1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

47RH questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2009, 01:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
47RH questions

So, I found a 47RH for 600$ locally, which sounds pretty good based on what I have read here. I have the correct starter and adapter already. Only problem is it is from a 2wd but I have the tailhousing from my 46RH to convert it, and from what I have seen that should be all the parts I need for the swap (other than driveshafts, etc).

I have two questions - One, does the lockup work in more than just OD with the stock valvebody? Can I go direct drive in 3rd?

Two, If you had 300-400$ to throw at this trans before you put it in, what would you do? It will be behind a mild 6BT (200 hp) in a light truck and it only tows about 8K max, once in a while. The truck already has a big cooler and uprated lines. I use it for plowing snow but not commercially, it doesn't wory very hard.

I am thinking a valvebody kit (while I have it out) which is about 100$, but I dunno what else to spend my cash on. A torque converter and other major goodies are out of the equation, but I wouldn't mind a freshen, maybe just inspect replace steels and friction as necessary, what else should I replace for better performance? Best bang for the buck?

Thanks! Can't wait to hit that lockup switch and go cruising down the highway!
Old 02-09-2009, 01:55 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
One, does the lockup work in more than just OD with the stock valvebody? Can I go direct drive in 3rd?
I'm pretty sure an aftermarket valve body is needed for that.
Old 02-09-2009, 01:57 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
They will lock up in 3rd for direct drive.
Old 02-09-2009, 02:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Diesel Rover
So, I found a 47RH for 600$ locally, which sounds pretty good based on what I have read here. I have the correct starter and adapter already. Only problem is it is from a 2wd but I have the tailhousing from my 46RH to convert it, and from what I have seen that should be all the parts I need for the swap (other than driveshafts, etc).
Sounds like all you need, that and some time.

I have two questions - One, does the lockup work in more than just OD with the stock valvebody? Can I go direct drive in 3rd?
Here's how the stock valve body works. Lockup will only work with the gear selector in D. If you were to switch lockup on when at a stop in D and you start out it will start out in 1st and then shift to 2nd and lock the converter, then it will shift into 3rd gear while locked and if will also shift into OD while locked if you want it too. Now the tricky part comes. Once your in OD locked and turn off OD it will not down shift into 3rd until you unlock the converter. Generally lockup is only used in 3rd and OD. Stock valve bodies won't lock when the shifter is not in D.

Two, If you had 300-400$ to throw at this trans before you put it in, what would you do? It will be behind a mild 6BT (200 hp) in a light truck and it only tows about 8K max, once in a while. The truck already has a big cooler and uprated lines. I use it for plowing snow but not commercially, it doesn't wory very hard.
I have around 3k in my trans in just parts so I'm not going to say anymore than that.

I am thinking a valvebody kit (while I have it out) which is about 100$, but I dunno what else to spend my cash on. A torque converter and other major goodies are out of the equation, but I wouldn't mind a freshen, maybe just inspect replace steels and friction as necessary, what else should I replace for better performance? Best bang for the buck?
I would check all the frictions and steels. I was told by a well known builder that he would not hesitate to reuse good condition clutches, his reason is they aready proved that they are bonded well. What I would do is replace all the seals and sealing rings inside along with the pump bushing. Check with Dunrite for a valve body kit, I know his offer lockup in the lower gears.

Thanks! Can't wait to hit that lockup switch and go cruising down the highway!
Just a thought for you to think about, when I first put the 47RH in my truck I was smiling from ear to ear when I first locked it up. That trans only lasted about 14,000 miles. And that was around 250hp.
Old 02-09-2009, 05:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just a thought for you to think about, when I first put the 47RH in my truck I was smiling from ear to ear when I first locked it up. That trans only lasted about 14,000 miles. And that was around 250hp.

Same hear, I have about 1500 miles on mine and I'll be lucky to make it untill mid summer..lol For some reason when it locks the go pedal gets stuck on the floor!!
Old 02-10-2009, 07:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Guys I really appreciate the advice. I have read all the threads I can find on rebuilds and upgrades and I know that these transmissions need some upgrades to handle even medium power. I have been re-reading these threads to try and understand exactly what happens in these slushboxes and try and figure out what is best (I am a newbie for sure). Here is the problem.

The trans is going in a truck that I use for off-roading. With the low range and really low axle ratios, I can "drive" through the brakes pretty easily (can't stop the truck because of the torque and gearing). This is a very bad thing and I am constantly standing on the brake pedal to stop it from moving. I want to stick with a stock converter as I think an aftermarket one would be tighter at idle. In high range it's not bad, but in low, with almost 8-1 reduction, any more tightness in the torque converter will definitely be felt.

I thought there was a thread on here that had cost breakdowns for upgrades (BC847's thread?), sort of like an itemized checklist of what went into their buildup?

Anyone want to buy a kidney so I can increase my budget??