12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

What made my truck lock up? Pls help

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2011, 07:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I bet it was the dowel pin!! It will be at the front gearcase cover. Can you turn it backwards? DON"T use the starter until you figure it out!
Old 05-09-2011, 08:08 PM

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by 97CLIFFORD
Hey guys, sorry it took so long to get back. Had to deal with getting a beater truck to work from till I can fix this.

Pulled the belt and the alternator spins like a top. Tried all I can but still can't turn crank! Does it really sound like a kdp issue? I have never addressed it and don't even know if I have one. But why would the pin get thrown out just sitting at normal idle?

I've gotta think it is related to my recent tranny issues. I just don't know what to try next. It would be REAL nice to be able to turn motor so I can get to all the trans bolts. But why won't it crank with everything in NEUTRAL.. Makes no sense.

Going nuts, Any other ideas will be explored in-depth,
Thanks a millioin

If you look at the motor while running, it vibrates most at idle. Pull that front cover, at least to fix the kdp if that wasn't the problem.
Old 05-20-2011, 08:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by the.hogman
Couple of clarifying questions:
I see you put several extensions on trying to turn the engine over manually. What were you trying to turn? The crankshaft, the flywheel? I want to know the specifics. When it stalled in the drive did it slowly bog down and die or did it come to an abrupt stop like something physically stopped the rotation of the engine?
I was trying to turn the crankshaft. Yes, it did suddenly come to an abrupt stop, but it was more like the same way it stops when you just turn off the key. Nothing violent or noisy at all.

When trying to crank it over it just had no movement at all either way. And, yes I did try it with the starter off. Actually one of the first things I did was to pull the starter out of suspicion cause I'm running cheap filed down bushings and it is old.

One thing I tried last weekend was I jacked up the rear, put everything in neutral, and was able to roll the back wheels. They spun like pinwheels.

This weekend (tomorrow) I'm gonna charge my battery and everything, jack up the rear again, turn the key "on", and put it in drive. To see if I am able to roll the back wheels then?

I am almost positive at this point that it is the trans (47re) and specifically the trans oil pump. I just want more to go on cause I am about broke from having to buy a 2500 gasser (not to mention the gas)

Am I on the right track with what I'm doing?
Old 05-22-2011, 07:58 PM

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
It won't go into gear unless the trans pump is supplying pressure to apply a gear. IE the motor has to be running. If you are set on the trans being the problem then yank it out.
Old 05-23-2011, 08:43 AM

Agreed with GORMS, unless there was a castrophic failure in the tranny that has in some way seized the entire torque converter not allowing the engine to turn over... Keep in mind this could be a possibility.

Unless you had the truck in neutral, and held one of the rear wheels from spinning while it was jacked up, all you did was check to see if the rear axle was seized above. Jack one wheel up, put it in nuetral and try to spin a rear wheel, this should make the driveshaft turn, spinning the tranny innards. This WILL NOT verify the torque converter as it is fluid pressure based.

I just have this gut feeling that you are dealing with something other than the tranny. I am still leaning towards the KDP or something inside the front cover physically stopping the motor rotation.

I wish I was closer, this mess has really gotten my interest up.

Someone jump in if I am wrong!!!
Old 05-23-2011, 01:00 PM

Much easier to pull the front cover than the trans. If it's not the KDP and it's in the block you'll have to pull the front cover anyway, when it's time to swap blocks. I have seen many types of transmission failures, manual, and automatic. If there is fluid in it, there's almost no way it could seize from input to output shaft. More likely no way, unless the trans seized, and the torque converter got stuck locked, at the same time. Which is pretty much impossible. Drain the oil next and look for signs of damage, and maybe check the valve covers to see that a valve didn't drop out. Just my .02
Old 05-28-2011, 01:44 AM

I'd check KDP too...for $80 and 6-8 hours or less, it's 100% worth the peace of mind...especially in the light of your present circumstances.
Old 06-27-2011, 09:42 PM

a locked up oil pump in the tranny would cause his exact problem., the pump going out would also explain lots of tranny problems.
Old 06-27-2011, 10:10 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by plcnut
a locked up oil pump in the tranny would cause his exact problem., the pump going out would also explain lots of tranny problems.

+1 as low pressure would cause the converter to never lock and slip- I bet there is a nice stack of shaveings on the pan mag
Old 06-28-2011, 08:19 AM

Wouldn't you still be able to rotate the flywheel with the wheels off of the ground with a locked up pump? Without a locker, I do mean rotate the flywheel and not just one of the rear wheels. Might not be easy, but it should be able to be done I think.
Old 06-28-2011, 05:42 PM

no, you wudnt. it uses the case of the trans as its anchoring so it wud be a no go
Old 06-29-2011, 08:16 AM

Of course!! I wasn't thinking that all of the way through...
Old 06-29-2011, 11:29 AM

happens to all of us from time to time....so dont feel left out lol