1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

After checking prices, I have made up my mind.

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2022, 07:31 PM

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts
Thumbs up After checking prices, I have made up my mind.

I visited my local Dodge Ram dealer and was put into serious sticker shock. Chrysler and all the vehicle manufactures have lost their collective minds offering junk for gold. It has been known for years the more gadgets added to anything, the more that breaks. These old Dodge trucks last because they are simple and anyone with a little knowledge and talent can work on them. Even though I don't have all the knowledge, equipment or desire to do a frame off restoration, I can bring it back up to some of it's former glory and above all FUNCTION. I will in the future provide experiences, photos including achievements and failures. All this will start in the next couple weeks.
First thing is to clean out a portion of my nasty garage so I can do somethings in comfort. Cleanliness is next to Godliness so the story goes and I have a lot of cleaning before I start.
As I said, I have been down this road before about three years ago. My goal is to hit 400 horsepower off the VE and roll coal to a minimum. (no guarantees on the latter)
The following 6 users liked this post by Boatnik:
1STGENFARMBOY (03-24-2022), BHD (02-26-2022), edwinsmith (02-23-2022), nothingbutdarts (02-24-2022), oliver foster (02-24-2022), u2slow (02-25-2022) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 03-05-2022, 07:13 AM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
did u get it yet ?

Old 03-05-2022, 08:29 AM

Have not received anything frrom ARP yet. Sam said it would be the middle of the month before I could get the new kit. I checked other sources and it seems the pandemic has caused delays there too. As soon as they arrive I will let you all know. I had some nasty cancer removed from my bald head this week and today is the first day I felt like getting out in the garage to clear out enough room to set up shop and start tear down. And no, the truck won't fit in the gsrsage with enough room to work.LOL
Old 03-05-2022, 12:50 PM

Received 347 Likes on 286 Posts
I had 'Dodge sticker shock' at least 10 years ago. That's when the woman humbly decided a used $10k Jeep was good enough. ()

I would get my engine going without ARP studs. Get the Mighty head bolts, or similar from Fastenal. IMHO, a 250hp driver is waaaaaay better than a 400hp build in pieces. Don't be shy about doing it again later (you may not - can start with another engine instead). There's always time and money to do it again when you're not enslaved to a truck payment.

The following 2 users liked this post by u2slow:
nothingbutdarts (03-05-2022), Rug_Trucker (04-24-2022)
Old 03-06-2022, 10:39 AM

Received 147 Likes on 111 Posts
Originally Posted by Boatnik
I visited my local Dodge Ram dealer and was put into serious sticker shock. Chrysler and all the vehicle manufactures have lost their collective minds offering junk for gold. It has been known for years the more gadgets added to anything, the more that breaks. These old Dodge trucks last because they are simple and anyone with a little knowledge and talent can work on them. Even though I don't have all the knowledge, equipment or desire to do a frame off restoration, I can bring it back up to some of it's former glory and above all FUNCTION. I will in the future provide experiences, photos including achievements and failures. All this will start in the next couple weeks.
First thing is to clean out a portion of my nasty garage so I can do somethings in comfort. Cleanliness is next to Godliness so the story goes and I have a lot of cleaning before I start.
As I said, I have been down this road before about three years ago. My goal is to hit 400 horsepower off the VE and roll coal to a minimum. (no guarantees on the latter)

I am sooo with this guy. Lol
Old 03-06-2022, 07:12 PM
BHD

Received 386 Likes on 256 Posts
Originally Posted by u2slow
I had 'Dodge sticker shock' at least 10 years ago. That's when the woman humbly decided a used $10k Jeep was good enough. ()

I would get my engine going without ARP studs. Get the Mighty head bolts, or similar from Fastenal. IMHO, a 250hp driver is waaaaaay better than a 400hp build in pieces. Don't be shy about doing it again later (you may not - can start with another engine instead). There's always time and money to do it again when you're not enslaved to a truck payment.
That is my exact plan. The ARP stuff isn't that good when you get down to the engineering of the fasteners. "Slightly" better than stock, but reusable.
I bought the 12.9 grade socket head bolts from McMaster for less then half the cost of ARP. Bolts are bolts, unless they are TTY.
Old 03-12-2022, 06:44 PM

Finally got the garage ready to start teardown as soon as the weather gives me a break along with other life issues. I'm retired....completely. Mother passed away last December, she was 98, and her house is almost sold. Still have to do the closing and split the money with my sister. I also have a couple places to get removed on my skin do to sun damage and that prohibits me from picking anything up heavier than a beer full bottle for three days after surgery. I tell you what, "Getting old ain't for the faint of heart".
Old 03-21-2022, 07:44 PM

I am still waiting on studs. However I got a 10.9 grade flange bolt and after spacing it up enough to prevent thread binding i torqued it to 125 ft:lbs. Drove the truck a short run to the trash dump and didn't notice any leakage,
So today i installed a new turn signal switch and fixed a couple lamps so I can get my overdue and stupid state inspection done. I am not against safety by any means but these inspections are more political and OCD than anything else. They can fail you if your license plate light doesn't work but worn out shocks will pass as long as they don't leak. Go figure.
Old 03-21-2022, 07:45 PM

Has anyone had experience with ported heads? I need more air or I have to cut back on fuel.
Old 03-22-2022, 09:32 PM

Ok guys, I must not be selling this right. I am saving my truck from the crusher. Today I replaced the turn signal switch. It was easy . And I am in the process of replacing the heater blower motor. The original wiring leaves a lot to be desired. Rain tomorrow so I can't work on it. However thursday I will run new wires.
The following users liked this post:
edwinsmith (03-23-2022)
Old 03-23-2022, 10:45 PM

Rain came late as usual. Switch is installed, power to the fan is run. Only need to run the ground from the switch and install a fuse on the power side.

Old 04-23-2022, 07:53 PM

ARP informed me this week that it will be sometime after June before they get the material to manufacture my studs. They also told me ANY moisture can ruin trhe studs that I had. Why in the world would anyone use something that has to be installed in an inert atmosphere? I am in the southeast. Humidity abounds. Summers can be worst than the tropics. I work outside. Go figure.
Old 04-24-2022, 06:46 AM

Received 80 Likes on 66 Posts
I get to stand in the driveway today. Finish my 3200 governor spring install. It will be 86* with low humidity. Low humidity will soon pass for the summer season coming up.