1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

3200RPM spring install starting to get frustrating

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2006, 01:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 3200RPM spring install starting to get frustrating

OK, so I picked up my 366 spring yesterday from a local injection shop and today I started to tear into the VE. I printed off the step by step guide thats in the sticky and things are going along real smooth, no problems etc. That is, until I get to the 4 5mm hex bolts that hold the cover on. The 2 on the left (towards the front of the truck), I got no problem but the other two are making me go bonkers. On the lower one I tried an allen wrench but I must've not got it in all the way because I ended rounding it out. The top one I just can't seem to get any tool whatsoever in there. Its pretty tight.

Any suggestions as to how I can get the messed up bolt out and get the claustrophobic bolt out?

Thanks

Lucas
Old 08-30-2006, 02:10 PM
Banned

If you've already trashed the bolt, a hammer and chisel should do the trick (along with some more damage to the bolt). Just tap it lightly on the edge at an angle, then tap the opposite edge to break it loose. Make sure you're driving it the correct direction though!
Old 08-30-2006, 02:10 PM
Ace
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The way I did that bugger in the back was to cut an allen so it would fit. Is this the sticky you mentioned:

http://dens-site.net/Dodge_CTD/Gover...ing/index.html
Old 08-30-2006, 02:17 PM
Banned

Ah, I thought you meant the AFC cover. Doubt you can even get a hammer and chisel back where you're talking about. I'm not sure how you would get that out.
Old 08-30-2006, 02:42 PM

NoSparkplugs,

I feel your pain except for I rounded 2 of the allen heads out. I went to the auto parts store and bought an easy out. Had to grind on it to fit the bolt heads, but once I wedged the easy out in the bolt head, it popped right out.

Hope this helps...

Cody
Old 08-30-2006, 02:44 PM

Well I'm gonna try and shorten a 5mm allen wrench (some more, I didn't cut enough off last time) and get the back one out. Isn't there some sort of messed up screw tool that I can buy that will can dig into the screw and back it out?
Old 08-30-2006, 02:49 PM

Instead of shortening an allen wrench, I used a long T-handle allen wrench....work awesome for that back allen head behind the idle screw. With the T-handle you can get alot of leverage on the bolt which makes life alot easier.

Cody
Old 08-30-2006, 03:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Grind the head of an old screwdriver down and pound it in there. I've gotten those screws out before w/ a cut off allen and a combination wrench. Take your time when taking that cover and old spring off, I was doing it at night in my driveway and the top hat and spring went flying. Not fun to find...
Old 08-30-2006, 03:42 PM

I dont know if you can get a mig gun in there, but put the allen in the stripped out hole and tack it. Dont put too much heat there, but a little tack could do it.
I have also taken an arc welder and attatched the ground to the truck, and the stinger to the allen wrench and then put the allen wrench in the bolt quickly and as soon as it arcs have someone else pull the ground off. The allen should be pretty well stuck in there and it should come out.

If you dont want to get creative with electricity, there are many different kinds and styles of easy outs, check the net or your local auto part store

Ian-
Old 08-30-2006, 04:33 PM

When I did my 366 spring I read the instructions and decided that I didn't need to mess with either of the idle screws.

I used a simple craftsman woble allen so that I could tilt it at a bit of an angle. Then I put a pair of plyers on the short end and pow! They both got loose and came out pretty easy. I had to tap the allen in the rear allen bolt a bit to avoid stripping it out but it worked really well. The rea bolt is also too long to come all the way out without pulling the idle screw so you have to do it last and lift the top off the pump as you unscrew it with the allen.

Those wobble head allen wrenches are invaluable in situations like this.

If you have only reamed out the more accessible of the two try the "pound a fladhead screwdriver in" trick and throw a pair of vise grips on the screwdriver. Then if that doesn't work, tack weld it. I don't think its easily accessible enough for anything else . . .

Depending on how bad it is, you might be able to get another bite on it if you pound one of those wobble allens in the hole. They seem to bite better than a straight allen in those situations.

Good luck.

Chass
ct
Old 08-30-2006, 04:47 PM

Thanks guys,

I'm going to get a 5mm T-handle and try that instead. I'm trying to get the easy out in there but its not gonna be easy. Man this sucks. I'm thinking of changing these bolts or at least the right side bolts to a torx style to prevent anything like this happening again .
Old 08-30-2006, 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by Chass
When I did my 366 spring I read the instructions and decided that I didn't need to mess with either of the idle screws.

I used a simple craftsman woble allen so that I could tilt it at a bit of an angle. Then I put a pair of plyers on the short end and pow! They both got loose and came out pretty easy. I had to tap the allen in the rear allen bolt a bit to avoid stripping it out but it worked really well. The rea bolt is also too long to come all the way out without pulling the idle screw so you have to do it last and lift the top off the pump as you unscrew it with the allen.

Those wobble head allen wrenches are invaluable in situations like this.
This is what I did on the weekend, and I'll have to do it again this weekend as now my throttle shaft developed a leak.
It worked awesome though to not have to mess with the idle screw.

Corey
Old 08-30-2006, 07:50 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
A cut-down 5 mm is the best way. I learned the hard way not to try to break 'em loose with a ball end wrench, those bolts are soft and strip easily. When SteamDave and I did 92DIESEL's truck we wound up drilling out a bolt it was stuck so good.
Old 08-31-2006, 12:41 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
go get a set of craftsman long tee handle allen with the ball type end, it will work better because it can sit in the bolt head in an angle and still work !I have done more 3200 springs then i can count and never have had 1 problem getting the bolts out! but make sure all the crud is out of the bolt head so it will go all the way down in!!
Old 08-31-2006, 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by rebal
go get a set of craftsman long tee handle allen with the ball type end, it will work better because it can sit in the bolt head in an angle and still work !I have done more 3200 springs then i can count and never have had 1 problem getting the bolts out! but make sure all the crud is out of the bolt head so it will go all the way down in!!

Man you had better knock on some wood fast!

Quick Reply: 3200RPM spring install starting to get frustrating