12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

What does it do?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2004, 06:52 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Get a plate first. Ignore what TST says on their website and get a #10. Most everyone, including me, with a '95 swears by them.
Old 11-20-2004, 06:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Forrest Nearring: Thanks for the tips. I adjusted my Governor Lever Arm, and i have all kinds of power now. My EGT's are pretty high, but i at least got my power back,and i also backed off my GSK springs, and got it starting fine again too. Thanks

MasseyMan1089: Any Luck?

Eric
Old 11-20-2004, 07:06 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I haven't had the time to do it yet. I am going to focus on making that lockup switch. I think that will be cool. I will wait on the GSKs and stuff. But I will slide my stock plate full foward and see how it goes. I'll keep you posted on the results... thanks
Old 11-20-2004, 08:48 PM

you can slide your plate all the way forward and it won't hurt a thing. or you can cut your plate instead of buying one and get a lot more out of it, but withiut modifying exhaust and turbine housing, you will be asking for trouble
Old 11-20-2004, 10:16 PM

MasseyMan1089: How hot does your tranny get while pulling big loads up steep hills and holding it on the floor? There's one nasty hill(long and steep) that i have to pull coming out of my uncles place, and when ive got a big load of round bales(32ft goosneck) i really have to lay into it(well i dont have to but it sure is fun ) to get up the hill, and im sure my tranny is probably getting hot, but i dont know. Thanks

Eric
Old 11-21-2004, 10:09 AM

Cumminsdriver635: I dont know yet I just got my gauges a few weeks ago and I haven't hauled anything yet. I wish I would have had them a month ago when I was hauling grain with it. (see pictures) I am anxious to know how hot it got or gets. Our one field is down in a hole like, where you have to go down a very steep winding rock road. I pulled up that gravity wagon full of beans up it. I put it in 1 with 4X4 low and held her to the floor. Low low you might say It pulled right up strong and firm. No complaints at all. That was totally stock too, just the star wheel and a K&N. I am very happy with my truck so far.
Old 11-21-2004, 11:28 AM

Nice truck! How big around is your stack? Yeah, Im sure mine gets plenty hot pulling some of the steeper hills, and stuff, so i was wondering about yours. Did you hook your gauges up yourself? If so, where did u tap into to get a transmission temperature reading? I think i heard you can put it where the truck gets the tmp reading, and then put a resistor between the stock sensor so lockupstill works right, but i dont know.

Eric
Old 11-21-2004, 02:05 PM

Thanks. It's been a good truck to me so far, with the exception of my tps biting the dust I don't have my trans temp hooked yet. I have my boost and pyro hooked though. I really haven't looked that much into how to install that one though? I will have to check out the instructions on how to do it, that came with it, if it even says how. Im sure there is a thread on here that shows how. How hard is it to put that transgo shift kit on? Where does it go and stuff?
Old 11-21-2004, 02:06 PM

Oh, and its a 4" stack. I bought it off E-Bay. I will post some more pics of mounting it and underneath the truck.
Old 11-21-2004, 04:27 PM

The transgo goes in the valve body in the tranny. You just pull the pan off the bottom, unbolt the filter, undo the linkages that are hooked to the valve body, unbolt the valve body, and pull it out. Its not that hard to install the kit into the valve body, but it can be a little scary, as you have to drill a few holes, and file some stuff, so it can be a little frightening as to hoping that your tranny still works at all when you get it back together. We really didnt have any probems installing mine; it just took a little time. On the tranny temp sensor: I think there is a port on one of the lines that the stock sensore goes into, and it tells the computer when your tranny fluid is warm enough to allow lockup in 4th gear. Ive heard you can just pull it out, screw your tranny sensor that came with the gauge right in there, and then buy a resistor(it has to be a certain #. Youll have to find that out), and jump it between the wires/poles on the stock trans temp sensor. At least thats how i understood it. I was kind of thinking about a 5 inch stack for my truck, and i could get one basically for free(5 inch turnout) because my buddy has 2 and he owes me a little money, and i could probably just get the stack instead so i dont know. Sometimes id like to have one, and somethimes i wouldnt.

Eric
Old 11-21-2004, 04:41 PM

Wow, its sounds like a job to do the transgo. Do you think the truck is high enough to do it with a lift? I dont have a lift or anything...but I do have a large floor jack. My dad is pretty good with things like that. Im sure we will be able to tackle that job as well. I will do some research on installing the gauge and see what has to be done. Are you going to get a trans temp gauge?
Old 11-21-2004, 07:12 PM

No. You dont need a lift or anything. A floor jack might be handy for pushing in a servo thing that you have to put a spacer under, but you dont really need much of anything as far as a lift. I just laid under the truck. Also, at first i couldnt get the valve body out, and i finally realized i had to pull on it just a little. Also. Last night i saw a Transgo shift kit in the Classifieds on here for $50. I think its the same one i have. Here is the link to it: https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...1&cat=6&page=2

Thought you might want to check it out.
I dont know if ill get a tranny temperatur gauge or not. Id like to have one, but dont know if ill get one or not. It will probably be a while before i do. Im hopefully getting an aftermarket torque converter soon too, so that will help my tranny a bunch right there. Also. I was just wondering how old you were. You dont have to tell me if you dont want, or you can PM me if you want, but i was just wondering. Im a 17 year old Junior in high school.

Eric
Old 11-26-2004, 09:07 AM

I was reading this about the transgo and the toggle switch for the lockup. Cummingdriver635, I remember you saying that by keeping it in lockup all the time makes the tranny shift hard cause it is putting all the power to the ground. Doesnt that transgo make the shifts harder and essentially do the same thing?? Why not just keep the lockup switch on all the time, vs. buying a trango? Just a question...
Old 11-26-2004, 03:35 PM

The transgo makes it shift a little harder/firmer, but it is nothing like keeping the TC locked. When the TC is locked it is more jerky than anything. If you mash it to the floor with the TC locked, it will shift pretty smooth, but if you are just giving it about half throttle, it might want to jerk you around pretty hard. The transgo makes it shift firmer, but when the TC is locked it is a pretty violent shift sometimes. The transgo also ups the line pressure, and makes it shift quicker, and the upped line pressure really helps the TC hold the power. Its hard to explain, but with the TC locked its just like shifting a manual without the clutch. You know how it can jerk kinda hard when you do that if you dont time the shifts, and rpm's just right. Just hook up a Lockup switch, and drive your truck, and try it out some. You will see what i mean. Takes all of 15 minutes to hook up.

Eric
Old 11-26-2004, 04:11 PM

OK, I plan to do that. Does it hurt the transmission to keep it locked all the time?

Quick Reply: What does it do?