1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Coolant fan / clutch fan noise

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2012, 09:06 PM

Received 1,637 Likes on 1,112 Posts
Coolant fan / clutch fan noise

Here's something I learned when I did the KDP in my truck..

Prior to doing any engine work, when you lifted the hood there was a significant amount of noise under there, besides the normal diesel noises our trucks are known to make. There was an overwhelming wind noise that came from the fan shroud / cooling fan area. I didn't buy this truck new, and my other w250 I owned sounded the same.... so I thought this was "normal".

Well, it's not.

With the old fan and clutch on there, you wouldn't be able to hear yourself think clearly when the engine was running. Now with a new fan from dodge, a new fan clutch from my local Autozone (SEVERE DUTY VERSION) and a new fan mount bearing, you can't even hear the fan at all at idle.

FREAKING AMAZING......!!!!! I can't tell you how much nicer it is to work on this truck with the engine running. A completely different experience....

So... point being... if you have the original fan and / or fan clutch, and a lot of wind noise under the hood, replacing them will significantly lessen that Florida Everglades propeller that you have under your hood. At least now I don't have to think about a fan blade breaking off and launching through my hood.....

Just worth mentioning...
Old 09-05-2012, 12:05 AM

Received 1,332 Likes on 862 Posts
Good advice..

I experienced this with my old chrysler wagon. I put a 7 blade fixed fan on it once...cooling issues...and was trying to adjust the carb at high idle. I could barely keep my eyes open, there was so much air being moved. And the noise...man sounded like a jet landing.