1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Clunking

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2009, 07:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clunking

Hello, has anyone experianced a large clunk while turning the wheels at slow speeds or stopped, also happens over some bumps. I can feel it under the cab right under my clutch foot. I have had this for some time now, and keep looking for it but can never find it. It seems to come and go , when it starts happening it will clunk for a week or so then it may be gone for months. Nothing is felt thru the steering wheel when it happens.

Thanks in advance
Old 01-06-2009, 08:07 PM

I had a problem with the leaf shackle bushing getting worn and the spring eye would hit the frame rail in some instances. I also had one of the ball joints get loose and slide in the drag link.
Old 01-06-2009, 08:30 PM

Does it make a difference when you hit the brakes? I had the same thing in the pass. side of my truck. Took the wheel off a couple times thinking I would find something. The last time I pulled the caliper off to find everything looked fine. Before I put the caliper back on I cleaned the slide surfaces and greased them up. Put the caliper back on and it's been fine ever since. The caliper was hanging up and not releasing as quick as it should have.
Old 01-06-2009, 08:34 PM

I have the exact same problem, I get it more of when i go over speed bumps, Though i don't have a clue as to what the problem is.
Old 01-06-2009, 08:45 PM

John, I think you may have hit the nail on the head with the shackle bushing, I just havent taken it all apart to see, But I have always thought is was in the leaf spring shakle are as that is directly under my clutch foot. Do you know any part#s for new bushings. I have redone my ball joints and I know its not there, but I can see it could be the same type of clunk, also my calipers are free and sliding well.
Old 01-06-2009, 09:05 PM

I would guess you have a dana 60 front, from previous experience it makes a big difference in ordering parts. I ordered a set of 4 off of JC Whitney they fit the spring eye but not the one in the frame. I ordered a set of moog for the frame but can't recall the part number. If thats the one you need, let me know I'll find the part number for ya.
Thats a sharpe looking truck, almost a spittin image of mine.
Old 01-06-2009, 09:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sorry to bus your bubbles guys but it does it on 2wd as well, i still havent found it.
Old 01-07-2009, 11:13 AM

hey' guys im the new guy first post bear with me i also have 2wd had same prob and my alinment guy found one of the camber nuts loose and the cam was popping out and back in snug up of all the nuts and no more popping or clunks hope that helps
Old 01-07-2009, 12:09 PM

Welcome greed,

I replaced every part there was on the front of mine, a year or so ago, it did it before and after. I have a friend that has a 92 4x it makes the exact sound. Its almost like someone hitting the firewall with a rubber mallot. It only occors on very rough fields or speed bumps. this has nagged me for 3 years.
Old 01-07-2009, 01:47 PM

Yup, mine does it too...mostly when turning up or down hill (slow speed) Sounds like some one hitting it with a rubber hammer...exactly.
Old 01-07-2009, 03:15 PM

Maybe if we can combine our ideas we might figure this one out, its anoying.
few things iv checked, all front end is new, iv used a jack on the tranny to check mounts and on the body itself thinking maybe a body mount had died.
Old 01-07-2009, 04:04 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I do not know dodges as much as ford trucks but have looked at the rivets on the frame? How about ball joints.
Old 01-07-2009, 04:21 PM

I've looked mine through and through....can't find anything loose or broken anywhere. With my truck i'm almost certain it's the springs making noise... When i oil undercoat it, it changes the sound....Muffles it sort of ?!?
Old 01-07-2009, 09:58 PM

Yes lets combine our ideas I will put mine on the hoist at work maybe tomorrow. If i can get all the dam snow to melt tonight.. Hate working under a truck pooring water everywhere... been listening to this noise for 5 years now was a few more days... By the way My clunk I can actually feel.. more like a sledge hammer hitting the frame for me...
Old 01-07-2009, 10:56 PM

the clunk

well lets see last spring my buddys had a similar sound and we found that the body mount bolt under the driver seat was broke had to try and pull it before we found that it was broke that is about all i can think of for now thanks

Quick Reply: Clunking