12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

Why would a mechanic NEED to pull out the Camshaft ??

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2006, 10:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question

Someone (on another site) just suggested it "may" be the Oil Cooler. ???? I wasn't aware there is an Oil Cooler on it (haven't owned it long enough).

Could an bad/loose Oil Cooler connection cause oil to get into the Coolant ?
Old 01-20-2006, 09:59 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
A bad oil cooler is probably the most common cause of oil in coolant on an un-modded engine.
The cooler is easy to replace and is located on the block behind the oil filter.
Old 01-20-2006, 10:24 AM

Question

Originally Posted by infidel
A bad oil cooler is probably the most common cause of oil in coolant on an un-modded engine.
The cooler is easy to replace and is located on the block behind the oil filter.
My next question would be....

Is there anyway this Oil Cooler could have got damaged from all the work that the Dealership has done (Read Story Above) ??
Old 01-20-2006, 11:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think it might be possible it's still the headgasket. I have been following this post and remember they were having hell timing the pump. It's possible the timing is way to adnanced and blew the headgasket. I would double check the timing while they have it in the shop.
Old 01-20-2006, 11:53 AM

Exclamation

Originally Posted by NeedMoPower
I think it might be possible it's still the headgasket. I have been following this post and remember they were having hell timing the pump. It's possible the timing is way to adnanced and blew the headgasket. I would double check the timing while they have it in the shop.
Is it possible the original mechanics "may" have blown the headgasket WHILE trying/playing with it to get the engine into time ??

The original mechanics threw in the towel and referred it to a REAL Diesel shop to have the Timing set.

I'm just curious now as to how and whom the Dealership is going to blame for this problem.

I know one thing that IS FOR SURE. I'm NOT paying one **** red cent towards any of this.

The Called the Owner of the Dealership a couple hours ago to set up a Meeting. He said to talk to his Manager as he has full authority as well. The Owner said he sent the Mgr home early this AM because his Blood Pressure was UP! Funny thing about this is that the MGR high-tailed it home last night BEFORE I had the truck towed back there! The Salesman said he was TOO STRESSED to deal with it!

Apparently the Owner then talked/reamed out the Service Mgr about my truck. The SM called me back a little while ago trying to regather ALL the facts before checking out my truck.

They are Diagnosing my truck now as I type this. The SM is "supposed" to call me back later on this afternoon.

So, right now trying to determine my LEGAL recourse for all of this. My wife is dead set on getting the Dealer to buy the truck back and get something else (Newer/Less miles).
Old 01-20-2006, 01:33 PM

It is possible that the mechanics caused the head gasket to blow. The more timing the harder on the head gasket it is. I have seen a few people on the boards with well over 20 degrees for awhile so if the mechanics are at fault they were all out of whack! If another mechanic, ie diesel shop, gets the motor fixed properly I think that you will have a good truck. If there is anything else wrong with the truck I would be tempted to call it a lemon and get a buy back. My 95 has a few minor problems at 240K miles but I still trust driving it further from home than the 04. Electronics scare me. There is no fixing a new on the side of the road.
Old 01-20-2006, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by Katmandu
Why ? What would you say it my situation ?
I thought you couldn't put characters in for letters. I got one edited the other day and used the proper word for it. (males have them females dont usually 2 of them) Go figure.
Old 01-20-2006, 04:40 PM

Exclamation

Originally Posted by robert chilton
It is possible that the mechanics caused the head gasket to blow. The more timing the harder on the head gasket it is. I have seen a few people on the boards with well over 20 degrees for awhile so if the mechanics are at fault they were all out of whack! If another mechanic, ie diesel shop, gets the motor fixed properly I think that you will have a good truck. If there is anything else wrong with the truck I would be tempted to call it a lemon and get a buy back.
That's my concern that the original mechanics blew the head gasket because the Engine's Timing was FUBB (Fugged Up Beyond Belief).

They farmed the truck out to the REAL Diesel shop, but IMHO the damage may have already been done.

I talked with the Service Mgr. a little while ago and he said the truck PASSED the Pressurization test while the engine was COLD. He did admit that even though it Passed Cold the problem "MAY" show up when the engine is HOT.

The main Diesel mechanic was off today, so we'll have to wait until Monday for more info.

Like I said before other than these BS engine leaks, the truck is in Excellent Shape. The front steering components have been Upgraded to 03 parts, it has a New Centerforce Dual-Friction Clutch, the leather interior is in great shape, the body paint, brakes, tires, suspension, etc... is all in great shape as well. Only real downfall is it has 191k miles on it. (The wife is still ****** at me about that. ).

If it turns out the the interior part of the block was compromised with Coolant (ie Head gasket or Cracked Block), we'll probably INSIST on them buying it back. Losing confidence in the Reliability factor is HUGE!

I dunno..... I'm still searching for answers to my Legal Recourse at this point.

Any Lawyers out here ??
Old 01-20-2006, 09:27 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
....just think, there's probably someone reading this that traded off their "clean" truck at that dealer.
Old 01-20-2006, 10:05 PM

Unhappy

Originally Posted by J BODY
....just think, there's probably someone reading this that traded off their "clean" truck at that dealer.
Yea I know it.
Old 01-20-2006, 11:23 PM

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
It's most likely just a coincidence that this failure happened now, and it's very likely that it's the oil cooler that failed. I have seen a couple of these fail. I don't believe however much the tech advanced the timing that it ran nearly long enough to destroy the head gasket. The worst part of the job will be to get all the oily sludge out of the cooling system.
Old 01-20-2006, 11:37 PM

Not to bring your day down to suicidal levels, but that Centerforce is crap too.

Merrick
Old 01-21-2006, 08:31 AM

Talking

Originally Posted by MCummings
Not to bring your day down to suicidal levels, but that Centerforce is crap too.

Merrick
Gee thanks Merrick!
Old 01-21-2006, 08:35 AM

Unhappy

Originally Posted by torquefan
It's most likely just a coincidence that this failure happened now, and it's very likely that it's the oil cooler that failed. I have seen a couple of these fail. I don't believe however much the tech advanced the timing that it ran nearly long enough to destroy the head gasket. The worst part of the job will be to get all the oily sludge out of the cooling system.
Man, I sure hope your right! The thing that worries me most right now is thought of having Coolant circulating around the bearings.

My wife keeps bring it up about the price I paid for it I could of bought a NEW vehicle.
Old 01-21-2006, 10:56 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Oil pressure is higher than coolant pressure, oil ends up in the coolant not vice-versa unless the coolant is being pressurized by cylinder pressure.
Then you usually get air bubbling in the overflow bottle.

Quick Reply: Why would a mechanic NEED to pull out the Camshaft ??