1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

92 Died, Just Shut Down!

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2010, 07:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
92 Died, Just Shut Down!

I posted over in the HELP section but wanted to throw one out here too cause I'm in a bind. Was running down the road doing about 50mph and she just shut down. Engine quit due to loss of power. I coasted over to side of road, tried to start but have NO power from ignition switch. Battery is hot, fired right up when I left home. Headlights & flashers work but no turn signals, not sure what else isn't working outside the cab. No gauges, radio, nothing from ignition at all. Not fuel related, this is something electrical. All connections & cables look fine on battery, starter, & alt. Nothing burned, broken, or odd smelling. Could it be the ECM? What else? Any help appreciated.

WHEN I SAID "TRIED TO START" I MEAN I TURNED THE KEY BUT NOTHING HAPPENED. EVERYTHING ON THE DASH IS DEAD. DOESN'T TRY TO CRANK AT ALL.
Old 08-02-2010, 07:17 PM

Location: A 5th dimension, beyond that which is known to man.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
fuel solenoid wire mighta came off.

look at the part circled in green... see if the wires are hooked to it

Name:  I-Pump-edit-1.jpg
Views: 6271
Size:  117.7 KB
Old 08-02-2010, 07:18 PM
DTR's "Cooler than ice cubes 14 miles North of North Pole" member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
If you are stuck alongside the road, you can run a jumper to the shutdown solenoid then jump the terminals at the starter to get running and limp home. Don't forget to block the seeding wheel with the key.....

Once you are home, start looking at the ignition switch and associated wiring.
Old 08-02-2010, 08:38 PM

I ain't no guru by any means, but I'm inclined to agree with OFCMarc, I'd be looking real close at the ignition switch. In saying that, JBradley could also be accurate in his diagnosis. ... I'm not helping at all, am I?!
Old 08-02-2010, 08:44 PM

Check the fusable links on the left inner fender near the hood hinge.
Old 08-02-2010, 08:48 PM

JBradley500, 2 wires connected where you're showing. Also another doo-dad below pump with one wire. Sorry, I don't know what everthing is. Which is the shutdown solenoid? All wires are in good shape, in fact, the whole wiring harness is pristine in this truck.
ofcmarc, we towed the truck home so I could look at it, not sure of what to jump where so didn't want to take any chances. Are you saying run a hot wire to the solenoid? I still don't know what the shutdown solenoid is? Then jump directly to the starter from battery?
I pulled the covers on the column to check the ignition switch, like I said, all the wiring looks like new. I have 12 volts on a heavy pink/black wire and 12v between it and all but 2 other wires. Might stop & get a switch tomorrow & try that.
What about the ECM? Should I be considering it?
Thanks!
Old 08-02-2010, 09:19 PM

The one circled in green is the shutdown solenoid. Check for power there with the key on. The fusable links burn inside and some times you cant even tell from outside. Check them all with an ohlm meter before you waste your money on parts you may not need. I am pretty sure that the ecm cant shut the truck off like that. Does it crank and not start or does it not even crank at all?
Old 08-02-2010, 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by Onemoparnut
The one circled in green is the shutdown solenoid. Check for power there with the key on. The fusable links burn inside and some times you cant even tell from outside. Check them all with an ohlm meter before you waste your money on parts you may not need. I am pretty sure that the ecm cant shut the truck off like that. Does it crank and not start or does it not even crank at all?
Thanks. Been reading some other posts to "edu-macate" myself! I'll check the links tomorrow. Does not crank at all, no power at all when turning the key. I know I have power at the ignition switch but have not checked at the FSS because I didn't know what it was Now I know what the FSS & KSB are.
Old 08-02-2010, 09:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by JW's3Dodges
Thanks. Been reading some other posts to "edu-macate" myself! I'll check the links tomorrow. Does not crank at all, no power at all when turning the key. I know I have power at the ignition switch but have not checked at the FSS because I didn't know what it was Now I know what the FSS & KSB are.
Check the links for power i replied to your help posting, with as much as you have dead and the way it quit that is what i would bet on.
Old 08-02-2010, 09:40 PM

The fss is the part circled in green in the first picture it has 2 wires going to it. The ksb is on the side of the pump it has one wire going to it.
Old 08-02-2010, 09:41 PM

Man, what an awesome bunch of folks on this site! It was the orange fusible link! I spliced in a section of 20ga. wire just to make sure & she fires right up! I would have been looking for years, changing ignition switch & who knows what else. I'll get it fixed right tomorrow when I have light & can see. Thanks for all the help, hope I can be of some assistance to someone.
Old 08-02-2010, 09:44 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Put 12 volts to the FSS and take a big wrench and touch it to the battery cable terminal and the small wire on the starter. Don't know about the 92 but on my 90 the FSS and gauges are run by the same post on the keyswitch, so if I turn the key on but not to run I can have gauges, too.

I keep a wire with a female spade terminal and alligator clip on it in my little tool box in the truck just in case.

What does the lever in red do?
Old 08-02-2010, 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by JW's3Dodges
Man, what an awesome bunch of folks on this site! It was the orange fusible link! I spliced in a section of 20ga. wire just to make sure & she fires right up! I would have been looking for years, changing ignition switch & who knows what else. I'll get it fixed right tomorrow when I have light & can see. Thanks for all the help, hope I can be of some assistance to someone.
Glad to help!!!
Old 08-03-2010, 08:46 AM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
case opened 812
case closed 1041

DTR is amzing