1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

D250 Dana 70 wheel seal leak and bearings.

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2018, 01:06 PM

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts
Were those brakes kind of grabby?
No, not with all that oil and no pad material. It takes a lot of pedal to stop and the stopping power is not great. When it comes to stopping or following other vehicles, I drive it like I am pulling a heavy trailer.

I did not see a deflector cone.

I like the idea of rear disc brakes and for the price in the link that seems reasonable.

With the brackets for a 60 fit my 70 axle? I saw these on ebay: https://www.ebay.com/i/172493177758?chn=ps&dispItem=1
Old 04-10-2018, 02:09 PM
Administrator

Received 562 Likes on 411 Posts
Originally Posted by Grant31781
No, not with all that oil and no pad material. It takes a lot of pedal to stop and the stopping power is not great. When it comes to stopping or following other vehicles, I drive it like I am pulling a heavy trailer.

I did not see a deflector cone.

I like the idea of rear disc brakes and for the price in the link that seems reasonable.

With the brackets for a 60 fit my 70 axle? I saw these on ebay: https://www.ebay.com/i/172493177758?chn=ps&dispItem=1
Yup, those are for a 70. You will need to find a set of 76 or 77 ElDorado calipers if you want a parking brake, although there are other options. Do a search here and you will find lots of suggestions and ideas. I went ahead and bought the egr brakes here:

Dodge Brakes Pricing Page

They are pricey but it is a complete set...Mark
Old 04-10-2018, 02:15 PM

Who needs a parking brake? I just use a PVC pipe between the seat and brake pedal when she is idling or leave it in gear.

A parking brake will be nice to have!
Old 04-10-2018, 02:26 PM
Administrator

Who needs a parking brake? I just use a PVC pipe between the seat and brake pedal when she is idling or leave it in gear.

A parking brake will be nice to have!
If you ever launch a boat a parking brake is a must have, IMO. As a side note, do you live next door to Jimmie Carter? ...Mark
Old 04-10-2018, 02:30 PM

Jimmy and I are fishing buddies. LOL not really. I live out in the County about 5 miles from Plains.
Old 04-10-2018, 02:54 PM

Received 1,038 Likes on 763 Posts
Here's a link to my Service Manual in .pdf form.

https://remote.freeholdconsulting.co...utyTruckSM.pdf

Edwin
Old 04-11-2018, 07:11 AM

Edwin,

Thanks for sharing the manual! I think I may just stick with the drums for now. The kits cost too much for me and I do not want the headache of trying to make something work. I don't drive the truck much. Its more of a weekend run to town truck.
Old 04-11-2018, 12:03 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
This is the best-economical wheel nut kit. The stock nylok nuts are a joke.

These double nuts are the same as the d60 in the front, they fit. I put them on mine.

PMD60SN D60 NUT KIT HUB TO SPINDLE

One socket for front and back, bonus.
Old 04-11-2018, 01:39 PM

I think I have what I need to fix the axle shaft and rebuild both rear brakes. Attached is a picture of my cart.

I need to add another wheel seal and maybe upgrade the shoes to 3 inch since I have new drums. Only thing is, I am not sure if the 3 inch pads will work will all of the hardware or the wheel cylinders I have in the cart.

There are a few more things i need like the parking brake cable adjuster along the frame needs replacing. maybe brake lines. I will have to look at that later.

They list a lot of different parking brake cables. Does anyone know which one is the correct one for a D250 standard cab? Does the parking brake control both drums are just one? I have not really looked at it that close.
Attached Thumbnails D250 Dana 70 wheel seal leak and bearings.-untitled.jpg  
Old 04-11-2018, 02:17 PM
Administrator

I think I have what I need to fix the axle shaft and rebuild both rear brakes. Attached is a picture of my cart.

I need to add another wheel seal and maybe upgrade the shoes to 3 inch since I have new drums. Only thing is, I am not sure if the 3 inch pads will work will all of the hardware or the wheel cylinders I have in the cart.

There are a few more things i need like the parking brake cable adjuster along the frame needs replacing. maybe brake lines. I will have to look at that later.

They list a lot of different parking brake cables. Does anyone know which one is the correct one for a D250 standard cab? Does the parking brake control both drums are just one? I have not really looked at it that close.
The 3" shoes are bolt on, no problems. There are 3 parking brake cables:

1. from the pedal to the adjuster on the drives side.

2. the long one that goes from the adjuster to the pass side wheel

3. the short one from the adjuster to the drivers side.

Is the pic from rockauto? Are both of the rear brakes gunked up with grease? I ask because there are 2 little metal clips, one on each side, that hold the cable to the actuator arm of the parking brakes. I would call rockauto and make sure that the cables that you buy come with the clips, some do, others don't. I know you don't want to disassemble everything before you have the parts, but yours are in such condition and I would suspect that some things are bad. Also, buy the hardware kits too, the better ones come with all the bits. I have always gotten the correct part from rockauto, because I pick the part...Mark
Old 04-11-2018, 02:36 PM

Yes that is from Rock Auto. That hardware kit in my cart has what appears to be all of the hardware including adjusters and adjuster arms. My plan was to replace it all.

I doubt the other side is like this since there is no oil leak. I am sure the shoes are bad since the front pads were worn out.

Thanks
Old 04-11-2018, 02:42 PM
Administrator

Yes that is from Rock Auto. That hardware kit in my cart has what appears to be all of the hardware including adjusters and adjuster arms. My plan was to replace it all.

I doubt the other side is like this since there is no oil leak. I am sure the shoes are bad since the front pads were worn out.

Thanks
I am sure that the shoes are bad, if only from the grease. I don't think those little clips for the p-brake come in the kits. They come with some cables...Mark
Old 04-11-2018, 03:20 PM

Received 1,637 Likes on 1,112 Posts
Originally Posted by maybe368
I am sure that the shoes are bad, if only from the grease. I don't think those little clips for the p-brake come in the kits. They come with some cables...Mark
You are correct. The smell clips on the e brake cable ends do NOT come in the kits.

They rot away, and I will be calling. The dealer to see if they are still available. Otherwise, I'll be fabricating something myself.

The aftermarket brake cables are not consistent regarding the attachment to the levers.
Old 04-11-2018, 04:04 PM

Received 1,038 Likes on 763 Posts

If you go to 3" wide shoes then you should have the 1-1/8 bore wheel cylinders.
Old 04-12-2018, 08:35 AM

I updated the cart with 1 1/8 bore wheel cylinders and 12X3 shoes.

Would you get another speedi sleeve for the other side or a unitized seal or regular seal? It is not leaking right now.

Quick Reply: D250 Dana 70 wheel seal leak and bearings.