1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

auto trans filter

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2006, 07:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
auto trans filter

Anyone here using one of these Summit remote trans filters, on your A518 auto? The filter used in this kit is the Fram PH8A oil filter. The remote trans filter kit from Summit is here: http://tinyurl.com/y2gdt3 I was thinking of using one of these remote filters after my 518 is rebuilt. Anyone think that the Fram PH8A oil filter might cause an atf flow restriction?
Old 10-18-2006, 08:09 PM

I run one but im not a fan of fram, i use the WIX 51515. The NAPA 1515 is also the same filter.
Old 10-18-2006, 11:32 PM

Loch,
Thanks for the input!
Old 10-19-2006, 08:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I run a perma cool set up, with napa gold 1515 filter. have for about 6-7yrs. no problems fluid stays nice and red between changes.
Old 10-19-2006, 10:10 AM
DJ

I put one on my Chevy in line with the trans cooler. I used the hydrulic filter from Northern Hydrulics. Oil stays clean longer.
Old 10-20-2006, 12:06 AM

You guy's sold me! Got my order in with Summit for their remote trans filter
Old 10-20-2006, 12:45 AM

Not to mention its a lot easier to change.
Old 10-20-2006, 01:16 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by loch
Not to mention its a lot easier to change.
So do you not use the internal filter?
Old 10-20-2006, 01:27 AM
Ace
Banned

The internal filter on these trans is not much more than a coarse strainer. Any half decent motor oil filter or hydraulic filter is going to catch way more nasties out of the oil. I even run one on my Getrag with an outboard pump to push it, just cause I'm a lube fanatic.
Old 10-20-2006, 01:47 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
So that internal filter is different than a 47 RE filter?
I have thought about putting a spin on filter on my truck, but don't know if that would hamper the flow. You guys put it on the hot line between the TC and the cooler, right?
Old 11-05-2006, 02:37 PM

I am going to install my Summit Racing (Perma Cool) remote trans filter this week. I haven't gotten under the rig yet to trace the pressure line on the A518. According to my 93 FSM (factory service manual) the pressure line is the first line running off the trans, closest to the bell housing.
Now those of you using a remote trans filter, are you plumbing the filter before the tran-air-oil cooler (on the drivers side), near the battery? I assume this is where the remote filter mount would go, not after the trans-oil cooler (under the turbo) on the passanger side?
Also, I picked up a 26,000 GVW Perma Cool trans cooler. Should I plumb this after the factory trans-oil-air cooler, which is in front of the intercooler?
Old 11-05-2006, 04:04 PM
DBF

Originally Posted by broncobilly
I am going to install my Summit Racing (Perma Cool) remote trans filter this week. I haven't gotten under the rig yet to trace the pressure line on the A518. According to my 93 FSM (factory service manual) the pressure line is the first line running off the trans, closest to the bell housing.
Now those of you using a remote trans filter, are you plumbing the filter before the tran-air-oil cooler (on the drivers side), near the battery? I assume this is where the remote filter mount would go, not after the trans-oil cooler (under the turbo) on the passanger side?
Also, I picked up a 26,000 GVW Perma Cool trans cooler. Should I plumb this after the factory trans-oil-air cooler, which is in front of the intercooler?
What tran-air-oil cooler (on the drivers side) near the battery??? You'll have to give me a picture of this one or the FSM page, since my 92 with A518 doesn't have any such thing.

A518 trans fluid leaves via the forward port (as you said) and almost immediately there is a boss with the high-temp switch screwed into it. If temp exceeds about 275*, the switch turns off overdrive to help cool itself down.

Then it goes (if installed - it was an option) to a fluid-to-air cooler with a fan under the bed on the driver's side.

After that, it goes to the fluid-to-engine-coolant heat exchanger on the passenger's side of the engine, under the turbo.

Coming out of that, it doubles back to the driver's side and goes to the little fluid-to-air cooler on top of the radiator.

Then it returns to the after port of the transmission and into the pan.

I would think you would want to install the remote filter on the output line before it enters any coolers, the idea being that any shavings being shed by the transmission would be filtered before they could clog a cooler or heat exchanger.

Then you could put the PermaCool 26,000 cooler after that, in the same sequence Dodge used.

Dodge uses larger lines & hoses than others for transmission cooling; use at least 3/8" ID hose to prevent putting in a choke-point.

Though I've gone on and modified it further, there are pictures of the above cooling configuration in my gallery on TDR.

Regards, DBF
Old 11-05-2006, 06:43 PM
Ace
Banned

The Permacool broncobilly refers to is the filter mount, not a cooler. It doesn't make much difference where in the circuit you physically locate the filter. If you're seeing bits big enough to clog a line you have other more serious issues that no filter will solve. Best way to do it is locate where you want to put the filter in terms of ease of access or space availability, then just reverse engineer the plumbing from there.
Old 11-05-2006, 06:57 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
The cooler should go before the factory water to oil heat exchanger. You can have the trans fluid too cool, the heat exchanger will prevent this.

It does not matter where the filter goes, put it where it's convenient to change.
Old 11-05-2006, 08:13 PM
DBF

Originally Posted by Ace
The Permacool broncobilly refers to is the filter mount, not a cooler. It doesn't make much difference where in the circuit you physically locate the filter. If you're seeing bits big enough to clog a line you have other more serious issues that no filter will solve. Best way to do it is locate where you want to put the filter in terms of ease of access or space availability, then just reverse engineer the plumbing from there.
Actually, he mentioned both the filter (and mount) and a cooler. I've edited my note above to be more clear. Thanks.

Regards, DBF

Quick Reply: auto trans filter