1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Converting Dually into Single

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2006, 12:08 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Converting Dually into Single

What all do i have to do to convert a dually 1 ton into a single wheel. I mainly interested in with the front hubs? do they have to be swapped out with different ones, and then what about the locking hubs? Thanks Wes
Old 01-11-2006, 05:55 PM

I dont know very much on goin from dual to single but i just made my single into a dual. I dont know but the studs on the front should be long enough to put a regular wheel on. I know I had to change the studs on the rear to a bigger size to fit an extra wheel on them. But I think that a regular wheel should work on the front end. I'm sure others will chime in.
wheelo
Old 01-12-2006, 01:50 AM
DTR's Night Watchman & Poet Laureate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
wheelo, I am interested in converting my SRW to dually's... what where the costs involved? Is there an off-set issue with the front wheel?
Old 01-12-2006, 04:08 PM

Chrisreyyn,
To start off with, I went to my local Advance Auto Parts and ordered the lug studs for a dually. I pulled my hub off, pounded out the stock studs, slammed in the new ones, replaced the wheel seals and put her back together. Then I ordered 4 1/4 inch wheel spacers from Summit Racing. I put 2 spacers on the studs, then my dual wheel, then my other dual wheel and torqued everything down to 150 ft pounds. Although, I'm about 1/8 of an inch of threads to short. So my threads do not come out past the lug bolt. It will still work though, i have not had any problems. The purpose of the wheel spacers is to set the dual wheel so that they do not rub my U- bolts for my leaf springs. If you need any more help/ sugestions, let me know I will DEFINATELY help you. It is a rather simple job. I'm only 15 years old, I did not have to much trouble with the process.(thats how simple it can be)

Now on the front, I have a regular 15 inch wheel(not a dual), I had to grind the heck out of the calipers . The reason why I did not put duals on the front was, I did not care for how they looked on my truck. I dont know, but i think a dual wheel would fit on the front with little or no modifications.
Old 01-12-2006, 04:24 PM

I've heard and have thought of doing it myself is to convert dwr to single during the winter time when it snow to help with traction. then back when snow is gone. Is this possible without making any major changes. I think it will look funny having a single wheel with fenders.
Old 01-12-2006, 07:05 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
There's a guy around here with an older ('93) chevy dually. He removes the outer duals in the winter, I assume for traction. It does look silly, but he'd look even more silly sideways in a ditch! I believe a d70 intended for the DRW application is wider than for the SRW application.
Old 01-12-2006, 08:27 PM

The SRW rear axle measures 52" (from the brake mounting flanges)
The cab and chassis measures 56"
The dually measures 60"
Old 01-13-2006, 09:46 AM

JC Whitney sells a SRW to Dually conversion kit for 400-some bones! That seems a bit much.
Old 01-13-2006, 12:02 PM

Received 93 Likes on 67 Posts
Hey Wes,

If you want to use single type wheels on the front, you will need to get a set of hubs from a SRW truck. 91.5 -- 93 are the same as the chevy dana 60 hubs, and use the same lockouts. For earlier trucks you can either swap over to the later style/chevy style hub and lockout, or find the dodge hubs and use the selectro lockouts.

The spindles and stub-shafts are all the same, dodge and chevy Dana 60.

Hope that helps.
Old 01-13-2006, 05:04 PM

Wheelo,
I just read your post where you mentioned grinding your calipers to use 15" wheels. I hope this is a typo, but if not, please, please go get a set of 16" wheels and put new calipers on the truck. I have been testing brakes at a major OEM supplier's proving grounds for about 15 years and I'd like to think I know what I'm talking about. Those caliper bridges are designed to the thickness they are because tests are run to determine deflection, stiffness and fatigue life for those parts. If the bridges are thinned, it will increase your pedal travel, cause uneven pad wear and the heat of grinding will make changes in the metalurgy which may lead to cracking. The OEMs drive engineering to the lowest possible cost, so you can be sure there is not a bit more material in those calipers than required for them to be safe. You really can't do with less. Not trying to give you a hard time here, just concerned for everyones safety.
Old 01-13-2006, 05:50 PM

Received 73 Likes on 57 Posts
Don't have a panic attack over the kid grinding his calipers. The place on the calipers where the grinding is necessary does no harm to be ground.

This used to be common practice in the 70's and early 80's to fit 15" wheels to the front of 3/4 ton 4x4; as the selection of 15" mud tires was much better than what was available in 16".

You could go plumb up to 18-44-15 with a 15" wheel; whereas 9.00-16 was as good as could be got in 16".

I have ground dozens over the years; and my old 78 Chevy with over 400,000 miles on it had the calipers ground before it had a hundred miles on it and it is still going strong.
Old 01-13-2006, 06:04 PM

Brainfade,
Hey thanks for the info, I did not know about that. I did not grind them down too much(or so I hope) My neighbor fella across the street and his entire family have been doing this for the last 15 years. He said I should not have any problems(my fingers are crossed right now). My Dad had done this to an old Ferd Bronco and never had any troubles. the maximum thickness that I would have to estimate that I ground off was 1/8 of an inch. I am really hoping that what I done did not screw things up too badly. Hey guys, I appreciate all the help and suggestions that you guys have given to me. Keep up the great work!!!
Old 01-16-2006, 08:46 PM

Kind of hijacking and bringing life to this thread. I'm going to look at a 2wd 91 dually this week. If I get this and decide I want a SRW what is involved? Not planning on doing it but just wondering if anyone has done it. The question that started this post seemed like it was for 4wd. I live up north here and hear they are not great in the snow. I guess I might find out. I'll be back with more questions.
Old 01-17-2006, 02:27 AM
DTR's Night Watchman & Poet Laureate

Originally Posted by MoparMarv
Kind of hijacking and bringing life to this thread. I'm going to look at a 2wd 91 dually this week. If I get this and decide I want a SRW what is involved? Not planning on doing it but just wondering if anyone has done it. The question that started this post seemed like it was for 4wd. I live up north here and hear they are not great in the snow. I guess I might find out. I'll be back with more questions.
There would be nuttin' to it. You and me would swap rear axles and wheels, and BLAMMO...... conversion done.....
Old 01-17-2006, 04:46 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
This thead scares me