1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

BFG Mud-Terrain KM's

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2006, 07:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BFG Mud-Terrain KM's

Hey all,

For my next set of tires I was considering BFG M/T's. I currently use the BFG A/T's 235/85R16 in stock size. Will these M/T's work well on my truck? Some commented about the noise & cornering. I am not sure noise will matter on a diesel. I drive mostly on pavement. But, I have a gravel driveway and the truck spins (and the BFG A/T's throw gravel) going up the steeper grade of the driveway. I also have a steep dirt road on property that turns muddy if its been raining at all. Ideally I will divert the water with a ditch and culvert to keep the ruts down (future) but now what happens is the BFG A/T's get loaded up with mud pretty quick.

Will the M/T's be a lot better, or should I stick to the A/T's?

Thank for the comments,
Old 07-05-2006, 08:08 AM
Banned

The MT's clean themselves pretty well and ride well on the pavement considering they are primarily an off road tire. I don't suspect that they will do any better on the gravel for you though. All tires slip on loose gravel, no matter the tread.

Having had 3 sets of BFG MT's, 1 set of MTR's, and now my Toyo MT's I would say you will be very happy with the BFG's as long as you don't load them too heavy. I would've liked to stay with them, but I am towing heavy almost on a daily basis now.

Oh and I have no idea what anyone is talking about noise. I have yet to hear anything other than some stuck rocks tapping the ground and then a loud ding when it releases and hits the wheel well liner.
Old 07-05-2006, 08:48 AM

Go for it, just don't expect the great tire life that you did with the bfg a/t!
Old 07-05-2006, 10:46 AM
Banned

The mud terrain tread will throw MUCH more gravel than the AT's. Not just that, but the pieces of gravel will probably be larger too.

As others have said also, you will notice they wear a lot faster than your old AT's on the street.
Old 07-05-2006, 01:55 PM

What tires do you run now that you load heavy most of the time?

The M/T's are available E-rated and this is what I was going to use.

It was interesting that many on tirerack user reviews commented on the long tire life... maybe that is only on the lighter 1/2 tons on Jeeps?

-brian
Old 07-05-2006, 02:26 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by blueberry
It was interesting that many on tirerack user reviews commented on the long tire life... maybe that is only on the lighter 1/2 tons on Jeeps?

-brian

I would say that's definitely the reason the reviews seem skewed for our trucks. The BFG MT probably does last longer than any other MT tire though...they are definitely great tires, just not real practical on trucks that see mostly pavement.
Old 07-05-2006, 03:08 PM

I am on the other end of the spectrum, I consider the MTs a light duty offroad tire. They plug up in mud quicker than something like at TSL. For your app they are not going to gain you much.

The tall open lugs on an MT can make them feel less stable on the highway, they wear faster, have poorer traction on ice/snow, and wear faster. Now my dads truck is driven probably 75% gravel roads and we only get around 35K miles out of a set, but gravel is hard on tires. We switched to the cheaper hankooks and get just as much milleage for half the price.

But if the only thing you are worried about is a gravel driveway and some light mud use just stick with the AT tires. There are many AT tires out there that do better in mud than the BFGs do.

Andy
Old 07-05-2006, 05:27 PM

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
I have them on my truck 255/86 16`s they were put on by the prev owner. I personally don`t care for them too much, mine are noisy and wearing poorly. Granted I don`t rotate them as often as I should but I`m sort of "trying" to hasten thier demise. Wet roads they`re so-so, ice....I have two words, SEVERE PUCKER...you don`t want to know, really.Snow, pretty good unless you hit an icy patch (see the PUCKER part) Dry road they are fine, I`ve never had them off the pavement so I can`t comment on thier original purpose (mud,dirt etc). The tires have maybe, MAYBE 15k on them and if they go to 25k I`d be surprised, but remeber it`s a "D" rated tire (at least mine are), IMO the weight of a Cummins in front requires an "E" rated tire, and forget about towing with them (again IMO). I`m hoping to get a set of E rated all terrains on it before the snows come again, prob go with either Toyo`s or Nitto`s. My .02, hope the opinion helps,lol.
Old 07-05-2006, 06:11 PM

To put it plain and simple mud tires = MUD, A/Ttires= all terrain, if ya gonna do some serious muddin', get mud tires some don't humm that loud, all terrains are for the boat launches and light mud like under 5 inches and sand.
My Goodrich A/T stock tires lasted about 24k miles (GARBAGE!!!!) Muds have deeaper lugs and with smoking them on the road, showing off, I've had a set last me almost 65k miles. Check out some of the tread patterns you can pretty much look at the ones that will humm the loudest by how wide the spacing of the lugs are. Wider spacing = more noise. Brigstone makes some nice ones without alot of noise. Hope I helped
Old 07-05-2006, 08:24 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by blueberry
What tires do you run now that you load heavy most of the time?

The M/T's are available E-rated and this is what I was going to use.

-brian
My mistake, on the smaller sizes the MT's are E rated. Not in a 285 or a 325.

If the fellas above mean than 50K miles is bad for an mud tire I would like to know what kind of tire gets any better. My factory Michelins were done for at 22K, the next a Bridgestone R273 got me 28K after that it was the BFG MT's in 285. After the 1st set did me 49K I ran them until this March when I went with the Toyo MT in 285 and a load range E.