12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

wheel bearing

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2011, 11:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wheel bearing

I have to replace the front left wheel bearing on a 1994 2500 4x4 diesel pickup. I looked at a couple of auto parts websites and didn't find the unit bearing. Would I be better off getting the bearing from a Dodge dealer? Searching the forum, I've read comments to that effect.
Also, I'm thinking of pulling the rotor off without first removing the hub-to-knuckle bolts. I guess this would pull the bearing apart but I have to replace it anyway. I got the idea from watching an "Edz Garage" video where they took a front hub apart in that order. And despite the truck's age and state of corrosion I think I might be able to get the rotor off without too much trouble.
I had to take this truck to a shop about a year ago. The front left u-joint was bad, and I couldn't get the hub out by myself. I told the shop while they had it apart to clean up the mating surfaces and put a little lube on them so that it would come apart if I ever had to work on that wheel in the future. So maybe I can get the rotor off with just the hand tools I have at my disposal. Of course I will have to get the hub-to-knuckle bolts out after, but it might be easier with the rotor off because I can spray the thread ends with some penetrant. Make sense?
Old 05-29-2011, 12:15 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
you can get the bearings at napa ,I just bought 2 new timpkens for 185 each .also I would take it apart as 1 unit its not hard if you ues the power steering as a press, just loosen the knuckle bolts and use a 1/2" extension between the axle and bolts and turn the wheel even easyer with a friend.
Old 05-29-2011, 01:27 PM

Last year when I tried to work on this thing I couldn't even loosen the hub-to-knuckle bolts. I sure hope the shop put anti-seize on them.
I found a hub assembly for $150 at a parts store here, including eight new studs.

Edit:

Just now I snapped a half inch breaker bar on a hub-to-knuckle bolt.
Obviously those idiots at the shop didn't use anti-seize.
How do you get those bolts out?
Maybe my best bet is grind them off and use new bolts on the new hub.
Old 05-29-2011, 04:02 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I use a impact with a 12 point socket and universal .I have a ingersolrand titanium 1000ft tq it always gets stuff loose
Old 05-30-2011, 09:17 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Use Kriol. It is in a an orange can with black letters. There is no substitute. http://www.kanolabs.com/google/

I bought my bearings here: http://www.rockauto.com/ In fact whenever I get into a big job I always buy my parts there. The local auto parts store wouldn't match their prices because they were lower than cost. Do a Google search for "rockauto+coupon" and you will find a code for an additional 5% off that usually about covers shipping.
Old 05-31-2011, 07:29 PM

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Those bolts can be a bugger to get out. I must have missed one bolt a few years ago with anti-sieze, because I had the same problem, then it rounded off the head a bit. Ended up putting a few tiny weld beads on it (after cutting the ball joint studs off) and pounding the socket back on, then lots of heat and leverage. Have fun.
Old 06-02-2011, 06:08 PM

Get a Timken... Got a good deal on one from Rockauto.com. Once you install it, just make sure you torque the hub-to-knuckle bolts & axle nut properly or it might wear the new bearing out prematurely.