1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

1st Gen hitches

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2009, 07:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1st Gen hitches

I was under the truck today giving it a look over before winter. I noticed my hitch is rotted out and getting thin in places along with some holes. Its a drawtite unit that the was on the truck when i bought it. I'm thinking about getting one of these torklift super hitches. Anyone put one on their 1st gen? Any major mods required? Any other hitches to look at? I have a moto tote for the motorcycles that I use often so the more tounge wieght the better for peice of mind. Any thoughts on using the moto tote along with towing a small trailer? That would make the super hitch more attractive for sure.
Old 11-12-2009, 12:25 PM

Received 41 Likes on 27 Posts
Take the money you would spend on a new hitch and have Kelderman airbags installed on the rear. (The Kelderman setup comes with an integral Class V hitch.)

Jeff Kelderman told me that some 70% of ride quality is related to the rear suspension, so the rear is far more important than the front. My airbags helped my ride some (it's still not a Cadillac) but what I really love is the ability to level the truck with any size load by simply adding or releasing air pressure.
Old 11-12-2009, 01:14 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
i just bought a class 5 magnum curt hitch from jc whitney it was a good price so i tried it. I have no complaints
Old 11-12-2009, 01:14 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Get yourself a DMI Quick N' Cushion hitch. I know they used to make a bumper, but now I think they are all under-the-bumper receivers. they move so that you can hook up trailers easier, and then reset. They also have 2 giant springs that cushion the ride. I can't feel any draw bar slap when I pull fertilizer spreaders around. The best part about them is that they are universal. You just buy the adapter kit for your truck, and you can swap it to any truck you want if you buy the correct adapter kit.

Here's mine. I had a 2" receiver tube welded on for ease of height adjustment, because the bumper would have to sit pretty low to bull most trailers. If you have a nice bumper the under-the-bumper option is probably the best. I believe they are all class V hitches.

Name:  CIMG0136.jpg
Views: 2676
Size:  202.5 KB

The two levers on the left side of the draw bar are to pull the draw bar out, or slide it over. once you hook up, you just have to reset it by backing into the trailer, and then pulling away.

The one gripe I had is that you need to make safety chain extensions to pull most trailers, and they are kinda $pendy.
Old 11-15-2009, 08:32 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Schuck out of Celina Ohio also builds cushioned inserts and complete bumpers.

http://www.schuckhitches.com/
Old 11-15-2009, 12:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by james1
Take the money you would spend on a new hitch and have Kelderman airbags installed on the rear. (The Kelderman setup comes with an integral Class V hitch.)
Thats one nice product
Old 11-15-2009, 11:58 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
IMO, the schuck doesn't hold a candle to a DMI.

The full replacement bumpers are really strong too. My truck was wrecked once while pulling a loaded fertilizer spreader. The truck was turned around on a bridge my the oncoming tandems of a semi trailer, and the spreader wrapped around the bumper. My dad reached out the driver's side window before he took off his seat belt and touched the trailer. I think he actually had to get out the other side. The front clip was ruined, and the frame was tweaked, but the DMI bumper was mint. just needed new paint.
Old 11-16-2009, 05:53 PM

Received 96 Likes on 64 Posts
I have a Reese titan! I think its the heaviest available for our trucks. The only drawback is it comes with a 2.5" receiver instead of the normal 2". But Reese sells a sleeve that allows the use of your 2" hitches. I just purchased a 2.5" Titan pintle mount. It is rated for 16K! Best bang for the buck! I tow to much wieght for a bumper mount! Trailer wieghs 6800 lbs by itself! I wanted the heaviest available at the time. I know Reese makes a super Titan now but I am not certain they make one for our trucks.
Old 11-16-2009, 06:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MY two pennies is kellderman all the way