1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Bouncy dually fix - or how to center your dually wheels

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2009, 05:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes i know these are 1st gen yall are talking about but 300-325ft lbs of torque on lug nuts i way overkill all that is achomplishing is streching and stressing the the studs. Do ypu realize that the torque spec that you gave is tighter than the specs for a 3406 cat head bolts.

Here are the torque specs straight from discounttiredirect.com for 1st gens only

D100/150/D200/250 1972-93 110 ft-lbs
D300/350 (1/2"stud) 1972-93 105 ft-lbs
D300/350 (5/8"stud) 1979-93 105 ft-lbs
w/ flanged 5/8"stud 1979-93 200 ft-lbs
The following users liked this post:
jimtmcdaniels (11-11-2019)
Old 08-04-2009, 05:46 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Dodge says 300-350 ft/lbs, so that's what I'm sticking to.
Old 08-04-2009, 05:52 PM

my question is what do you use to break the lug nuts loose at 300- 35 ft lbs. ?

If i rember correct the specs for those head bolts was around 260-280ft. lbs i believe and i had to use a 3/4 breakover with a 5' cheater on it to break them loose.
Old 08-04-2009, 07:06 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Dodge included special wrench set with a 3 foot bar with the trucks. It works if you grunt a little. I've dropped my outer duals with it at a dyno event (because their impact wrench was too puny) and it's a lot of work.

Standard cheapo 1/2" impacts will not do the trick, most of them are rated for 230-250 ft/lbs. One place that did a state inspection on my truck could not get the wheels off with any impact they had. They had to go down the street to a truck shop and borrow their 1" rig to take my wheels off.

I use a knock-off of a 1/2" IR Thundergun (Harbor Freight "Earthquake" brand) to R&R mine. It's rated at 400 ft/lbs forward and 625 ft/lbs reverse.

I do not torque mine, I just zap them on with the impact and then go over them a second time.
Old 08-04-2009, 08:16 PM

Received 73 Likes on 57 Posts
Smile Can We Agree To Dis-agree On Methods ???

Originally Posted by wannadiesel
One place that did a state inspection on my truck could not get the wheels off with any impact they had.

Right there is where me and the inspectors would have went round and round.

I have adamantly kept air/impact guns AWAY from my truck(s) and especially away from the wheels/nuts; on my stuff, it's a manual hand-wrench or NO wrench.

I see too often first-hand the costly damage that air-guns regularly do to wheel-studs.

Just today, we had a 4x4 3500 GMC to buy four new tires.

He had just came from having brakes done all around.

Needless to say, every nut on the truck was over-torqued and cross-threaded, requiring several to be cut off with a hammer and chisel.

What should have been a forty-minute job at most ended up taking the most of the day, and the poor guy still has to go somewhere and get all 32 studs/nuts completely replaced.

What happens with an air-gun is that once the nut goes on as far as physically possible and the stud has stretched beyond metalurgical limits, the impact hammers it a few thousandths more, pulling the threads inside the nut loose and sort of piling them up, then the next poor soul to come along tries to remove the nut, but the stripped threads won't allow the other threads to "climb" over them, thus the stud then strips and the nut just goes round and round, yet it hasn't backed off at all.

There is no quick and easy fix for this situation.

A torch will also ruin the wheel, especially if it is an aluminum wheel.

The only recourse is the hammer and sharp cold-chisel and lots of time.

By necessity of our work, we have some HUGE air-guns, two that require one-inch I.D. air-supply; these things can snap the axle on a Mack truck, but they are of absolutely no help on a siezed/stripped nut, they only make it go round and round quicker (of course, one might manage to melt them off).

With a hand-wrench, one can "feel" when enough is enough; an air-wrench lacks any feeling.
The following users liked this post:
jimtmcdaniels (11-11-2019)
Old 08-04-2009, 08:24 PM

I agree with bearkiller a impact can cause more dahage than it can help.

I have another question for wannadiesel. You had to have your wheels taken off for a state inspection? Im not from up there but this interested me a lot as to why you would need to do that
Old 08-05-2009, 08:24 AM
Ace
Banned

I believe those Dodge torque specs are probably "dry." There's a big difference in the effective clamping force with torque applied between "dry" and "lubed" threads, with lubed threads being the finer grained or more accurately achieved value, depending again even further on the type of thread lube being used. That's one reason head studs are put in wet.

I think the OEM just assumes tire changes are going to be performed dry by the non-mechanical geniuses BK speaks of. So they just want to make sure wheels aren't subsequently falling off. They couldn't care less if studs get stretched, rotors warped, lugs impossibly frozen in place or anything else along those lines.

I've been putting the SRW nuts on the 1st gen Alcoa wheels at 120 wet for two years, no problem. That's a little less than the manufacturer spec, and they don't state dry or wet. It depends on the wheel. Steel wheels will take alot more before having problems. I put the 3rd Gen steelies on at 130 wet. Lugs never frozen or coming loose. Whatever works, just be aware of the variables and err on the side of keeping them screwed down and check them occasionaly, as well. I had a Torque Thrust II coming loose on my old Chrysler a few years ago. Upped the torque a little on it after that. Good thing I rotate them on a regular basis.

And OBTW I almost forgot, if you do lube the lug threads, make sure you lube the threads ONLY - not the cone faces. That's what seats the lug and prevents it from backing off, regardless of the torque applied.
Old 08-05-2009, 05:52 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Originally Posted by rednekroper05
I agree with bearkiller a impact can cause more dahage than it can help.

I have another question for wannadiesel. You had to have your wheels taken off for a state inspection? Im not from up there but this interested me a lot as to why you would need to do that
Getting kind of off topic but the state inspection (done by state licensed independent mechanics) requires that the brakes be inspected. They look for excessively worn linings, thin rotors and drums, and leaks.

The price for inspection is set by the state and is too low to make a profit while doing a thorough job. Honest shops are always looking for stuff that needs to be done, and dishonest shops are selling work that does not need to be done and parts that do not need to be replaced to the unwary. It's a system that sucks. Your best hope is to find a shop that will check the lights, wipers, and horn and slap a sticker on it.
Old 08-05-2009, 06:21 PM

I know it was off topic but that is intersting to know.
Old 10-02-2009, 11:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The wheels have to be manually centered on the hubs every time they are installed because they are neither hub-centric nor lug-centric. On a single wheel truck, the tapered lug nuts center the wheels. Our flanged nuts don't do a good job at that. And it's pretty obvious that the wheels don't fit the hubs tight enough to center that way.

On my second Gen. I was told by Fred Goeske off Wheeladapter.com to do the same procedure when running his 2" spacer between the rear duals. The first wheel goes on and is centered by the hub. The adapter then goes on and is tightened.
Then the 2nd wheel goes on and the only way to center it, he says is to get a ford wheel which has a bigger center bore, and use his spacer with a machined lip. Or I can use my stock Dodge wheel, get a spacer with no lip, and center it using the method you describe with conical lug nuts. I was skeptical if this was a reliable method of centering, but hearing that this was the correct way to center them from the factory on a first gen makes me feel a little more confident.

Wannadiesel, do you see any problem with centering this way on a second gen with spacers?

Joe
Old 10-02-2009, 11:34 AM

Well I just realized my dana 80 drw has a short raised section right against the wheel face. So I gUess my axle is hub centric. BTW anyone run 3rd gen dually wheels?
Old 10-02-2009, 11:42 AM

Dodge included special wrench set with a 3 foot bar with the trucks. It works if you grunt a little. I've dropped my outer duals with it at a dyno event (because their impact wrench was too puny) and it's a lot of work.

Standard cheapo 1/2" impacts will not do the trick, most of them are rated for 230-250 ft/lbs. One place that did a state inspection on my truck could not get the wheels off with any impact they had. They had to go down the street to a truck shop and borrow their 1" rig to take my wheels off.

I use a knock-off of a 1/2" IR Thundergun (Harbor Freight "Earthquake" brand) to R&R mine. It's rated at 400 ft/lbs forward and 625 ft/lbs reverse.

I do not torque mine, I just zap them on with the impact and then go over them a second time.
My 3-foot bar broke, so I've been using a 1:3 torque multiplier and a torque wrench. With the torque wrench set @ 100lb-ft the nuts loosen at the click and it's about right for tightening. I leave two cone nuts on each wheel for convenience and torque them to about 150, ... much better ride since you pointed this out about wheel centering, and it's in my owners manual which I thought I'd read! I did a lot of unnecessary bouncing until this,
Old 10-02-2009, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by BearKiller
Being in and around this shop ever since I was in diapers, it has been my own personal observation that, due to the near minimum-wage and zero chance of advancement offered, there are no (or very few) mechanical geniuses working in tire-shops.

Knowing that, I would highly recommend anyone needing tire work to leave the truck at home, taking only the wheels to the shop, thus minimizing the damages possible to the truck.

In all the years that I have been driving, NO ONE but me has ever messed with the tires on any of my vehicles, and I have NEVER had a cross-threaded stud or a wheel to come loose.

Another thing, and also due to the low wages and zero incentives, unless a problem is so bad as to be really obvious, very few tire-monkeys are going to "feel" for bearing condition or loose steering and suspension components, nor examine the condition of the brakes/rotors and such; and, most owners are not going to check all of this out at home later, so something that could have been addressed with maybe no expense at all is not noticed until expensive parts have failed.
Hey BK I'll shake your hand on this, .... I've been getting my tires done over-the-counter for years. I started doing this when I couldn't get a shop to clean wheels before balancing, so I got used to wire-brushing them, then dragging them in for balancing, tires or whatever. So there's at least TWO of us!
Old 10-02-2009, 06:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i think if your gonna get tires put on anything heavier than a 1/2 ton pickup, you should visit a Truck tire shop... the one i use here in town for 1. knows to torque my lugs to 350 lbs, and 2..does center my wheels correctly. never a bounce....they are actually the first people to tell me about our "special" trucks...although i think they used the term "P.I.T.A."
Old 10-02-2009, 09:24 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Originally Posted by RollsCoal
On my second Gen. I was told by Fred Goeske off Wheeladapter.com to do the same procedure when running his 2" spacer between the rear duals. The first wheel goes on and is centered by the hub. The adapter then goes on and is tightened.
Then the 2nd wheel goes on and the only way to center it, he says is to get a ford wheel which has a bigger center bore, and use his spacer with a machined lip. Or I can use my stock Dodge wheel, get a spacer with no lip, and center it using the method you describe with conical lug nuts. I was skeptical if this was a reliable method of centering, but hearing that this was the correct way to center them from the factory on a first gen makes me feel a little more confident.

Wannadiesel, do you see any problem with centering this way on a second gen with spacers?

Joe
Sounds like an OK plan to me.

Quick Reply: Bouncy dually fix - or how to center your dually wheels