1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Almost lost my house today. Crazy

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2017, 06:51 PM

Received 535 Likes on 391 Posts
Almost lost my house today. Crazy

Wow! What a day! Was just a few yards from lodpsing my house today. 3 of my 5 acres went up in flames. Those firemen are bad a$$ folks, as they literally saved our whole neighborhood. Not one house was lost in a span of about 30 acres that that fire encompassed. i recently have had some work done to my pond, so it's been drained. If it would've been full, it would have been easy pickings for water with the helicopters.

It started by some weed who thought it would be smart to drive home on a flat, so flat that the tire peeled off and he kept on driving on his rim, like they do in the Die Hard movies. Well, a spark came off of it, hit some nearby dry grass, and here came the flames. The sparking was actually witnessed by a neighbor, who tried stomping the fire as it started, but it just took off.

Another neighbor followed that low life to his house, then reported him to the police. Big fines up ahead for that idiot.
Attached Thumbnails Almost lost my house today. Crazy-img_0867.jpg  
Old 10-10-2017, 06:53 PM

This is part of my property, just a few yards from my house
Attached Thumbnails Almost lost my house today. Crazy-img_0873.jpg  
Old 10-10-2017, 06:55 PM

My neighbor across my dried up pond from me had all his vinyl fencing burned/melted.
Attached Thumbnails Almost lost my house today. Crazy-img_0872.jpg  
Old 10-10-2017, 07:04 PM

Received 1,038 Likes on 763 Posts
Originally Posted by bigragu
Wow! What a day! Was just a few yards from lodpsing my house today. 3 of my 5 acres went up in flames. Those firemen are bad a$$ folks, as they literally saved our whole neighborhood. Not one house was lost in a span of about 30 acres that that fire encompassed. i recently have had some work done to my pond, so it's been drained. If it would've been full, it would have been easy pickings for water with the helicopters.

It started by some weed who thought it would be smart to drive home on a flat, so flat that the tire peeled off and he kept on driving on his rim, like they do in the Die Hard movies. Well, a spark came off of it, hit some nearby dry grass, and here came the flames. The sparking was actually witnessed by a neighbor, who tried stomping the fire as it started, but it just took off.

Another neighbor followed that low life to his house, then reported him to the police. Big fines up ahead for that idiot.
I was wondering if some of the DTR guys in CA would be affected by the fires. I've been watching them on the news. We have a good sized one here in OC a few miles from my place but the winds have died down and the courageous firemen are getting a handle on it.

Glad your place was spared. A lot of other people aren't as lucky.

Edwin
The following users liked this post:
bigragu (10-10-2017)
Old 10-10-2017, 07:10 PM

Never had anything like that happen. Now I know what NascarMark felt like. The police were screaming in their megaphones to evacuate, and all the neighbors pulled together and got a plan going. In the meantime, I was able to load up all the insurance policies, hoe owners stuff, life insurance stuff, my rifles, and a few other things. My wife and I have sorta Had a plan for this by hooking up to our trailer and heading out, but the flames came on way too quick.

In the end, we never left our home, as the firemen themselves told us they had it under control.
Old 10-10-2017, 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by bigragu
Never had anything like that happen. Now I know what NascarMark felt like. The police were screaming in their megaphones to evacuate, and all the neighbors pulled together and got a plan going. In the meantime, I was able to load up all the insurance policies, hoe owners stuff, life insurance stuff, my rifles, and a few other things. My wife and I have sorta Had a plan for this by hooking up to our trailer and heading out, but the flames came on way too quick.

In the end, we never left our home, as the firemen themselves told us they had it under control.
Darn glad to hear that! I never knew you were a hoe owner though. Are they hard to manage?
bigragu (10-10-2017)
Old 10-10-2017, 07:22 PM

Received 59 Likes on 39 Posts
Glad you dodged the fire Auggie. Keep an eye on the winds, as they change the situation in a heart beat !!!! For us it was 2 months of dealing with the fires around us. Living with millions of acres of forest around you is great but does have one draw back....no amount of fire fighters or bombers are going to put out the huge fires we had....fire fighting efforts helped but in the end, it was Mother Nature that stopped them..... 23 days forced/ordered out....as you heard, not fun at all. Very stressful.
The following 2 users liked this post by nascar mark:
bigragu (10-10-2017), mknittle (10-11-2017)
Old 10-10-2017, 07:27 PM

Received 97 Likes on 69 Posts
The details in the pictures are hard to see but for a normal crew it would be easy to control. I used to do prescribed burns for prairies with just back pack pumps, a gator and drip torches. Was a lot of fun. If I was in your situation I would have been making a water line around the house. Glad your house survived, it really is amazing how fast that fire can move.
bigragu (10-10-2017)
Old 10-10-2017, 08:35 PM

A lot of the houses that are destroyed have cedar shake roofs. This is stupid IMHO. The wind drives embers for very long distances and when these embers land on cedar shake roofs they catch fire easily. Usually the fire has to get up next to the house to start things burning.
Old 10-10-2017, 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by edwinsmith
Darn glad to hear that! I never knew you were a hoe owner though. Are they hard to manage?
Ha! Thanks for the humor. I needed that one!
edwinsmith (10-10-2017)
Old 10-10-2017, 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by nascar mark
Glad you dodged the fire Auggie. Keep an eye on the winds, as they change the situation in a heart beat !!!! For us it was 2 months of dealing with the fires around us. Living with millions of acres of forest around you is great but does have one draw back....no amount of fire fighters or bombers are going to put out the huge fires we had....fire fighting efforts helped but in the end, it was Mother Nature that stopped them..... 23 days forced/ordered out....as you heard, not fun at all. Very stressful.
My event pales compared to what you went thru, Mark. I cannot imagine being away from home for 23 days, wondering what would be left standing when you did finally get home.
Old 10-10-2017, 08:45 PM

Received 2,392 Likes on 1,576 Posts
Glad things work out for you Augie, even if you are a hoe owner...
Old 10-10-2017, 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by peckens
The details in the pictures are hard to see but for a normal crew it would be easy to control. I used to do prescribed burns for prairies with just back pack pumps, a gator and drip torches. Was a lot of fun. If I was in your situation I would have been making a water line around the house. Glad your house survived, it really is amazing how fast that fire can move.
Peckens, what I showed in the pics was just the 3 back acres of my 5 acre parcel. My house is surrounded by 2 acres of green, and dividing the house area from the backside with the pond is a Nevada irrigation ditch canal. That same canal gravity feeds into my pond. What's not shown in the pic is a bunch more acreage from other people's parcels.
Met with the Fire captain, as he was checking on us. When I asked what kind of charges Mr. Idiot with the driving at freeway speeds with just a wheel was facing, he said currently he is being investigated. But he did tell me it's going to be a bunch of $$ in penalties, especially since the plane and helicopters were charged by each minute of use. Come to find out it wasn't just a flat tire that happened a mile from home; he drove all the way from Grass Valley to his house off of Garden Bar road( for you folks not from around here, that equates to about 30 miles of back country road driving). Another Fire started about five miles from us, before ours did, and it also happened to be on his pathway home. So this guy must have been spraying off sparks from that wheel. He can't say it wasn't him, cause one, he was followed home, and two, there are imprints about 12" apart on the road that lead up to his house. Me, personally, I'd like to hang him for what he caused. There's a lot of old folks around here, and if this place would've went up in blazes, those folks would not have made it out.

As far as a water line, lol, that's the first thing I did, was turn on all the sprinklers surrounding my house. I have a 2HP submersible well pump strictly for irrigation, that can easily run 10 large area coverage sprinklers no problem.
The following 2 users liked this post by bigragu:
peckens (10-11-2017), thrashingcows (10-10-2017)
Old 10-10-2017, 08:56 PM

Received 1,332 Likes on 862 Posts
Wow glad things were able to be controlled by the firefighters....as Nascar Mark mentioned the fires here in BC this year were insane! We had 10,000+ evacuees here in town from all over mid to northern BC. Even had a couple small ones close to home from lightening strikes....but thankfully they put them out within 24 hours. Scary stuff for sure!
bigragu (10-10-2017)
Old 10-10-2017, 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by edwinsmith
A lot of the houses that are destroyed have cedar shake roofs. This is stupid IMHO. The wind drives embers for very long distances and when these embers land on cedar shake roofs they catch fire easily. Usually the fire has to get up next to the house to start things burning.
I have 3 dimensional composition roof on my house. Nevada county does not allow wood shake roofs where I'm located. One of the codes the building dept changed after my remodels were done, were that all window, door, and corner trim had to be of composite materials, and open eaves were no longer allowed. All eaves had to have a built in soffit with soffit screens for ventilation. I think when I repaint my house in two years, I'm going to redo all the trim to composite.
thrashingcows (10-10-2017)

Quick Reply: Almost lost my house today. Crazy