1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Air filters again,sorry guys.

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2004, 08:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Air filters again,sorry guys.

Man,I just read waaaay to much about air filters on the "search",and the conclusion was inconclusive,guys love k+n,others dont,same with afe and others.

Is there a short answer to a "first step" above factory filters?

I'm just looking to run 250hp or so from my 1992.and I am somewhat partial to paper filters.

I also read somthing about drilling holes in the factory air filter housing,and a heat shield,any pics or desriptions for doing this on a '92?thanx again.
Old 06-14-2004, 09:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I recently had problems with fine dust getting past my K&N cone filter, even though it had a pre filter around it. I'm currently running an aFe proguard 7(time will tell). If your partial to paper stick with it, with holes in the filter box it might suport 250hp(somebody here will know for sure). Good luck, Dave.
Old 06-14-2004, 10:01 PM

speaking of holes in the filter box,I just pulled the filter element and found the previous owner (just bought truck) has completly blocked off (tin and silicone) the original air intake into the air filter box,and has instead drilled about fifty 3/8"
holes into the top of the filterbox,then made a tin shield going from the fender skirt to the rad cradle,

Is this standard practice?I dout it,shouldnt we be running the factory inlet and additionaly some drilled holes?

of caurse the tube going from the rad cradle to the block off inlet is now missing as well.
Old 06-15-2004, 06:57 AM
I was banned per my own request for speaking the name Pelosi

You may just be happier going with a BHAF and copying an old smoky mount, get rid of that mess. You could use the AFE with the mount as well. I used the factory replacement AFE and at first I got a bit of the residue on the turbo blades. Wiped off and nothing since. Napa charged me almost as much for the BHAF as the AFE, so when it got used up, I went back to the AFE. I haven't got around yet to look for a cheaper source, but I've read that they are out there. When I change filters, I always use gasket sealant too.
Old 06-15-2004, 06:45 PM

Well,I just bought the aFe replacement filter today,I'll run my paper for the dusty seasons (seeding+harvest) and I'll try the afe for the rest of the year.

But,when I removed the factory element,I see the previous owner blocked off the factory inlet at the bottem of the filter box,and instead drilled about fifty 3/8" holes on the top of the box,my question is should I just use the drilled holes or should I use the factory inlet as well?the little tube running from the rad cradel to the filter box is missing.thanxthanx