1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Am I missing something, or is this a good "plan"

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2006, 07:32 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Greg, I've not dealt with Brandon at HTT, but I let Paul know that I had a non-IC truck and the compressor housing he sent me did NOT have the flange for the weird tube that takes a V-clamp. Instead, it has a flare just like the original, only 2.5''. My silicone adapter slid right over and the flare holds the clamp nicely. FWIW.
Old 04-27-2006, 07:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by G1625S
Greg, I've not dealt with Brandon at HTT, but I let Paul know that I had a non-IC truck and the compressor housing he sent me did NOT have the flange for the weird tube that takes a V-clamp. Instead, it has a flare just like the original, only 2.5''. My silicone adapter slid right over and the flare holds the clamp nicely. FWIW.

very good info...they didn't answer when I called back to order, so I'll call and ask for Paul tomorrow and see what he can do...

BTW...found me a turbine housing? I'm still waiting on the reply as to whether that other one has the cast elbow or the flange...will the year of the donor not determine that?

Thanks.
Greg
Old 04-28-2006, 07:13 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Yes. I can tell you for sure that all trucks up to and including '98 have a flange.
Old 04-28-2006, 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by wannadiesel
Yes. I can tell you for sure that all trucks up to and including '98 have a flange.

so if I find a '94-'98 with a stock HX35, it'll have the style I want, but I need to make sure it's a 12cm?

I have a friend with a '94, and he wants to upgrade...so I need to see what size his is...

I'll take a pic of his to make sure it's the right kind...I just want to see a picture to know what the differences are...

Thanks.
Greg
Old 04-28-2006, 08:38 PM

BTW...Paul was off today, and neither Brandon or Dennis knew what to sell me...

Dennis said he remembered Paul doing that a couple times, so he'll have Paul call me Monday when he gets back in!!

Greg
Old 04-29-2006, 08:13 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by BigWaylon
so if I find a '94-'98 with a stock HX35, it'll have the style I want, but I need to make sure it's a 12cm?

I have a friend with a '94, and he wants to upgrade...so I need to see what size his is...

I'll take a pic of his to make sure it's the right kind...I just want to see a picture to know what the differences are...

Thanks.
Greg
If it's the stock turbo it will be the right one. The '94 turbo would be sweet because it's a WH1C. The HTT stage III kit will bolt right on.
Old 07-15-2006, 02:51 PM

long time no post...so I'll give an update...

almost all of the parts are here...

I did find a used 12cm housing on Ebay...$51...BUT, the wastegate actuator was busted...HOWEVER, I got a used Banks Big Head actuator for $60 (normally ~$180+), so the total of under $110 doesn't make me feel too bad...

the Stage III did ship and is sitting here waiting...

12cm housing is here, but the Banks Big Head is in route somewhere...as the final piece...

picked up a couple 4" elbows and connectors to make a temp intake tube (just using rubber and PVC from Home Depot for now...will eventually find some scrap 4" aluminum around and make a better one)...

I've towed from Charlotte to Louisville to Atlanta to Charlotte...from Charlotte to Myrtle Beach and back...and from Charlotte to near Charlottesville, VA and back...

so I have a pretty good idea how it performs...

hopefully I'll get guages and upgrades done by mid-August...cause I have to tow back into KY the last week of August for some Jeepin'...and can't wait to see the difference...

Greg
Old 07-16-2006, 08:00 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
since this directly relates to the info I will be looking for in the coming year i thought I better get attached to the thread.

so the 2nd gen HX35 turbo is used for it's 12cm exhaust housing w/ wastegate but the whole turbo is not an upgrade for us until it has been upgraded with an HTT kit.
I was able to pickup an new/old Banks technicooler for it. crossy
Old 07-16-2006, 08:37 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Way to go, Greg! It takes time to assemble the right parts, but you'll be happy to have gone the extra effort. Keep us posted on your results.

Crossy, the HX35 is a good swap not only due to the fast spooling 12cm housing that came stock on that turbo, but also because of the advancements in the compressor housing. Though it won't push the air of the bigger HTT upgrades, the hx35 does have the MWE slots that aren't present on the first gen H1C..and I believe the comp housing is a bit bigger than the H1C, but I'm not entirely sure. If one can be had for a couple hundred bucks, it'd be $$$ well spent, IMO.
greg
Old 09-09-2006, 07:59 PM

figured I'd update this instead of starting a new one...

got the HTT Stage III installed
got a 12cm wg housing installed, with a used Banks Big Head on it

got the pyro, boost and tach installed...just haven't calibrated the tach, yet (I know it's not right, cause it won't even reach 1000 and full pedal)...

got the new 4" intake mounted up between the BHAF and Stage III...

still have the fuel pin and 3200 spring sitting here...haven't started on the pump mods, yet...

ought to have a new crossover pipe fabbed up by end of next week...

almost have all the exhaust pieces rounded up (all freebies)...just need enough to run from end of downpipe up through the bed...alread have the stacks...

it all didn't go real easy...as anybody that remembers a couple of my threads will know...

I "accidentally" hit the backing plate when trying to loosen the OEM exhaust housing and cracked about a 2" section off...ended up finding a member here that just upgrade to the Stage IV and sold me their stock plate...

also, had the turbo rebuilt while it was off...and something went "bad wrong" and it didn't spin at all when I reinstalled it...sent it back to the guy and now it seems to be running just fine...nice little whistle...

one question I do have, though...for anybody running a similar 60/12 setup...stock injectors, and no pump mods...what kind of boost should I be seeing with a 5-speed?

it doesn't go over ~8 lbs around town...and just barely hit 10 lbs in 5th on the interstate...

one of the local guys here said boost was effected by the EGT, and if I haven't tweaked the pump it won't build a whole lot of boost...also, without a load (i.e. running the truck around empty, no trailer) it wouldn't make as much...

I just thought I read on here people were running high 'teens up to twenty lbs on the stock setup...and that the 12cm housing would make mine spool up even faster? I never had a boost gauge hooked up with the stock setup, so I don't know what it was doing...

I just want to make sure everything is "right" before I start on the pump mods...

I plan on hooking up the trailer (with Jeep on it) this week and seeing how it pulls...

turbo seems to be running fine, and the EGT's are definitely under control (stay under 1000F at all times, again with no load...usually maxes at 800F around town)...figured it it was getting fuel but not enough air (like when the turbo was locked up) that the EGT's would be high and I'd see a ton of black smoke...

does it sound like everything's OK? or should I be seeing different numbers on the boost gauge?

Thanks.
Greg
Old 09-09-2006, 08:21 PM
1st Generation Admin

Received 111 Likes on 57 Posts
Pinch-off the wastegate reference hose and run around the block. If you see a big increase in boost, you need to adjust the linkage on that BigHead.
Old 09-09-2006, 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by BC847
Pinch-off the wastegate reference hose and run around the block. If you see a big increase in boost, you need to adjust the linkage on that BigHead.
that was one of my thoughts...but I couldn't decide in my head how it was "working"...

I know that the wastegate should open by boost building in the intake and "pushing" the BigHead open...

but if the wastegate isn't hooked up with vacuum tube, but is hooked up with the linkage, would it be pushing air or sucking air out of the actuator? only reason I ask that is I ran it for a week with the small little red cap on the Banks, and it never blew off from pressure inside the housing...not sure if it would've though...

I'll probably try that tomorrow...would just unhooking the linkage do the same thing? Is there a natural "vacuum" inside the housing that would pull the wastegate opening shut during normal operation?

Thanks.
Greg
Old 09-09-2006, 09:20 PM

one more "basic" question...

does the shaft get "pushed" away from the BigHead? or "pulled" into the BigHead?

just need to know which way to adjust it, if it is the problem...

do we agree that single digits of boost probably isn't right?

Thanks.
Greg
Old 09-09-2006, 09:43 PM
1st Generation Admin

Received 111 Likes on 57 Posts
The linkage gets pulled into the actuator.

If you currently don't have the reference hose connected, then I suppose it is possible the linkage needs checking since it came to you used. If I recall correctly, you can attach a variable air source to the hose and set the linkage so that it just lifts off its seat when you want to start dumping. The linkage screws in and out of the BigHead to adjust if I'm not mistaken. You'll want to check the MAP for that turbo/compressor combo for the right number. Others may know better.

Otherwise it may very well be a case of simply needing to add more fuel.
Old 09-09-2006, 09:57 PM

the hose is attached...but wasn't for the first week...

I didn't hook it up until I hooked up the boost gauge...

I need more info on checking the MAP for my turbo/compressor combo...don't recall any discussion having to change that before...

I had the turbo off when I was swapping the exhaust housings, and messed around with getting the linkage right (or at least what I thought was right)...

I'll be adding fuel...but I want to make sure everything is right at this stage before I move on...

I'll take all the input I can...in the meantime, I'll try to check the actuator tomorrow...

Thanks.
Greg

Quick Reply: Am I missing something, or is this a good "plan"