vehicle from rolling is the shifter fork. It is not as critical on a standard, but they can pop out of gear. I once parked my Dodge in front of an abbarotes (Mexican circle K) and when I came out,my truck was gone. I hadn't set the brake, had not left it in gear and it had rolled down a non-discernible hill, about 59 feet...Mark
Old 04-24-2018, 03:01 PM

Received 1,637 Likes on 1,112 Posts
Originally Posted by maybe368
Hey T, even if it doesn't adjust the brakes, one should always use the parking brake, for one really good reason. On an automatic, if you don't use it, the only thing keeping the vehicle from rolling is the shifter fork. It is not as critical on a standard, but they can pop out of gear. I once parked my Dodge in front of an abbarotes (Mexican circle K) and when I came out,my truck was gone. I hadn't set the brake, had not left it in gear and it had rolled down a non-discernible hill, about 59 feet...Mark
I use it every time the truck is parked.

Now the big question.

Goto the what did you do today to your first gen thread, and look for my question to you. Don't want to continue thwarting this thread.
Old 04-25-2018, 09:21 PM

Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts
I checked the left cable I had shortened to 46" oal the Raybestos BC 93587 is 51" oal Last time I got one from Dodge had to gave them the S/N to order it was still to long. Ken
Old 04-26-2018, 02:01 PM

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts
I have not found a left side parking brake cable that is right for the 2WD trucks thay are all too long. what happens is you have a big loop in the cable and the cable wont work smooth and the brakes drag I have tried Dodge, NAPA, Raybestos, and others last time I sent a new out and had it shortened.
I did not measure the new cable, however there is no need for a big loop for it to fit.
Old 04-28-2018, 06:16 PM

I confirmed that mashing the brake pedal does make the adjuster click. The truck stops much better now! Abs light is still on but does not seem to effect the brakes.
Old 04-29-2018, 12:43 PM

I am having an issue with the parking brake not working well. The pedal is tight as it takes a bit of force to get it down. The brakes serm to hold better rolling forward vs backwards. They do not hold well. I still have more adjustment on the cable adjuster however I am scared I might over do it since they are already tight.

I have the shoes set so they just rub the drums. The drums seem to be a tad out of round. I just drove the truck on a 10 mile trip. The drum on the passenger side was 138 degrees and the other one was 110. I am not sure if that is ok or not. They do not feel like they are dragging.
Old 04-29-2018, 01:11 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Grant31781
I am having an issue with the parking brake not working well. The pedal is tight as it takes a bit of force to get it down. The brakes serm to hold better rolling forward vs backwards. They do not hold well. I still have more adjustment on the cable adjuster however I am scared I might over do it since they are already tight.

I have the shoes set so they just rub the drums. The drums seem to be a tad out of round. I just drove the truck on a 10 mile trip. The drum on the passenger side was 138 degrees and the other one was 110. I am not sure if that is ok or not. They do not feel like they are dragging.
When I was messing with the pedal assembly on mine, I noticed that the actuation of the pedal was a little funky. I removed it and noticed that it seemed bent to me. I laid it down on the concrete, with the backside up and gave it a few wacks with a BFH and it seemed to straighten it out. I think that after a few million applications of the brake, it tweeks...Mark Edit: Also, the rears may not be close enough to the drums because of the out of round drums. For such a tough truck, it sure seems delicate in some aspects...
Old 04-29-2018, 05:57 PM

I jacked the truck up to see if the e brake was dragging. What I found was the passenger side wheel was so tight I could barely turn it. The other side was not dragging at all. It was not the e brake. Some how the auto adjuster over tightened the brake shoes. The star wheel was tight and hard to turn.

I know I put it back together correctly. The adjuster on that side is right hand threaded which makes the adjuster arm's upstroke tighten the shoes. I confirmed I have the correct one on there.

I do not want to pull that drum off again. Before installing the drum I set the star wheel just tight enough to get the slack out of it. Once the drum was on I adjusted it until the shoes started to touch the drum.

I was surprised it was this tight as I couldn't tell it was while driving the truck.
Old 04-29-2018, 07:16 PM
Administrator

I jacked the truck up to see if the e brake was dragging. What I found was the passenger side wheel was so tight I could barely turn it. The other side was not dragging at all. It was not the e brake. Some how the auto adjuster over tightened the brake shoes. The star wheel was tight and hard to turn.

I know I put it back together correctly. The adjuster on that side is right hand threaded which makes the adjuster arm's upstroke tighten the shoes. I confirmed I have the correct one on there.

I do not want to pull that drum off again. Before installing the drum I set the star wheel just tight enough to get the slack out of it. Once the drum was on I adjusted it until the shoes started to touch the drum.

I was surprised it was this tight as I couldn't tell it was while driving the truck.
I thought something was wrong with what you had said about the adjusters tightening on hard braking. That should only happen in reverse. That is how you adjust them. Think about it, if they tighten when you brake going forward, they will continuously over tighten. I'm afraid that you have them reversed..Mark
Old 04-29-2018, 07:18 PM

Received 535 Likes on 391 Posts

When slipping on the drum over the whole brake shoes, was it a snug fit at all? It shouldn’t be. Only reason I say this, is I accidentally connected the lower spring that goes from shoe to shoe at one wrong whole, and wondered why my drums went on tight. Thank heaven for preliminary photos, as that’s where I found my mistake.
Old 04-29-2018, 07:55 PM

The drum was easy to slide on. The adjuster on the driver side is left handed thread. I had to reuse it since my kit had two of the same right hand threaded ones.

If the cable being pulled adjusts the brakes, I am sure I have the correct one on there.
Old 04-29-2018, 08:01 PM

If you look at the picture on page 3, the wheel cylinder pushes both shoes out. The adjuster cable is anchored to the parking brake lever piviot bolt. When the wheel cylinder pushes out the shoe, it tightens the cable pulling on the spring connected to the adjuster arm. To me it looks like any braking action will pull on the adjuster.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: D250 Dana 70 wheel seal leak and bearings.