12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

What made my truck lock up? Pls help

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2011, 06:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy What made my truck lock up? Pls help

Hello everyone. Thank you to those who responded to my previous post last week. And also to those who read it and at least thought about it.

Last night, Clifford (the big red Dodge) took a turn for the worse.

After having shift problems for about a week (mainly on the deceleration side) and replacing my GPS and transducer, I was still looking for an electronics-related cause of my symptoms. Last night I was at a family member's house across town, and was about to leave, shooting breeze while idling. Idle seemed fine, steady about 900 +/-.
Then, suddenly, it stalled out. I was not truly shocked because lately much stranger things have happened.
Tried to restart, nothing.
Checked batteries, OK.
Manually actuated FSS, still nothing.
Wouldn't even turn over.
Pulled the starter (in their driveway) and tested with battery charger. Starter ran strong.
Took a big pipe wrench and couldn't turn motor at all.
Put a big pipe over pipe wrench, still stuck.
Put a crowbar on the big pipe over pipe wrench, still stuck.

So I guess I'll be pulling the tranny and TC? Will be hard to do since if I can't turn flywheel, TC will have to come off shaft still attached to trans.

But my question is what caused this? And am I correct in thinking a new TC will solve the whole thing? When I dropped the pan this weekend, the fluid was slightly discolored due to some hot mountain driving I had to do for work recently (240+ degrees at the top.) But no shavings, not even metal dust. Replacing the Gov solenoid and transducer helped with my upshifting, which had been shuddering and hunting between 2-3, etc. Did this after I threw a 1757 code.

Now I have no truck and until its fixed, no job. Any help / knowledge would be greatly appreciated. I was kind of hoping i need a new PCM or TC cause I'm getting broker every day now and don't want to just chuck a bunch of parts at it.

BTW its a 97 2500 4wd (12v 5.9) with the 47re (ball and chain.)
Old 03-22-2011, 07:13 PM

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
That's a real bummer, seems strange though. If it doesn't move in either direction with a socket on the damper bolt, one could easily assume the motor seized. I guess something with the flexplate breaking or a severely damaged TC could freeze up the crank on the motor, I've never seen it happen though. Try it in neutral just for kicks, transfer case and/or transmission.

I pulled out my trans with the torque converter still bolted up twice, I actually find it easier that way. The converter just slips into the trans, so once the bellhousing is unbolted just pull the tranny away. The access plug for the flexplate to converter bolts is on the front of the block adapter, 2 bolts hold it on, behind/below the turbo. Pop that off and see if there is any noticeable damage to anything, as well as the little cover on the bottom of the bellhousing (just a weep/peep hole).

Has the KDP ever been addressed?
Old 03-22-2011, 07:57 PM

Thanks, Gorms

Yes we tried to turn the motor with the truck in neutral, also with transfer case in neutral. And it is strange you're right. I'll take a look at the access plug, did look at what I could see with the starter out. Saw nothing unusual but I'll check it out again.

Also, no the kdp hasnt been addressed and I'm at about 318,000 miles (still just a baby). If I threw the kdp just sitting at idle, it would be a real coincidence considering the recent electrical, cooling, and shifting troubles. I'll take a look though.
Old 03-23-2011, 07:40 AM
Administrator

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts
Before you get all paranoid, try pulling the Serp. belt off and make sure your Alternator did not seize up.

Happened to me or even I would not believe it.....same exact thing, I was just setting the idling, warming her up and poof, total lockup.

Lets hope it is something simple like that at least.
Old 03-23-2011, 11:42 AM

Thanks, I'll check it out
Old 03-24-2011, 08:18 AM

+1 to playing with the serp belt - seen it happen
Old 03-27-2011, 12:46 PM

thats strange with the serpentine belt...most motors you wud think wud just burn the belt off instead of locking up
Old 03-29-2011, 02:53 PM

Any update on what is wrong yet?
Old 05-08-2011, 01:02 PM

Hey guys, sorry it took so long to get back. Had to deal with getting a beater truck to work from till I can fix this.

Pulled the belt and the alternator spins like a top. Tried all I can but still can't turn crank! Does it really sound like a kdp issue? I have never addressed it and don't even know if I have one. But why would the pin get thrown out just sitting at normal idle?

I've gotta think it is related to my recent tranny issues. I just don't know what to try next. It would be REAL nice to be able to turn motor so I can get to all the trans bolts. But why won't it crank with everything in NEUTRAL.. Makes no sense.

Going nuts, Any other ideas will be explored in-depth,
Thanks a millioin
Old 05-09-2011, 08:36 AM

Couple of clarifying questions:
I see you put several extensions on trying to turn the engine over manually. What were you trying to turn? The crankshaft, the flywheel? I want to know the specifics. When it stalled in the drive did it slowly bog down and die or did it come to an abrupt stop like something physically stopped the rotation of the engine?
In reference to the KDP, I have heard that it can fall out at any moment, it just does it whenever it gets loose enough, idle or running down the road. Fortunately I am not in the position of knowing what it sounds like the moment it falls...

I am curious as what it feels like on your truck to have the flywheel inspection cover off and with a bar, rotate the flywheel in either direction. Does it rock at all or is it solidly stuck with absolutely no movement, does it turn the engine over?

Throw us some answers to these questions and we'll see what we can do.

Good Luck!
Old 05-09-2011, 08:54 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
One of the gear cover bolts may have rattled out and fell between the crank and cam gears.
Old 05-09-2011, 10:07 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would be very surprised if it is the tranny
Old 05-09-2011, 01:02 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by the.hogman

Fortunately I am not in the position of knowing what it sounds like the moment it falls...

I hear it sounds like a cash register draining your wallet dry.
Old 05-09-2011, 01:39 PM

Hohn,

!!!
Old 05-09-2011, 01:44 PM

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Did you try turning the engine over with the starter removed? The drive may have stayed engaged and held the flywheel from turning.

Quick Reply: What made my truck lock up? Pls help