1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

aluminum radiator for a 93?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2013, 08:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 1972RedNeck
Summit has them for $651.99.
Why on earth would you even consider a POS aluminum radiator. The owner of the towing company that tows for our truck fleet told me he would be out of business if his customers got rid of aluminum and plastic radiators.
Old 01-04-2013, 03:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The griffin radiator is ALL aluminum, including the tanks.
Old 01-04-2013, 06:46 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by robjohn
Why on earth would you even consider a POS aluminum radiator. The owner of the towing company that tows for our truck fleet told me he would be out of business if his customers got rid of aluminum and plastic radiators.
not sure why you would consider the owner of a tow company as good source of reliable info. without a doubt the great majority of work he sees are the results of either wrecks or poor maintenance. while i was skeptical of the style of rads in use today when they first came out--where the tank (plastic) is clamped to an aluminum core--and they did have some initial problems with the gaskets sealing. but that has long since been resolved , probably in late 80s or early 90s. at any rate i would still avoid the clamped style rads if possible. but if the cooling system is kept up they seem to be ok. my first new truck was a 97 tacoma 4cyl and it has this style rad and i have not had to touch it or the hoses and clamps. but even more relevant is that the 2nd gen cummins had this same style rad. my 95 has a plastic tanked radiator clamped to an aluminum core. and it appears to also be original and untouched. now on my 90 chassis cab cummins i put a generic all aluminum welded radiator in it when i did my powerstroke intercooler. turned out super sweet.
aluminum is stronger than copper and lighter. 1" rows can be formed with aluminum much more efficiently(thinner/lighter). and a 2 row alum core (1"ea) cools like a 5 row old school core.