1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

5.9 Ford Cummins

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2017, 03:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking 5.9 Ford Cummins

OK I have access to a 5.9 Cummins out of a 199? F700 . Ran great when pulled . Low mileage but I can only imagine the hours on it . It was in a boom truck that didn't go more than 50 miles a day . It has a P-Pump & an allison at545 attached to it .

My plan is to install it in my '82 4x4 RC . Has a 318 , np435 now . I have a getrag 5psd setup with transfer case & axles from a '90 W250 .

Any thoughts ? Pros & cons ? Anyone know the differences between the Ford & Dodge engines ?

I know I will need the engine mounts & brackets , The rear engine plate & I will have to wing it for intercooling & exhaust .

Anyone intercooled one of these behind the original grille ?

Just sold my Crew Cab so still planning since I need it for the winter & will have to do his in the fresh air in the spring .

Thanks in advance for the help .
Old 11-16-2017, 03:13 AM
Banned

Received 130 Likes on 84 Posts
Basically everything attached to the engine itself is different. For example the engine oil pan is much larger and will not work in the dodge chassis. Water jackets both upper and lower, fan drive, alternator mounts, exhaust manifold, turbo drain tube, turbo, intake plate and inlet, power steering pump and no vacuum pump, throttle linkage.

Those are just a few of the differences their are more than just what is listed above. You are likely better off to find the correct ve engine
The following users liked this post:
CudaJames69 (11-17-2017)
Old 11-16-2017, 10:52 AM

Received 59 Likes on 39 Posts
Not to mention the industrial P7100 won’t fuel or rev like the regular 1994-98 pu P7100’s, even with mods.
CudaJames69 (11-17-2017)
Old 11-16-2017, 03:07 PM

Received 345 Likes on 284 Posts
Basically the cummins longblock works in the Dodge just fine. You need to substitute Dodge accessories as needed to make it fit properly.

I drove a 6BT '97 F700 several times this past summer. It was a 5spd truck. They rev ok. Its still a 'roadworthy' tuned pump, unlike one from an excavator, generator, etc. I suspect it would still benefit from fuel plate a gov spring.
CudaJames69 (11-17-2017)
Old 11-16-2017, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by nascar mark
Not to mention the industrial P7100 won’t fuel or rev like the regular 1994-98 pu P7100’s, even with mods.

Originally Posted by deere country
Basically everything attached to the engine itself is different. For example the engine oil pan is much larger and will not work in the dodge chassis. Water jackets both upper and lower, fan drive, alternator mounts, exhaust manifold, turbo drain tube, turbo, intake plate and inlet, power steering pump and no vacuum pump, throttle linkage.

Those are just a few of the differences their are more than just what is listed above. You are likely better off to find the correct ve engine
Wells that's a bummer . Wasn't concerned with the Exhaust . Didn't think about the oil pan .

What's different with the water jackets & how will it hurt/affect me ?

Can I use a dodge p-pump on the ford timing cover ?

It has a p/s pump & mounting looks the same as the dodge vacuum pump . Priced them not too bad for a used 1 .
Old 11-16-2017, 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by u2slow
Basically the cummins longblock works in the Dodge just fine. You need to substitute Dodge accessories as needed to make it fit properly.

I drove a 6BT '97 F700 several times this past summer. It was a 5spd truck. They rev ok. Its still a 'roadworthy' tuned pump, unlike one from an excavator, generator, etc. I suspect it would still benefit from fuel plate a gov spring.
That's I was thinking that but wasn't sure . I knew the accessories would be different , didn't think about the pan . I was thinking that it drove good with at least 30,000 lbs of truck around it . With a 25000 lb diet it should drive pretty good .

I was also thinking that since I would be changing the exhaust , time to upgrade the manifold & turbo .

Unless I can find a drop in Dodge for around $1500 I'll be ahead of the game .
Old 11-16-2017, 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by CudaJames69
Wells that's a bummer . Wasn't concerned with the Exhaust . Didn't think about the oil pan .

What's different with the water jackets & how will it hurt/affect me ?

Can I use a dodge p-pump on the ford timing cover ?

It has a p/s pump & mounting looks the same as the dodge vacuum pump . Priced them not too bad for a used 1 .
You need a rear sump setup. I don't know what Ford MDT setup is.

The water jackets are cast into the block. The block is same whether its in a Ford or Dodge. Coolant inlet and outlets (for hoses) may be different. Not sure.

The P7100 pump is Bosch, and the timing cover is cummins. Neither are Ford or Dodge. Which cover cummins uses depends which inj pump (P or VE) that is used. What accessories the pump has, and exact internal components used, depends on the CPL build number. A p-pump can be taken from one 6BT and put on another p-pumped 6BT without changing the cover.

There's all kinds of stuff that bolts in the accessory gear-drive location. I can't say for sure if the gear from the MDT p/s pump will fit the vac pump. You might be best with a complete used assembly from a Dodge.
CudaJames69 (11-17-2017)
Old 11-16-2017, 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by CudaJames69
Unless I can find a drop in Dodge for around $1500 I'll be ahead of the game .
This is why I've never gone the MDT route... too easy to find rough D250s under that price point. Every significant accessory to adapt the MDT version for a pickup seems to be $200 a pop (used).
The following 2 users liked this post by u2slow:
CudaJames69 (11-17-2017), thrashingcows (11-16-2017)
Old 11-16-2017, 05:40 PM

This is why I've never gone the MDT route... too easy to find rough D250s under that price point. Every significant accessory to adapt the MDT version for a pickup seems to be $200 a pop (used).
What is MDT ? Mid Duty Truck ?

Just did a search for a dodge diesel . $2000 for non running 1st gen over 500 miles away .

Found a few 2nd gen , run don't drive for around $2500 . All over 300 miles away .

Then I have another vehicle to store . That wouldn't go over well .

Put out a few feelers , but probably going to buy off the internet & swap meets over the winter into the spring . Most guys around here aren't into older trucks let alone diesels .

$220 a pop sounds about right , found the trans adapter $200 , engine mounts $200 , oil pan with pick up & dipstick $200 , Stock manifold if it's different $100 .

I also want a mechanical pump . No electronics , manual shut off . So I can park on a hill , let it roll , bump the clutch & get rolling . HAHAHAHAHAHA
Old 11-16-2017, 06:30 PM

Ya, I shorten up medium duty truck to MDT. Seems to be a common abbreviation on other forums.

The low-buck cummins donors aren't normally sitting around for the moment you decide to search. They're found over longer time periods... and you may have to be quick to contact and pull the trigger. Other listings stagnate and eventually go for far less than asking (i.e. non-runner, etc).

You just listed $700 worth of parts... and it didn't include a vac/ps pump. A 1stgen adapter needs a 1stgen starter too. Flywheel?

A single beat-up D250 could get you everything you need. My cheapest was $700 and it drove home. Just scrap out the rest of it in a hurry to keep your yard tidy.
CudaJames69 (11-17-2017)
Old 11-17-2017, 08:36 AM

I know what you're saying . I'll keep looking casually until it's time to do it . I'll also gather a few parts I need in case I don't find a truck when I'm ready .

Those $700 trucks don't exist in NYC . Maybe 3 hours away they do . I also know the engine I have . I drove the 2 trucks a block or 2 . They fired right up & ran like glass .

I have the flywheel . I cut up a '90 CTD W250 a few years ago so I have the complete 5 spd set up from the flywheel to the tires .

My yard is a mess . My lot is 50' x 100' about 1/2 is open . I've got 3 '69 fury , a '12 , ram megacab , a '12 ram 2500 crew cab , a '70 Camaro , '70 Cuda , '71 Cuda , couple of bikes , '10 town & country & '17 Ram Rebel . Last 2 move daily . The RC is in the street along with a '08 impala & a '03 Murano .

I don't do too much for myself fast . That truck would probably linger around for a few months . Had this setup around a few years to go into my Crew Cab . Never got to it . Sold it last week .
Old 11-17-2017, 10:52 AM

Received 59 Likes on 39 Posts
Roadworthy, yes but so is a Yugo, so an industrial pump is not a good pump for a performance base without spending a lot of $. When a customer contacts us for a pump build & says they have a non passenger pump & wants a performance build, we pass, as they will be disappointed to say the least.
The non 160, 175, 180 & 215hp P7100’s rev slower & lower than the Bosch/Dodge application pumps, even with gov spring kit & fuel plate. Period. The gov weights are heavier than the passenger pumps mentioned above.
Depending on the pump build, we have even taken weight off the gov weights for customers.
CudaJames69 (11-17-2017)
Old 11-17-2017, 12:02 PM

Roadworthy, yes but so is a Yugo, so an industrial pump is not a good pump for a performance base without spending a lot of $. When a customer contacts us for a pump build & says they have a non passenger pump & wants a performance build, we pass, as they will be disappointed to say the least.
The non 160, 175, 180 & 215hp P7100’s rev slower & lower than the Bosch/Dodge application pumps, even with gov spring kit & fuel plate. Period. The gov weights are heavier than the passenger pumps mentioned above.
Depending on the pump build, we have even taken weight off the gov weights for customers.

Excellent , I was wondering what the difference was .

I added pics of the pump tags . Not sure if I'm being stubborn or cheap but , can you tell by the tags what they are & if they are any good ?

So is it the weights & springs that cause it to fuel slow ? Like a distributor ?
Attached Thumbnails 5.9 Ford Cummins-p-pump-tag-2.jpg   5.9 Ford Cummins-p-pump-tag-1.jpg  
Old 11-17-2017, 01:59 PM

I'm not familiar with the Bosch pump markings, but the engine's CPL number is key. You can get a full parts breakdown in cummins quickserve online.

Roadworthy, yes but so is a Yugo, so an industrial pump is not a good pump for a performance base without spending a lot of $.
Having driven both the stock F700 (garbage truck - both empty and overloaded) plus stock and tuned Dodges 89-96.... they drive more similar than different. Nothing like I imagine a Yugo to be. Its all relative. We can split hairs on the nuances of pump differences, or be grateful to have a road-tuned 6BT.

Just the parts to do a p-pump conversion are pricey. A p-pump core is too. It would be a mistake to call a 6BT with the 'wrong' p-pump a dud.
CudaJames69 (11-17-2017)
Old 11-17-2017, 03:30 PM

I'm not familiar with the Bosch pump markings, but the engine's CPL number is key. You can get a full parts breakdown in cummins quickserve online.

Having driven both the stock F700 (garbage truck - both empty and overloaded) plus stock and tuned Dodges 89-96.... they drive more similar than different. Nothing like I imagine a Yugo to be. Its all relative. We can split hairs on the nuances of pump differences, or be grateful to have a road-tuned 6BT.

Just the parts to do a p-pump conversion are pricey. A p-pump core is too. It would be a mistake to call a 6BT with the 'wrong' p-pump a dud.
Both tags were covered in oil . No markings left on them . Here is a pic of the 1 that had something left on it .

I think I will go with the ford setup . It's in hand . Once I get through the winter & get my crew cab drive able I will rip into the RC . Plus I can buy parts over time making it budget friendly . I will use this to learn for the next one . I've seen a few dodge pumps for sale . Will worry about that after it's roadworthy . If I had a truck & an idea the parts truck would be best way to go . To get the parts I already have I would be looking at over $4k .

Fast is cool , some smoke is cool , but I'm over all that . I can pull out the Hellcat for that . I want a great all around truck that can be driven anywhere at anytime . Pretty much like my crew cab was .

I appreciate ALL the opinions & help I have gotten & will continue to receive on the site from the wealth of knowledge & experience well beyond my own .
Attached Thumbnails 5.9 Ford Cummins-6bt-tag.jpg  

Last edited by CudaJames69; 11-17-2017 at 03:41 PM. Reason: added to it .

Quick Reply: 5.9 Ford Cummins