12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

What does it do?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2004, 05:03 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
OK, I hooked up my TC Lock switch on Saturday. I am very happy with it, the truck is alot faster from the stop with it. I mounted it kind of below the wait to start light. Its looks good, and its out of the way. I also slid my stock plate foward. She smokes a ton now between the slid plate and the TC Lockup. I lock it up, then slow down and lug it for a few seconds, and it pours the smoke. Does anyone know what the numbers are on the side of the stock fuel plate? I also had a time getting the break off screw off. That sucked. I first tried the TORX, and the bolt was very soft, then i did the screw driver thing, and it was still soft and turned out. So I ended up taking a chance and busting the head of it off, then pulling the housing off, and then taking a vise grip and turning it out. I replaced it with a different bolt. I am happy with the smoke and added power. Thanks...
Old 12-06-2004, 06:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I knew you would be happy, and it shouldnt hurt your tranny as long as you dont slip the TC. Do you see what I mean about it shifting kind of rough if you just give it about half throttle with the lockup switch from a dead stop? Without my TC lockup switch my truck would have gotten beat a lot of times racing, but if I use it, i can beat a lot of people pretty bad. It knocked about 1 second off of my 1/8th mile time . Glad you got it all working right. I figured that would keep you happy for a while . You will crap your pants and the smoke and power if you ever get a fuel plate , or cut the stock one. What kind of boost can you get? Glad you got it working like you want.

Eric
Old 12-06-2004, 07:09 PM

Well, the shifts arent as awful as what I thought they were going to be. It isnt bad, like you said, when you put 'er to the floor. I dont keep it locked while driving, just for taking off, and to smoke the ricers behind me. It does have alot less speed taking off from a stop with it locked, which equals smoke cause there is no turbo spool. I was on a street in town, and i slowed down a little, and this girl came right on me, so I slowed more, locked it up, and put it to the floor and clouded the WHOLE street. Needless to say, she backed off. haha. What were the numbers on your stock plate? Before I slid the plate, I got 25 pounds when i really gave her hell. Is that normal by the way? I forgot to look now that I slid it. Yeah, Im really happy with it... My egts didnt go up either? even when i smoke it alot.
Old 12-06-2004, 08:13 PM

Yeah, EGT's dont seem to be too much of a problem with a slid stock plate. They arent on my buddy's 95 manual anyway. Also, my truck even with the aftermarket plate never had a problem with EGT's till i put in my 3k GSK. My truck already had the fuel plate in it when i got it, so i cant really say what # it had on it. My buddies has a # on it, but i have no idea what it is, and i know he doesent remember it either. Yeah, shifts arent Horrible, but they are just rougher than if you dont use it for sure. Also, do you have something done to the wastegate? 25 is more than normal for a stock truck, but that doesent hurt anything at all. A stock truck should be right around 18-20lbs of boost at WOT. I get 40lbs of boost when i mash mine , but it has a boost elbow, and a 3k GSK. Also, did you slide the AFC housing full forward? If not, that should help a little with smoke/power . The next thing you need to do is spend $125 for a 3K RPM Governor Spring Kit. You will LOVE it with the ato, and it doesent really add power,. but you will sure think it does. It is not harder on the tranny since it doesent add power, but you will love driving it a lot more without the lockup switch if you had a 3k GSK. It REALLY woke mine up, anbd it shifts much better. Before the GSK it would run 63mph in 3rd gear, and now it will run 80 . Also, when i used to go to pass someone with just the fuel plate; if i didnt lock my TC, it took me a while to get around them, cause the tranny would hang just a little going from 3rd-4th, and it would only be turning about 2300rpm's, and i would finally get around them. Now, just put her on the matt, she'll down gear to 3rd, and im GONE! It will jump up to about 2800rpm's, and MOVE OUT! Definatlety an awesome mod for an automatic truck, and everyone loves it with the manual too. Only thing i didnt like,w as it raised my EGT's a lot, but i think that is because of my fuel plate design, and how aggressive it is on top end, and bottom end. It doesent defuel any on the top end, so it just keeps fueling, and keeps the EGT's coming higher, but i think you would be perfectly fine with the stock plate, or a #10 which defuels a little at the top end. Also, it will pull much better, and if you get in any mud, it will spin the tires like crazy in 4hi when you mash it . I found that out, going out back on my Grandmothers farm to get a load of firewood. Good luck with the truck. Keep us posted.

Eric
Old 12-06-2004, 08:33 PM

I will see if I can get my hands on the GSKs, they sound like a good idea. Will keeping it locked up, while pulling (see my photos) hurt the tranny? I couldnt believe how much speed the lockup added for me. I know Im not fast, but faster than what I was. My AFC housing was slide full foward when I got it, but it was never unbolted or anything? Also, I didnt mess with the wastegate or anything. I thought 25 sounded a tad-bit high, but no complaints as long as im safe. I'll keep ya posted.,,
Old 12-06-2004, 08:39 PM

25lbs is pretty good. About 32lbs is all the turbo's are efficient to, so after you pass that up, your just creating heat. Keeping it locked up while pulling wont hurt the tranny unless the TC is slipping or starts to shudder, like when the rpm's are climbing but the speed isnt . I wouldnt reccomend taking off with the TC locked though. I would just wait till i got in the gear i was gonna pull in(3rd or 4th), and then lock it up. Thats what i always do, but i can slip mine pretty easy with a load right now. I cant wait till i get an aftermarket TC so i can let loose with a load . You definatley need a GSK. You will be surprised

Eric
Old 12-06-2004, 09:56 PM

OK. I will try to check out some GSKs. I dont think mine slips or anything. I wish I could ride with someone to see what its like... I dont take off all the time with it locked, just sometimes. I read on one post that a dude said it was lethal to the tc and trans to do the lockup switch?
Old 12-07-2004, 03:15 PM

It wont hurt anything as long as your TC isnt slipping, and you dont abuse it. I know some have had bad experiences with them, but i love mine . If you rode with me you could definatley tell it was slipping when i mash it in overdrive. You can heart the motor kind of revving, and you can just tell its slipping.

Eric
Old 12-07-2004, 04:51 PM

hmm. I dont think that I have had it do that yet. Hopefully never Mine is great too, I loveeee the smoke. Thanks again...