1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Building the Tranny 46RH

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2010, 02:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Building the Tranny 46RH

So this winter or when ever she lets loose i am going to be building the tranny. she has done great for me so far but, just not putting the power to the ground as much as i want. so as much as i want a manual im just going to build this 46rh and see how she does. What i do with the truck is mostly daily driver, tow or haul 5k once or twice a week. At times i tow in upwards of 15k but not more than 5 times a summer. i plow a little bit in the winter just for personal use and some light commercial. i have never pulled the truck due to afraid of dropping the tranny, but would like to pull a few times a year. i mostly race the truck on the 1/8 mile or occasionally on the street. but mostly i like to have a fast old truck that doesnt take crap from newer prettier trucks.

Parts list
what do you guys recommend? im looking to be at 400 horse if not more. but as of now i am only limited due to tranny.
money wise im thinkin if i need it to hold the power i will get it but if i can get the same strength out of a cheaper part im all for it. And yes i do know that it takes money to put power to the ground so im ready for the price.

Where should i start with this?
Torque converter- Spec rite, Gorends, and other company that builds a good TC?
clutches? red altos, kolene steels?
planetary? upgrade or no?
valve body- Gorends, Suncoast, - Full manual or retain auto?
other parts that need upgraded?

I am open to all comments and opinions i am just wanting to get a parts list rollin so when i decide to start buying parts i know what to get. also if i could get the names of places to purchase this stuff that would be great too.
Thanks Steve