12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

Shoock to death

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2005, 10:01 AM
Chapter President

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shoock to death

So twice yesterday this happened, I hadn't had any problem until then. Both bases I was droving along between 30 and 40 MPH. I hit a 'bump' in the road and the truck began violently shacking. Now these 'bumps' are questionable, one I didn't even notice.

The shacking made me think I blew or lost a tire. I slows down to a stop, and then began driving again. After coming to a stop, everything was OK. I took a physical exam and there is nothing I noticed that was out of order. Luckily in both cases I was on fairly empty roads and coming to a stop in the middle of the road wasn't an issue.

So, any ideas?
Old 04-16-2005, 10:10 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Do a search here for "death wobble" for much info on this problem
Old 04-16-2005, 02:26 PM
Chapter President

Will do, thanks.
Old 04-16-2005, 03:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Correct.

You have just experienced the infamous Dodge Death Wobble......... Join the club.

Usually faulty tracbars, steering stabilizers and camber adjustments are the culprits. You should find a ton of info with a search.
Old 06-18-2005, 07:21 PM
Chapter President

OK, so after some time of putting up with the Death Wobble, I ordered Luke's Link to rebuild the tracking bar. Luke's Link is a great kit and for the money a no brainer. With the help of Jon (1320) we got the tracking bar rebuilt. I headed out to get the truck aligned and on the way to the alignment shop, I took a Death Wobble on the freeway doing 65! Try stopping on the middle of the freeway to correct that wobble!!!

Now I am bummed out, thinking the tracking bar was not at fault, even though it sure seemed sloppy when we took it apart... I am still happy I fixed it. So the alignment shop agrees that the truck was way out, and they adjusted it. They tell me that my tires are really chewed up, and the truck is still going to pull to the right until I get the tires replaced (I'm thinking rotate until I decide what I am going to do about tires, but that is a whole 'nother story).

So I head out from the alignment shop and the truck is feeling good. But, I still am not sure the problem has been resolved. Well after a little driving around, it hits again, another wobble, luckily not on the freeway and only doing about 35.

So, where do I go from here? I don't know if this is pertinent to the problem, but Jon and I noticed I do not have a steering stabilizer. Could this be part of the problem. Could the death wobble be the reason I don't have a steering stabilizer?
Old 06-18-2005, 08:25 PM

Man I've had the death wobble when driving my tractor down the road. Definently isnt very fun. Just gotta smile and say, "yeah I was just checking something"
Old 06-19-2005, 07:33 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
A worn out steering stabilizer will cause the wobble, not having one at all will be worse. I use Heckethorn brand stabilizers from Napa, about $35.
Old 06-19-2005, 11:11 AM

I had death shake on my previous Dodge (1997 4x4 2500 CTD standard cab) and I went with a Skyjacker dual steering stabilizer set up. The track bar may have been worn as well but the stabilizers took care of it nicely. I can feel the front of my current truck getting a little wobble going once in a while so I will be doing both the link like you used and a Skyjacker set up like I had on my previous truck.

John
Old 06-19-2005, 11:40 AM

The tires can be a big factor especially with no stabilizer. Try the rotation thing and I'd add a stabilizer. I bet with the front and rear tires swapped your problem will either go away or be greatly reduced.
Old 06-19-2005, 09:16 PM

I use to get the same thing on a dump truck I used to drive. It was a five axle truck, w/the second and third axles(counted from the front to back)were air up/air down w/the second axle also a tracking axle(old steer axle off a wreck)that would be left on the ground in a turn to help support the frame when loaded(long truck). Anyhow it done this wobble/shake/fit with me twice before I had enough of it(kinda scared of it, really) It was the steering stabilizer. The shock was wore out and would let the tires get to shimmying back and forth real bad. I couldnt get it to brake out of it, pull out of it, nothing.
Old 06-20-2005, 07:21 PM
Chapter President

OK, I got the Skyjacker Dual Inline Steering Stabilizer on order and it should be here mid-week. If this doesn't solve my wobble, what would I be looking at next? The DSS? Doing something with the tie-rods?

I really want to get this resolved so the BOMBing can begin...
Old 06-21-2005, 10:08 AM

I was meaning to call ya, and find out how it turned out....Im not real surprized thatit didn t cure it, since it had no steering stabilizer at all. I bet (and hope) that takes care of it.

BTW, were did you get it and how much (pm) , I ve never had the death wobble, but I think its starting to get there, I have felt strange vibrations on a few rough roads.
Old 06-21-2005, 11:08 AM
Chapter President

PM sent with information. I think it is safe to say that I paid $98 including tax and 2-day shipping. While the dual setup may be overkill, I figured for the price I could afford a little overkill to try and rid myself of this nuisance.
Old 06-22-2005, 02:01 PM
Chapter President

OK, steering stabilizer just arrive via UPS. Will try and get it on tonight and let y'all know how it goes.
Old 06-23-2005, 01:33 AM

Death wobble is scary, ain't it?

As far as ways to resolve this problem:
Steering stabilizer eh?

Mine is probably shot.. I've had the death wobble but I'm pretty sure it happened because my track bar became unbolted at the axle..

My truck has 182k on it and I'm sure it is shot.. Maybe I'll invest in a new one sometime.

I did a lukes link kit and this cured most of it once I made sure the track bar bolt was secure.

Quick Reply: Shoock to death