12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

Suggestions please

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2017, 05:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Suggestions please

First post, thanks for validating my account. I recently bought a 1995 12v 3500 reg cab dually 4x4. It only has 16k, it has been sitting for a long time hasn't been started in atleast 10 years. 2 questions, I know I need to drain fuel n do the fuel filter, I need advice on a good fuel filter, oil filter n oil? Also should I be worried about injectors or the pump? Thanks
Old 03-17-2017, 07:04 PM

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Fleetgaurd or Mopar filters are good and not too expensive. Any 15w-40 oil is good, Rotella or Delvac etc. May be a good idea to fill the filter housing with some Power Service, or your choice of diesel additive and give the tank a heavy dose as well. Would also be a decent idea to make sure the motor turns over a bit before firing, just unplug the shut down solenoid and keep a good battery charger nearby. You may have some extra cranking after a filter change anyhow.

If the truck was stored in a generally dry area vs a damp area would be best, less chance of algae growing in the fuel. If you want to really clean everything out fill it with some biodiesel, but expect to change fuel filters quickly as it really washes out the old junk. Good lubricant for pump and injectors as well.
Old 03-17-2017, 07:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gorms
Fleetgaurd or Mopar filters are good and not too expensive. Any 15w-40 oil is good, Rotella or Delvac etc. May be a good idea to fill the filter housing with some Power Service, or your choice of diesel additive and give the tank a heavy dose as well. Would also be a decent idea to make sure the motor turns over a bit before firing, just unplug the shut down solenoid and keep a good battery charger nearby. You may have some extra cranking after a filter change anyhow.

If the truck was stored in a generally dry area vs a damp area would be best, less chance of algae growing in the fuel. If you want to really clean everything out fill it with some biodiesel, but expect to change fuel filters quickly as it really washes out the old junk. Good lubricant for pump and injectors as well.
Thanks my brother suggested the Rotella, n a power service, I like the biodeisel idea where do I find that. I'm in North Jersey so the weather is pretty damp