12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

Why would a mechanic NEED to pull out the Camshaft ??

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2006, 12:02 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Read over this form a few times. Still do not know what KDP is. Are you talking about the Dowel pin from falling out of the gear housings? Also what is the timing cover seal? Now I know we all call parts deferent names but some things are just to hard to know what you are talking about.
Old 01-15-2006, 12:43 PM

Here ya go. https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...n&onlynewfaq=1 Timing cover seal would be the seal/gasket for the timing cover, the cover behind the fan, that covers the timing gears.
Old 01-18-2006, 10:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by robert chilton
I think that he said that the truck was hauled to a diesel shop a day or two ago. It is getting a little pathetic aint it.
DAY 23 UPDATE !!

FINALLY GOT MY TRUCK BACK !!!!!!!!!!!

Yes, it's TRUE !! Finally picked it up this evening from the Dealership.

They did in fact refer my truck to a REAL Diesel Shop last Friday. The Diesel shop replaced a gear on on the pump shaft that was worn out. Apparently, this gear is responsible for HOLDING the pump in time (or something like that). Maybe someone who knows more about these pumps will chime in and explain what it does.

Anyways, my truck is running GREAT !!

I'm getting set to install a set of 370s and a 3KGSK in it real soon. Hang with me Robert! I'll have the 215s ready for you!

I'll take some pics of my truck here also!

I do want to say a BIG THANK YOU to alot of the folks here for the Moral Support! I don't think I could have kept my cool for so long with out your guys help!

-ERIC
Old 01-18-2006, 10:58 PM

Too bad you didnt know this sooner because to change the gear they had to pull the same cover the dealer did and they could have tabbed the KDP for you. Anyway to answer your ? the pump gear is tightened onto the tapered shaft of the IP with a large nut. When you pull the gear off it really Pops off sometimes. I am suprised that this needed to be replaced and would never have guessed it. Anyway congrats on getting your truck finally and glad it all worked out. It sounds like the dealer did try to do good even though the time frame sucked.
Old 01-19-2006, 08:43 AM

Maybe a saga. They did the right thing for ya though and must be a little sweeter having to wait so long.

Glad it worked out.

Now go buy the SM a gift basket... (JUST KIDDING!!!)

Big Jimmy
Old 01-19-2006, 09:40 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I would hold off on any mods. My experience has been if the timing gear has slipped enough times to wear out the gear that the shaft the gear is attached to is also worn.
The timing could easily slip again and the dealer could blame your mods on it.
Old 01-19-2006, 10:13 AM

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by ratsun
Too bad you didnt know this sooner because to change the gear they had to pull the same cover the dealer did and they could have tabbed the KDP for you.
Actually, they did secure the KDP !!! They did the Loc-tite method. I would have preferred it to be tabbed, but I'm NOT complaining.
Old 01-19-2006, 10:16 AM

Arrow

Originally Posted by infidel
I would hold off on any mods. My experience has been if the timing gear has slipped enough times to wear out the gear that the shaft the gear is attached to is also worn.
The timing could easily slip again and the dealer could blame your mods on it.
I'm kinda worried about that. Don't you think the Diesel Shop would have caught a worn shaft while they were in there ??

BTW, the ONLY mods I'm considering at this point are the 3KGSK and a set of 370s.

I don't tow or pull anything and won't be racing it either. It will mainly be used as my Commuter vehicle (70 miles/day).
Old 01-19-2006, 07:50 PM

Exclamation

BAD NEWS...... My truck is BACK AT THE SHOP.

Ok. Here's the latest.

Got it back last evening. Drove around town today doing errands. Had to attend a meeting a work (56 mile roundtrip 99% Hwy). Go to get off the Exit off the Highway and then Guage Alarm starts DINGING. I'm like WTH ?? Look over the guages and notice the Oil Guage PEGGED all the way to the LEFT. ZERO OIL PRESSURE!! I coast over to a gas station (Couple hundred feet). Pop hood and check the oil level. I also notice that the Coolant overflow was spewing out some Coolant. (ODD I thought). There was barely ANY oil on the stick AT ALL. All indications it was DOWN 5-6 qts. I went and double checked the Coolant Temp guage (was NOT reading high a few minutes prior). The Coolant Temp was FINE (maybe 160-170 degrees). I went bought some oil and filled it back up. I live about 1/4 mile from the station so I babied it home.

Got home and started inspecting everything under the hood/truck for possible oil leaks. I then went and popped the cap for the Coolant recovery bottle. This is when I notice the bottle was FULL of OIL !!!!!! I'm like HOLY S$%TT !!!!

Called the Dealership. Got it flatbedded over there and got another loaner car.
I've only driven this truck < 100 miles since I picked it up yesterday evening. I gave absolutely NO indication of driveability issues or any steam out the tailpipe etc.... NO indication whatsoever that something was wrong!

So.... Looks like (at the very least) the head gasket is toast! What the hell would cause the headgasket to fail in this situation ????

The Dealership is going to assess the situation tomorrow and get back with me.
Not sure how/where to proceed from here.
Old 01-19-2006, 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by Katmandu
BAD NEWS...... My truck is BACK AT THE SHOP.

Ok. Here's the latest.

Got it back last evening. Drove around town today doing errands. Had to attend a meeting a work (56 mile roundtrip 99% Hwy). Go to get off the Exit off the Highway and then Guage Alarm starts DINGING. I'm like WTH ?? Look over the guages and notice the Oil Guage PEGGED all the way to the LEFT. ZERO OIL PRESSURE!! I coast over to a gas station (Couple hundred feet). Pop hood and check the oil level. I also notice that the Coolant overflow was spewing out some Coolant. (ODD I thought). There was barely ANY oil on the stick AT ALL. All indications it was DOWN 5-6 qts. I went and double checked the Coolant Temp guage (was NOT reading high a few minutes prior). The Coolant Temp was FINE (maybe 160-170 degrees). I went bought some oil and filled it back up. I live about 1/4 mile from the station so I babied it home.

Got home and started inspecting everything under the hood/truck for possible oil leaks. I then went and popped the cap for the Coolant recovery bottle. This is when I notice the bottle was FULL of OIL !!!!!! I'm like HOLY SHH!!TT !!!!

Called the Dealership. Got it flatbedded over there and got another loaner car.
I've only driven this truck < 100 miles since I picked it up yesterday evening. I gave absolutely NO indication of driveability issues or any steam out the tailpipe etc.... NO indication whatsoever that something was wrong!

So.... Looks like (at the very least) the head gasket is toast! What the hell would cause the headgasket to fail in this situation ????

The Dealership is going to assess the situation tomorrow and get back with me.
Not sure how/where to proceed from here.

Fun reading posts before the mods get to it.
Old 01-19-2006, 08:52 PM

Unhappy

Originally Posted by rammtuff
Fun reading posts before the mods get to it.
Why ? What would you say it my situation ?
Old 01-19-2006, 08:57 PM

I would consider finding another truck if the dealer is open to returning all your money. Its hard to have faith in a truck that may have other issues other than the ones you Are so aware of now. Seems like it spent part of its time being driven to an inch of its life. Cummins or not, that is a bad sign. I know I would'nt want it. At some point the dealer will be able to say they have done as much as can be expected- then what?
Get out of the deal. You have certain rights and I think you are within them to ask out of the deal.

Good luck.

Big Jimmy
Old 01-19-2006, 09:00 PM

Too bad about going back in the shop. At least you didn't do the injectors and such yet. Good lick hope it goes better than first round.
Jed
Old 01-19-2006, 09:25 PM

Unhappy

Originally Posted by big jimmy
I would consider finding another truck if the dealer is open to returning all your money. You have certain rights and I think you are within them to ask out of the deal.
Yea I know it.

I'm SERIOUSLY considering my options at this point.

Thing I'm not sure about it this. I traded my 98 Eddie Bauer Explorer in on this truck. I was Upside down in the loan and ended up "eating" $700 which I refinanced on top of money I spent on this CTD. So "IF" this deal goes sour, I would "MOST" likely having to buy another vehicle at this Dealership. That's actually OK with me seeing the way they've treated me with this deal. I'm "was" actually pretty happy they way they handled things (It just took forever and a day). My wife and I actually bought a brand new Jeep Liberty from this Dealership 4-5 months ago. Got a great deal and have had ZERO problems with it.

Anyways, my point is I think I'm "stuck" dealing with these guys one way or another.

I really hate to throw in the towel on this truck. It's a pretty unusal truck that is in exellant shape (other than this engine problem). It's a 4x4 SWB Club Cab SLT Leather interior, new Centerforce clutch etc... It does however have 191k miles on it.

Not sure what to think at this point......
Old 01-19-2006, 09:48 PM

Maybe you can request that the engine be "gone over" by a third party (shop) that would at least tell you what shape the whole thing is in. Then go from there.

I would try to get away from the fix it as it breaks thing cause the dealer will eventually stop fixing things. So maybe you can get them to agree to fix what is found to be wrong, one shot even if that means almost an overhaul based on the info from having it gone over. Then you'd just be dealing with the normal maint. issues. and thats expected. I'd educate yourself and then specify what the shop must do. Once thats done maybe you would agree to release them from any further responsibility. That might look good to them. Just make sure its REALLY been gone over!

Better minds might know otherwise...

Big J.

Quick Reply: Why would a mechanic NEED to pull out the Camshaft ??