Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/12-valve-engine-drivetrain-100/)
-   -   Shoock to death (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/12-valve-engine-drivetrain-100/shoock-death-66275/)

ViperSBT 04-16-2005 10:01 AM

Shoock to death

So twice yesterday this happened, I hadn't had any problem until then. Both bases I was droving along between 30 and 40 MPH. I hit a 'bump' in the road and the truck began violently shacking. Now these 'bumps' are questionable, one I didn't even notice.

The shacking made me think I blew or lost a tire. I slows down to a stop, and then began driving again. After coming to a stop, everything was OK. I took a physical exam and there is nothing I noticed that was out of order. Luckily in both cases I was on fairly empty roads and coming to a stop in the middle of the road wasn't an issue.

So, any ideas?:confused:

infidel 04-16-2005 10:10 AM

Do a search here for "death wobble" for much info on this problem

ViperSBT 04-16-2005 02:26 PM

Will do, thanks.

tool 04-16-2005 03:57 PM

Correct.

You have just experienced the infamous Dodge Death Wobble......... Join the club.

Usually faulty tracbars, steering stabilizers and camber adjustments are the culprits. You should find a ton of info with a search.

ViperSBT 06-18-2005 07:21 PM

OK, so after some time of putting up with the Death Wobble, I ordered Luke's Link to rebuild the tracking bar. Luke's Link is a great kit and for the money a no brainer. With the help of Jon (1320) we got the tracking bar rebuilt. I headed out to get the truck aligned and on the way to the alignment shop, I took a Death Wobble on the freeway doing 65! Try stopping on the middle of the freeway to correct that wobble!!!:eek:

Now I am bummed out, thinking the tracking bar was not at fault, even though it sure seemed sloppy when we took it apart... I am still happy I fixed it. So the alignment shop agrees that the truck was way out, and they adjusted it. They tell me that my tires are really chewed up, and the truck is still going to pull to the right until I get the tires replaced (I'm thinking rotate until I decide what I am going to do about tires, but that is a whole 'nother story).

So I head out from the alignment shop and the truck is feeling good. But, I still am not sure the problem has been resolved. Well after a little driving around, it hits again, another wobble, luckily not on the freeway and only doing about 35.

So, where do I go from here? I don't know if this is pertinent to the problem, but Jon and I noticed I do not have a steering stabilizer. Could this be part of the problem. Could the death wobble be the reason I don't have a steering stabilizer?

ds1rider 06-18-2005 08:25 PM

Man I've had the death wobble when driving my tractor down the road. Definently isnt very fun. Just gotta smile and say, "yeah I was just checking something":D

infidel 06-19-2005 07:33 AM

A worn out steering stabilizer will cause the wobble, not having one at all will be worse. I use Heckethorn brand stabilizers from Napa, about $35.

atc250r 06-19-2005 11:11 AM

I had death shake on my previous Dodge (1997 4x4 2500 CTD standard cab) and I went with a Skyjacker dual steering stabilizer set up. The track bar may have been worn as well but the stabilizers took care of it nicely. I can feel the front of my current truck getting a little wobble going once in a while so I will be doing both the link like you used and a Skyjacker set up like I had on my previous truck.

John

Barry St John 06-19-2005 11:40 AM

The tires can be a big factor especially with no stabilizer. Try the rotation thing and I'd add a stabilizer. I bet with the front and rear tires swapped your problem will either go away or be greatly reduced.

Dojman 06-19-2005 09:16 PM

I use to get the same thing on a dump truck I used to drive. It was a five axle truck, w/the second and third axles(counted from the front to back)were air up/air down w/the second axle also a tracking axle(old steer axle off a wreck)that would be left on the ground in a turn to help support the frame when loaded(long truck). Anyhow it done this wobble/shake/fit with me twice before I had enough of it(kinda scared of it, really) It was the steering stabilizer. The shock was wore out and would let the tires get to shimmying back and forth real bad. I couldnt get it to brake out of it, pull out of it, nothing.:D

ViperSBT 06-20-2005 07:21 PM

OK, I got the Skyjacker Dual Inline Steering Stabilizer on order and it should be here mid-week. If this doesn't solve my wobble, what would I be looking at next? The DSS? Doing something with the tie-rods?

I really want to get this resolved so the BOMBing can begin...

1320 06-21-2005 10:08 AM

I was meaning to call ya, and find out how it turned out....Im not real surprized thatit didn t cure it, since it had no steering stabilizer at all. I bet (and hope) that takes care of it.

BTW, were did you get it and how much (pm) , I ve never had the death wobble, but I think its starting to get there, I have felt strange vibrations on a few rough roads.

ViperSBT 06-21-2005 11:08 AM

PM sent with information. I think it is safe to say that I paid $98 including tax and 2-day shipping. While the dual setup may be overkill, I figured for the price I could afford a little overkill to try and rid myself of this nuisance.

ViperSBT 06-22-2005 02:01 PM

OK, steering stabilizer just arrive via UPS. Will try and get it on tonight and let y'all know how it goes.

Bobcat698 06-23-2005 01:33 AM

Death wobble is scary, ain't it?

As far as ways to resolve this problem:
Steering stabilizer eh?

Mine is probably shot.. I've had the death wobble but I'm pretty sure it happened because my track bar became unbolted at the axle..

My truck has 182k on it and I'm sure it is shot.. Maybe I'll invest in a new one sometime.

I did a lukes link kit and this cured most of it once I made sure the track bar bolt was secure.