12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

Why would a mechanic NEED to pull out the Camshaft ??

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2006, 08:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There is a way to lock the KDP without using a tab. Simply take a center punch and hit it in a couple places around the outside of the KDP hole. That closes the hole up a little and the pin can no longer come out.
Old 01-10-2006, 04:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy

Here's an Update as of 1755hrs Tuesday Jan.10th.

My truck is STILL in the Shop!!

I stopped by yesterday afternoon, and the mechanic had most everything back together and was refilling the radiator and still needed to recharge the A/C system. He said he was going to been done with it last night.

I called a little while ago and was told the mechanic needs to "Re-Time" the injection pump. What's up with that ??

I'm sure it STILL needs to be detailed (under the hood) as well.

I know the Steeaalership has been REAL short on mechanic/detail help. They've been running ads that last week or so looking for (1) Detail/Lot person and (2) Mechanics.

The saga continues.......

BTW, I bought this truck from them on Friday Dec.23 and have driven it only about 50-60 miles. It's been in their shop since Monday Dec.26th to get a nasty oil leak fixed!!
Old 01-10-2006, 05:28 PM

I think you are very fortunate and wrought yourself a good deal.

What the dealership is doing is balancing this work on your truck that is out of pocket with other work that is cash flowing. You can't expect them to do more than that.

There are probably realities pushing down on their shop that none of us would want so look at it this way- You'll have a great used truck with a fixed kdp- that is worth a lot.

And as far as any dealership fixing used vehicles before putting up for sale, well, that just does not happen.

If you can, show the S M how much you appreciated his efforts. It may very well come back to reward you somehow in the future. Any dealership willing to do it right on their dollar is worth being on good terms with, believe me. It shows they are willing to work with you. Many will not do that.

Big Jimmy
Old 01-10-2006, 05:59 PM

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by big jimmy
If you can, show the S M how much you appreciated his efforts. It may very well come back to reward you somehow in the future. Any dealership willing to do it right on their dollar is worth being on good terms with, believe me. It shows they are willing to work with you. Many will not do that.

Big Jimmy
Have you been talking to my wife ??

That is EXACTLY what she's been trying to pound into my thick skull!

Guess I'm kinda like a 16 year old getting his 1st car! (I'll be 44 next Monday!)

Waiting sux!
Old 01-10-2006, 07:36 PM

The mechanic that is doing the job is just going by the book while doing this. However he should have been able to do all the work mentioned above in about half a day or a little more. It should take no more than 2 hours to get everything on the front of the truck out of the way to be able to get the timing cover off, once the cover is off another half hour to get the pump gear and only the cam GEAR off, there is absolutely no need to pull the cam out to get the case off. Put everything back together in about the same time and add another 20 minutes to time the pump. Add it up, it doesn't look like 2 weeks to me
Old 01-10-2006, 07:40 PM

Some people might not have done this stuff as much as you...especially Dodge Mechanics

I'll bet not many of them can change a turbo in 35 minutes, or a set of injectors in less than a hour...but I can, and I'll bet many of you could too!

Chris
Old 01-11-2006, 11:04 AM

Arrow

Originally Posted by 24valvepuller
Add it up, it doesn't look like 2 weeks to me
Going on 17 days now.....

HOPEFULLY, it will be done today or tomorrow.
Old 01-11-2006, 11:35 AM

What the dealership is doing is balancing this work on your truck that is out of pocket with other work that is cash flowing.

Its an availability issue (the mechanics), not a skill/time it takes to actually do it issue.
Old 01-11-2006, 06:48 PM

Question

Its an availability issue (the mechanics), not a skill/time it takes to actually do it issue.
True and the Dealership has been Advertising for (2) Mechanic positions and (1) Detail/Lot position in the local paper for the past week.

Update.......

No truck today.

Stopped by the Dealership this AM and spoke to the Head Diesel Mechanic who is now working on my truck.

He said the when the other mechanic (I guess Novice Diesel mechanic) reinstalled the Injector Pump that he didn't get it "Lined-Up" properly. So he (the Head Diesel mechanic) has to Re-Time it.

What's involved with Re-Timing or Re-Aligning the Injector Pump ??
Old 01-11-2006, 10:06 PM
Banned

pinning the pump and engine to find ~TDC and then using a timing set to set plunger lift on the pump...

it's a bit involved for a novice installer who's used to just replacing sensors and changing oil
Old 01-12-2006, 11:26 AM

I think you have a little problem. We can take an engine out, rebuild it and have it back on the road in 4 days. And that's with taking lunch every day. I don't understand the time span. If the mechanic has an AB light, he can find top dead center in about 30 seconds. Not to through you a wad on a pile of what you have now, but maybe he just doing his first one. And when he pulled the cam, hope he didn't drop one of the lifters off the end of his sticks. That's a real pain to get.

By the way, if you need a tab, drop me your address and I'll send you one. I bought 100 when I got the ones I have.

..Preston..
Old 01-12-2006, 07:47 PM

Arrow

Originally Posted by turbo thom
By the way, if you need a tab, drop me your address and I'll send you one. I bought 100 when I got the ones I have.

..Preston..
Roger that Preston. I appreciate the offer. I'll check it out.

Today's UPDATE:

STILL No Truck......

I am stopping by the Dealership tomorrow and asking for a Loaner/Rental Car. My old 3rd backup vehicle is crapping out on me.

They never offered me a Loaner or Rental car at the start of all this. I traded off my 98 Explorer on the Ram so I've been driving my old 3rd vehicle. It's not quite up to the task for my 60 mile daily commutes to work and back.

Hope they get it back to me soon. I'm growing real tired of the waiting game.
Old 01-15-2006, 08:38 AM

I think I would tell them they have had it long enough, if they are so incompetent that it takes them this long to do a 1 day job, that you don't trust them to finish the job and would like them to send it to a garage that knows what they are doing
Old 01-15-2006, 09:36 AM

I think that he said that the truck was hauled to a diesel shop a day or two ago. It is getting a little pathetic aint it.
Old 01-15-2006, 11:05 AM
Banned

What is KDP???????

Quick Reply: Why would a mechanic NEED to pull out the Camshaft ??