12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

Wow, still way to much boost

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2008, 10:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Wow, still way to much boost

As some of you know im having major egt issues with this 12v, went back out ealier and checked the wg with my comp. reg. and found it to just start to open at 45psi as i was told it should, but its been pegging the 60lbs gauge instantly when you feed it fuel. Back to the shop and adj it really low, starts to open around 28-30 and looked to be full open by 40. Also pushed the afc all the way back and the cam plate is most of the way back, went for a drive noticed the just off idle smoke was gone and went i hit it, it took a bit longer before the real smoke came on but when it did the temps still sailed, i lifted at 1500* and it still wouldnt have made it the entire 1/8 pass OH and the boost still instantly PEGGED the 60 lbs gauge as long as i feed it lots of pedal?? Why isnt the wg controling the boost? While adj with shop air it moves very freely and not rubbing the drain tube as ive read some peoples have there is no bind or issues with the wg. Is it that the full cuts just embard the engine with SO much fuel- is this the boost and egt issue all in one?? If so who are other getting away with running them, and does anyone have a set of something more tame delivery valves they would sell me? If so PM me and ill give you my number and address, thanks for any advise.
Old 03-31-2008, 11:03 PM

Wasust sitting here thinking about it and went out side and pulled the brass 90* off the turbo and sure enough its the style with the tiny little hole to retrect press. and i suppose build more boost. Well im not having any problems there im building why more that i want. Tomorrow ill go find a reg. 90 to replace it with and see what this does. I could see it helping with boost pressures but what out egt's??? Anyone. Also is there anything to be alarmed about seeing a temp diff. between cylinders? 1 through 5 are all about the same but #6 is always atleast 50* cooler, this is not since ive run it with high egt a few times, it has been that a way since i got it running the other day. I think first ill swap inj. from that cyl. to another and see if any change, ive checked the lash on that cylinder to make sure there wasnt one to tight and all was good. Any thing else it really seems to run great and sound good, if the hole was down wouldnt it run like crap and dribble fuel or oil, or be some sign of power loss, with these boost pressures i really dont suspect #6 down but the diff. in temp. has me puzzled???
Old 04-01-2008, 12:34 AM

my 62 charger runs about 60#. when these things light it seems like they cant be stopped. wait until you throw some water meth in there with that. where are you tapping your boost guage from?
Old 04-01-2008, 12:40 PM

Im using the large boss right behind the air inlet on the manifold, there was another sensor of somesort there i found a brass bushing to go from 3/8[ i think] pipe to 1/8 and used 1/8 to -3an and used stainless flex from intake to gauge. Same for the oil pressure and the afc press. line. Running those press. might me ok later when i learn more on tuning this thing but for now i want to run no more than Dave suggested which is 45. Dont understand why he installs this high boost elboe if it makes it not respond to boost pressures the compressor is giving the acuator?? And yes it seems unstopable when it lights, the groal through that 6" stack at 60+lbs was un real. Does your water inj. kit make all the diff. on your truck? Is it like mine, do you have to have it full time to really put it to the wood? The way it is Only works for light crusing around [in a totally illegal truck might i add] theres no more than a 3-5 sec. window that it could be layed to the floor. Im still hunting for DV's... and i suppose a good deal on a water kit......
Old 04-01-2008, 01:11 PM
Chapter President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The problem is that the wastegate can't flow enough exhaust to slow the turbo down.. IE. turbo on the exhaust side is too small... Wouldn't matter if you left the WG wide open you will still hit 60 psi... Too much fuel for that turbo.
Old 04-01-2008, 02:24 PM

Wow, wouldnt have thought that! So your thinking the wheel is to small at 71mm or the turbine housings to small at the 13cm or both. Dave at HTT knew exactly what i was doing and said that shouls be exactly the turbo i would want for this first year of 1/8 mile only, he said i would prob. want to switch to the 16cm housing later if i start running on the 1/4 tracks. Im really curious to see what installing a wide open 90* elboe in the compressor will do with the pressure, not saying at all your not correct, but i will have to prove it to my self also. If it does the same thing after the new elboe you are 100% correct and not sure what ill do then because i dont plan on beating up on a turbo and running it out of its map every time i go out to play. Yes its a drag truck but theres still got to be a right and wrong way to do things.
Old 04-01-2008, 02:44 PM
Chapter President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I should be more clear, the 71 should be a big enough turbine, just a 13 housing is too tight. I have heard about guys opening up the WG ports for more flow, just not sure if you can do that with an already altered HTT design. If you got the WG open on the bench with 40 psi, I think you are well above that by the time you include the intercooler losses. With the elbow at the turbo, its probably sees up to 10 psi more than the manifold pressure.

I think compounds are your answer IMHO..
Old 04-01-2008, 03:58 PM

I head the wastegate passages in the stainless housings are two 1" flappers. Should be enough to flow what you're putting down. Have you tried a different gauge to confirm the shooting past 60psi? Granted, you have a fair amount more fuel than me, but my 62mm doesn't rocket anywhere until you're around 5-7psi, then it takes off. If you're seeing 'instant' boost, I'd suspect a gauge. I don't think you're out flowing the wastegate myself.

Next, definitely pick up a set of 181 or 191 DVs. Your charger is obviously not keeping up to your fueling rate. You may be gaining much more heat than power with those. Heard of guys loosing power when they go to LCs. Too much fuel will hurt you.

Once you get it tamed down a bit, you can put some chemical aftercooling to it and then put some bigger DVs in it. Or better yet, bigger pump.
Old 04-01-2008, 06:03 PM

i rarley use my water meth kit. the snow kit has an adjustable controller so i have it set to come on at 28lbs of boost. it comes on at 10 percent of full volume and i think its scaled to 100 percent at around 40 lbs. but it also has a toggle switch in the cab to turn it off and on when wanted. It does seem to make quite the difference on my temps. no really solid #s for you but atleast 200 degrees. seems to make temps climb slower.
Old 04-01-2008, 06:18 PM

Ya the wg is a lot diff. design and suppose to flow unreal. No ive not tryed another higher press. gauge id liked to but cant see buying one right now, this was a very expensive project for me to take and just build to completion in a little over a month. I suspect it was WELL over 60 due to it pegged it instantly and it bounced on and off of pegged for the entire time. I agree i would'nt think either that its out flowing the wg, i think replacing the 90* fitting will tell me alot i think the one it came shipped with it hardly diff. than putting a plug in it. And yes i Really need a set of diff. DV to try.