1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Aftermarket Lift Pumps

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2016, 12:30 PM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Aftermarket Lift Pumps

How many of you first gen guys are running an aftermarket lift pump like Fass or airdog? I'll be pulling my injection pump off to fix a few leaks that have showed up recently, and figured I might install a new fuel delivery system while I'm at it, as the old system is in dire need of an upgrade.

Any thoughts/opinions would be greatly appreciated!
Old 02-25-2016, 12:36 PM
Banned

Received 93 Likes on 73 Posts
no need for the fass or airdog setups as your ve pump can only handle about 18 psi max inlet fuel pressure. 15 psi is the safe upgrade. install a mechanical piston pump in place of your stock diaphragm lift pump. can piece together the whole setup for around $120. pump on eBay and rest of the pieces from Cummins Parts | Engines | New & Remanufactured

pump i use
Ebay ads not allowed on DTR

and rest of the parts you'll need
Name:  32131New_Parts.jpg
Views: 7674
Size:  49.9 KB
Old 02-25-2016, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by j.fonder
no need for the fass or airdog setups as your ve pump can only handle about 18 psi max inlet fuel pressure. 15 psi is the safe upgrade. install a mechanical piston pump in place of your stock diaphragm lift pump. can piece together the whole setup for around $120. pump on eBay and rest of the pieces from Cummins Parts | Engines | New & Remanufactured

pump i use

Can you see a noticeable difference in terms of fuel pressure/delivery with that upgrade j.fonder? I initially leaned towards fass/airdog due to the fact that it bypasses all factory fuel lines, which have seen better days on my truck. Did you by chance upgrade your fuel lines along with the pump upgrade?
Old 02-25-2016, 01:11 PM
Banned

Received 93 Likes on 73 Posts
Originally Posted by jruthven
Can you see a noticeable difference in terms of fuel pressure/delivery with that upgrade j.fonder? I initially leaned towards fass/airdog due to the fact that it bypasses all factory fuel lines, which have seen better days on my truck. Did you by chance upgrade your fuel lines along with the pump upgrade?
well in this setup you're replacing the line from the lift pump to injection pump. if your fuel lines are bad, you'll have to replace them whether you use the piston pump or fass. meaning you can run a new line from tank to piston pump just as easily as you can from tank to fass.

i still have factory lines from the lift pump to tank. i do however drill my banjo bolts slightly larger whenever i remove one. not sure it helps, but i figure why not.

if you like spending money and relying on an electric pump, then go with the fass. but for 1/4 the cost, better reliability, and more fuel than you'll ever need, i'll stick with the piston pump.

edit: yes, its a noticeable difference. pulls harder on the top end. stock pump is ~5 psi, piston pump is set at 15psi
Old 02-25-2016, 02:17 PM

Received 2,394 Likes on 1,577 Posts
X2 Fass electric pumps being a waste of cash and time on a VE pumped 12V.

Install the piston lift pump would be my call as well, as pictured above by j.fonder.
Old 02-25-2016, 03:26 PM

well in this setup you're replacing the line from the lift pump to injection pump. if your fuel lines are bad, you'll have to replace them whether you use the piston pump or fass. meaning you can run a new line from tank to piston pump just as easily as you can from tank to fass.

i still have factory lines from the lift pump to tank. i do however drill my banjo bolts slightly larger whenever i remove one. not sure it helps, but i figure why not.

if you like spending money and relying on an electric pump, then go with the fass. but for 1/4 the cost, better reliability, and more fuel than you'll ever need, i'll stick with the piston pump.

edit: yes, its a noticeable difference. pulls harder on the top end. stock pump is ~5 psi, piston pump is set at 15psi
I hate spending money, especially considering I have a tight budget between my truck and paying for school, so thanks for bringing this mod to my attention. Really all I am going for is reliability, and it sounds like this piston pump has been pretty good to you. Top end fueling is definitely something I would like to increase, I just figured I would look for ideas in terms of fuel system upgrades while I had my pump off. Is the piston pump pretty easy to install in general?
Thanks for the info!
Old 02-25-2016, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by oliver foster
X2 Fass electric pumps being a waste of cash and time on a VE pumped 12V.

Install the piston lift pump would be my call as well, as pictured above by j.fonder.
Thanks Oliver, in doing some more research it seems as though a majority of guys prefer that piston pump.
Old 02-25-2016, 03:37 PM

Received 2,394 Likes on 1,577 Posts
They supply more than enough fuel flow and pressure for a 1st gen.
They are also pretty cheap and I have seen them go 250,000 miles dozens of times.

Fass / Air Dogs electric pumps are neither cheap or that reliable.
I have gone through three Air Dog electric pumps [it is ready for another judging from the groaning it is making] in 130,000 miles on my 24V '01.
Old 02-25-2016, 06:54 PM

Received 600 Likes on 437 Posts
I have never had an electric fuel pump on anything that was reliable.
Old 02-25-2016, 08:53 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I went with a Beans fuel sump, 1/2" lines all the way through the whole system, a 2nd gen Carter plp to an Aeromotive bypass regulator. I can't pull it less than 10 psi no matter what i do. Love it. I've got almost as much as an Airdog in my setup but went with Vulcan Performance high flow fittings at every connection as well. Plus it's mechanical. I hate writes lol
Old 02-25-2016, 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by Vader93
I went with a Beans fuel sump, 1/2" lines all the way through the whole system, a 2nd gen Carter plp to an Aeromotive bypass regulator. I can't pull it less than 10 psi no matter what i do. Love it. I've got almost as much as an Airdog in my setup but went with Vulcan Performance high flow fittings at every connection as well. Plus it's mechanical. I hate writes lol
Vader93, what did you go with as far as your fuel line goes? There are so many options, was just curious what you installed.
Old 02-25-2016, 09:37 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Vader93, what did you go with as far as your fuel line goes? There are so many options, was just curious what you installed.
Just some good ol American made diesel rated fuel line from the local Mennonite Auto Parts Store. Can't remember the name, nor the price
Old 02-27-2016, 11:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
been very pleased with my hungry diesel piston lift pump.
Old 06-06-2016, 03:42 AM

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts
what fitting do you need to plumb in the factory line coming from tank to piston pump ? bushing ,reducer, I guess? inlet looks much larger
Old 06-06-2016, 03:44 AM

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

pump i use

what fitting do you need to plumb in the factory line coming from tank to piston pump at location #1 ? bushing ,reducer, I guess? inlet looks much larger

Quick Reply: Aftermarket Lift Pumps