1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

advice on seeling a truck to someone...

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2008, 08:42 PM

Received 535 Likes on 391 Posts
advice on seeling a truck to someone...

...who knows nothing about a 1st gen except that diesels in general make good towing vehicles. He tows a horse trailer and a pile high of hay at a time. What he is getting is my formerly well cared for D250 CC automatic with full guages, fuel pin turned to max depth, fuel screw 2 turns, stocker lift pump and stocker turbo. The truck has a BD torque converter. Let me get to the point. I have BD 40 hp injectors on there, and I made it clear to the buyer to keep an eye on the guages. For me when I owned it, EGT's were never a problem 'cause I never towed. I still have the truck in possesion, and was wondering if I should talk to the buyer about letting me put stocker injectors back in, for fear that he (or his wife; both are horse people) won't keep an eye on the guages and trash something.( I stressed the importance of monitoring the guages). My thoughts are this: for us people on DTR it seems that the majority of mods focus on go fast upgrades, while the few of the people out there (definately not belonging to any diesel forum)who own diesels don't even have a clue what EGT stands for. Part of the selling feature was if the buyer bought the truck, I would do light duty maintenance such as oil changes, and so forth. I would hate for them to see me in a year and tell me they fried something, which I know for sure would happen due to a lack of diesel maintenance saavy.

Should I propose switching out the injectors or leave it be? I have the truck in my possesion for only a couple of more days, so your advice will greatly be appreciated.
Old 03-31-2008, 08:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Take it back to stock, pull the injectors and gauges. You'd have them for your truck or another 1st gen if you ever bought another. Or sell.
Old 03-31-2008, 08:50 PM

If it makes you more comfortable (or sleep better at night), why not turn the fuel screw back to stock setting and rotate the fuel pin back to stock setting? It will probably make a huge difference and can be done in less than 20 minutes. Let the purchaser know what you did, and tell them after a few months of towing etc and if the temps are way down, you would have no probs turning the screw for him to see how it performs. Beats pulling the injectors anyhow, I doubt he could max out EGT's with the described set-up.
Old 03-31-2008, 09:19 PM

If he has horses, make sure the check clears first! Only slightly ha ha.

In big print AS IS signed by the buyer. And detune it if you don't know if it can stay cool while floored by anyone.

I pesonally have had to haul home a truck when the last word was "DO NOT TOW IN OVERDRIVE!!!" Guess what they did directly after that?

If you would never see the new owner again, leave it. But since you will stay involved, make it amature proof.
Old 04-01-2008, 09:17 AM
DTR's Night Watchman & Poet Laureate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
WHy not just spend an afternoon with the guy, hook up his trailer and go for a ride? see how the truck performs?
Spend some time teaching him about the engine and what the EGT's mean and how to use what he is buying?
Most people arent total idiots, and the majority of folks I know who are involved with horses are very careful of their trucks, since the last thing you want is to be stranded somewhere with a trailer full of animals....
You will probably both feel better about the deal and you'll sleep better at night and perhaps make a new diesel buddy at the same time..
Old 04-01-2008, 10:58 AM

WHy not just spend an afternoon with the guy, hook up his trailer and go for a ride?
that sounds like the easiest solution of all

tks,
rjm
Old 04-01-2008, 05:20 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
I'm with Bill, pull the injectors.