12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

Why would a mechanic NEED to pull out the Camshaft ??

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2006, 05:34 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry Why would a mechanic NEED to pull out the Camshaft ??

Looooong Story.......Short version.....

RANT ON:

I just bought a 98 CTD (from a Dodge ***********) on Friday 12-23-05. It has 190k on the clock and is in Exceptional Condition (besides a nasty oil leak).

I bought it with the mutually agreed understanding (Signed Agreement) that the *********** was to replace the Crank Seal (front I assume).

I took my truck in to replace the Crank Seal (and a new alternator) on Monday 12-26-05 and as I type this now Thursday 1-5-06 it is STILL IN THE SHOP!!

Back on Tuesday 12-27 I called and asked the mechanic to check out the KDP situation while he was "in there anyways". The Service Mgr. stated "It just so happens the mechanic noticed KDP WAS LOOSE!! So.....he said the mechanic did the Loctite Procedure and secured it. (Hope it holds!).

Anyways, I called back 12-28 for a Status check. The Service Mgr said then
the mechanic noticed that the Timing Cover seal had a rather bad oil leak and he was going to go ahead and repair it. The SM said something about needing to remove the CAMSHAFT and it was going to be a rather lengthy job.

I call the SM this past Monday and he said my truck was to be finished by Tuesday evening. Never heard back.

I drove by the *********** yesterday (Wed) AM and spotted my truck sitting OUTSIDE. It was MISSING the front bumper and cover.

I guess my question is....WTH would the mechanic "need" to remove the Camshaft to repair the front timing cover seal ???

Something SMELLS here........

BTW, I'm stopping by the *********** this AM and getting to the root of the issue.
Old 01-05-2006, 06:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If the mechanic is changing the timing case cover to the block gasket then the cam will need to come out. The cam gear is pressed on so it cant simply be unbolted to allow the cover to come off. If this work is in progress I would go down to the Cummins store and get a KDP tab and have it installed. The part # is 3958017 and is listed as a washer. If the dealer is doing all the work for free as part of the deal I wouldnt complain. Let us know what ya find out.
Old 01-05-2006, 06:53 AM

Exactly what Chilton said. I had the same thing done a couple months ago and saw mine in the same condition yours is. I did get mine back on the 4th. day however.
Sorry to say it ain't a cheap fix! I went to a Cummins mechanic and he took 16 shop hours to complete job.
Might as well put a new serpentine belt on too.
Old 01-05-2006, 07:09 AM

I was just thinking and remembered something. It was common practice for dodge mechanics to take the timing cover loose and goop the hell out of it with silicone sealer then bolt it back together. I believe that this was actually a star repair method. It saves pulling the cam. If your mechanic is actually pulling the cam and doing the repair right you shpould probably buy the guy lunch out of appreciation. I would also right the guys name down in case you need him to do some work later. It sounds like he is really trying to take care of ya.
Old 01-05-2006, 08:09 AM

Question

Originally Posted by robert chilton
If the mechanic is changing the timing case cover to the block gasket then the cam will need to come out. The cam gear is pressed on so it cant simply be unbolted to allow the cover to come off.
Well, you hit the nail right on the head Robert!

Unfortunately (for me), my truck is sitting in the exact same spot it was 24hrs ago. I went in and had a talk with the SM and he said the mechanic was OFF today and "probably" will have it all back together tomorrow sometime.

Apparently, the mechanic was OFF yesterday as well cause nothing was done to it.

Anyways...... I do believe they are taking the proper course of action and doing the repair correctly.

I'm not sure what to think of the KDP. I see evidence to suggest the mechanic tapped it back into place and the SM said he used Loctite on it. I would REALLY prefer to have the KDP Tab installed.

Anyone know where I can get a KDP TAB within the NEXT 24hrs here to Troy, Ohio ??

Another thing that has been going through my mind is this.....

My truck has now been at the Stealersh1p going on (10) days now. I bought it from them (12) days ago. I traded my 98 Explorer in on it and they did no give NOR offer to get me a Rental car. Thank goodness I have a couple old beater cars around here to fall back on.

My point is this. "Should" I ask/pester/demand for some type of compensation for the lost time and inconvienience this has caused me ??

One thing I will insist on is to prorate my 30 day Warranty to begin when I pick it up. I would like at least a voucher for couple of FREE Diesel oil changes!

What would you do ??
Old 01-05-2006, 08:21 AM

If the dealership is doing the work without any money out of your pocket, be patience and glad you have a mechanic that is doing the job right. The KDP tap, i would offer to pay to have it done while they are working on it.
Old 01-05-2006, 08:21 AM

Man they are fixing your oil leak and doing it the right way, which is what you said would be done, as part of the purchase. Ask for the 30 day warranty to be prorated. and call it a job well done. I why do you want a bunch of other stuff that wasn't part of the deal. BTW enjoy the truck, 98 12 valve hard to find.

JED
Old 01-05-2006, 08:27 AM

If you have a Cummins store near by the part number above will due you fine. Piers also carrys them for $2 and offers overnight delivery which could be a littly costly. If you have any fab skills you could make one yourself. If you search for KDP you should be able to find the diagram with measurements. It is nothing more than an egg shapped piece of flat steel with a bolthole drilled in it. I wouldnt pestor the dealer for anything more than the extending the warrenty so that you have 30 days upon reciept of the truck. You new it had a leak and negotiated fixing it. It is just taking longer than either one of you thought that it would.
Old 01-05-2006, 08:46 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
You can make your own tab out of a wasker or take a punch & make a couple of dimples around the hole holding the pin in. Killing the KDP is no big deal after you get the cover off.
Old 01-05-2006, 09:14 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Make your own, I have made them before, it took me about 5 minutes!!
Old 01-05-2006, 09:15 AM

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by 67HotRod
If the dealership is doing the work without any money out of your pocket, be patience and glad you have a mechanic that is doing the job right.
That's EXACTLY what my wife has been trying to hammer into my ROCK HARD head. Guess I'm just getting real impatient to DRIVE that sumbich!

As far as the KDP tab goes, there is no local shop that carries the tab and I haven't the time to fabricate one before tomorrow AM. I'll just have to trust the mechanic's judgement and skills.
Old 01-05-2006, 09:19 AM

Anyone know where I can get a KDP TAB within the NEXT 24hrs here to Troy, Ohio ??

What would you do ?? [/QUOTE]

Pretty much any of the vendors on this site could overnight you one.
I would let them fix it and be happy
Old 01-05-2006, 09:26 AM

Arrow

Originally Posted by linetrash75
Man they are fixing your oil leak and doing it the right way, which is what you said would be done, as part of the purchase. Ask for the 30 day warranty to be prorated. and call it a job well done. I why do you want a bunch of other stuff that wasn't part of the deal.
Guess that way I was viewing it is this....

The truck was sitting on a Dodge Stealers used car lot. I come along, paying pretty much FULL RETAIL price, Trade off my DAILY driver and then have to sacrifice it for over (10) days.

The truck was NOT reconditioned (oil leak repaired) NOR was it even Detailed BEFORE they stuck it out on the lot to resell. IMHO, all this "should" have been addressed and taken care of BEFORE it was placed out For Sale to the Public.

I dunno.......just doesn't seem like a good way to do business to me.
Old 01-05-2006, 12:15 PM

I bought a 2000 Durango after my wife's Bravada burned up. the Ins co took 2 wks to total out the Bravada and I couldn't buy anything to replace it until they did. We took delivery of the Durango the next day. 3 days later my wife left for work and immediately came back and told me that something was wrong with it. It would start in 3rd and would never shift to overdrive. I could get it to go into 1st and second if I forced it be putting the shifter in 1st and then second. I took it back to the dealer to get it fixed. I bought an extended warranty with it (had 68K when I bought it). It took the dealer almost 3 weeks to get Approval from the Extended warranty people to work on it and another week to replace the trans governor solonoid and the PCM that got fried by the solonoid. I got a rental for the time it was in the shop(1 month!). when the Durango was finished I went to pick it up and was presented a bill for almost $600 for the rental car and some other stuff. and I refused to pay it. the sales dept ended up eating the rental bill and the service Dept ate the other money they were trying to get from me(they were trying to charge me for consumables that is covered by the extended warranty) I ended walking out of there with the Durango and my wallet was only lighter by $25 for the deductable. Stick to your guns and make sure the Sales manager knows you situation and if He (or she) won't assist, take it to the next level.
Old 01-05-2006, 07:24 PM

Ratsun, if it's not to late, download/make a copy of the diagram on how to make the tab and bring it in to the dealer. Pay a few extra bucks for the tech to fab it up and install it and be done with it. I would not settle for just the loc-tite.

Heres the link to the tab diagram:

http://dodgeram.org/tech/dsl/Dowel_Pin/tab.htm

Kevin

Quick Reply: Why would a mechanic NEED to pull out the Camshaft ??