12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

What does it do?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2004, 09:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TST recommended a max of 230/605 for a stock tranny in our year range. For your 160 hp pump the plate would be a TST #6. A stock tranny should handle this ok if the tranny is in good shape and driven correctly.

The additional power will only benefit you after the torque converter is locked. Using the added power with an unlocked stock tc will just build heat at a faster pace.

Keep the rpm up when towing. Meaning, don't stay in o/d lockup when load and grade is pulling your rpm down in the max torque range of 1600. This will put max torque loading on the drive train and especially the o/d unit, smallest gear in the system. Drop back to 3rd lockup which will give higher rpm and less torque stress on tranny.

Moving the plate forward will give more fueling as already stated.
However, I've read that the max power/torque band can be spiky.

Do a site search on the mystery switch and understand what it does and how to use it without doing damage.
Old 11-16-2004, 05:43 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
OK, I think I will just try and slide my stocke plate foward. Can someone post the link for how to do that for me. So CumminsDriver365, can you send me some more info on making my own lockup switch? With that installed, I can keep my tranny locked in any gear? Woo hoo thatll make me some smoke! Wont it smoke more too with that plate slid foward? Thanks...
Old 11-16-2004, 06:23 PM

Sliding you plate will make more smoke than anything, but the tranny, just helps it make that smoke even after you get rolling if you have a lock up switch.With the lock up switch, you cant keep the tranny in any gear you want, but you can lock the torque converter in any gear except first. Id love to be able to keep mined in 2nd gear with the TC locked, but for some reason, with the column shifter pulled down into 2nd, it wont let the converter lock. You can basically hold it in 3rd locked as long as you dont go really slow, and then mash it, or it will shift back down to 2nd kind of harsh with the TC still locked up, but once you get in 4th gear with the lock up switch on, it wont come out no matter what, till you flip the switch off, and it will pull you through an intersection if you forget . Here is the link for instructions from TST's website. I looked for them the other day but couldnt find it because they changed the site, but i found them now. Heres the link. Scroll down to where it says 94-94 trucks. Link:
http://www.tstproducts.com/Torque%20...p%20Switch.pdf

Good luck. If you need any help, just ask.

Eric
Old 11-16-2004, 06:52 PM

OK, thanks alot. I cant wait to try this out! I'll make it smoke somethin awful. haha. So I splice into the 54 wire, and run a wire to the cab to a toggle? Those instructions arent too clear to me. Am I right on what to do? I thought lockup was only in 4th? Like it shifts to 4th, then it locks...? Explain it to me
Old 11-16-2004, 06:58 PM

You tap into the pin 54 wire, and run that wire into the cab to a toggle switch, and then you run a wire from the other pole of the toggle switch to a ground of some kind(any screw in the cab thats grounded will work), and any time you flip it up when its above 1st gear(2nd,3rd or 4th) it will lock the converter, and shift pretty harsh. If you dont use it, the TC will lock like normal once it hits 4th gear, but you can lock it in any gear but 1st with the lockup switch. Good luck

Eric
Old 11-16-2004, 07:02 PM

Oh ok, I get it. What do you mean it will shift pretty harsh when its locked?
Old 11-16-2004, 07:07 PM

so, are we talking smoke like this? haha https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...cat/500/page/1
Old 11-16-2004, 08:39 PM

Not Exactly smoke like that . BUT, you will be able to get a little smoke now for sure. You can also grind your stock plate down flat, and really get some power/smoke, but youll probably kill your torque converter. The reason i say it will shift harsh if you lock it up, and accelerate like you normally would taking off, is because when the TC is locked, its putting ALL the power to the ground, and the tranny basically has no give. Its hard to explain, but its like shifting a manual without using the clutch, because it is putting all the power to the ground. I find mine shifts the best locked up if i keep my foot into it, because it keeps the play out of the driveshaft, and rear end, so that it shifts smoother. If you just barely give it much gas, it will wait a second to shift, which kind of gets the play back into things, and when it upgears, it starts trying to pull hard again, and takes the play out of everything really fast, causing it to jerk. I wish i could take you a ride in my truck, but youll understand when you get it in. It still wont billow the smoke with the stock plate moved, but you will definatley have a noticable amount now . Let me know if you have any questions.

Eric
Old 11-16-2004, 08:59 PM

Sounds good. I appreciate all you help. I thought that the smallish puff I got with just the star wheel was nice. The only way I could get it to smoke while moving is when it was locked in4th and i would slow down to 55ish, then push it down hard and let off. haha. I will be able to control that now though.
Old 11-16-2004, 11:34 PM

If you really want it to smoke, slide the AFC housing full forward along witht he plate. The AFC is the cover for the plate. Basically it just commands low end fueling, the farther fuel, the more fuel until you get boost, then the AFC does not matter anymore.
Old 11-16-2004, 11:38 PM
Banned

just remove the AFC spring... won't be that bad w/ stock plate and injectors... w/ my #0 plate and 370's, it would put out a little bit of smoke
Old 11-17-2004, 06:25 AM

To me the best mod to an auto truck is a 3 or 4 gsk upgrade, it feels like alot more power without endangering the stock tranny much at all.

just my .002
Old 11-17-2004, 03:05 PM

What exaclty does the govenor spring do? I know it raises the govenor, but like whats it do? Send me a link to where I can get the cheapest too.
Old 11-17-2004, 03:10 PM
Banned

it's a stiffer set of springs that keep the lever arm from moving up as quickly... realize that this also effects the fuel curve of your fuel plate per RPM... so something like a #6 plate with a big nose on it won't be a good combo for a big GSK... I believe the #4, #10, and #0 (and #100 for that matter) are the "GSK friendly" plates.

Forrest
Old 11-17-2004, 03:15 PM

The GSK really made my truck a lot peppier, but with the plate i had(about a #5/6) it killed my power, but i believe i can adjust the governor lever arm and get my power back. Im gonna try today. The GSK is definatley a good mod though if you have a fuel plate that works well with it. My truck shifts awesome now compared to before(NEVER hangs a shift now), and it locks up the TC quicker too. You can buy one from TST products for about $125 with free shipping.

Eric

Quick Reply: What does it do?