12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

rear brakes & cylinder upgrade- how hard??

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2006, 10:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rear brakes & cylinder upgrade- how hard??

Don't laugh... I have never done my own brakes but I know I am able to. My question is:
How long to do them and the upgrade?
Now rememeber the first time you did yours??? About twice as long as it takes you now, so take that into consideration.

I will get a manual- is the chiltons or haynes good enough for basic stuff?

Thanks

Big Jimmy
(palms gettin' sweaty as the hour of aquirement approaches)
Old 01-09-2006, 01:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you are mechanically inclined it should take about 20 min per side. I didn't even remove my shoes when i did mine. The hardest part is usually getting the brake line to come loose from the old cylinder.Once that is free then there is just one bolt that holds it to the backing plate.Bleeding them isn't to bad if you get a one man bleeding kit or you have a buddy to help. Rememberto pump the brakes before you move the truck when you are done.
Old 01-09-2006, 01:33 PM

Grab a digital camera and snap some pics If you have doubts as to the locations of the springs etc. I just replaced the rears in my old chevy. If nothing else do one side at a time then you can compare sides. Its easy, get a mighty vac to bleed the brakes. It the best $29 I ever spent.
Old 01-09-2006, 01:55 PM

Big Jimmy,

Check out this link at Northwest Bombers

http://www.nwbombers.com/forum/index...opic=12826&hl=

go down the the 5th post and you will find a link to a Word document illustrating the procedure for swapping the brake cylinders
Old 01-09-2006, 08:45 PM

My computer won't open the file- but then maybe its me. I will get it though my gals computer will do it if mine won't.

Thanks for the replies. As it turns out I don't need rear brakes, but I think I'll do this mod anyway since it falls into the quick column and thats key for me right now.

Big Jimmy
Old 01-09-2006, 11:30 PM

You won't regret it, it makes a heck of a diffference to the braking. You can feel the truck actually squat when you hit the brakes. You may experience some lock up in the rears for a short time but it will go away.
Old 01-10-2006, 08:41 AM

I believe the hardest part can be pulling the springs. If you have a spring puller, it will be a cinch. I made a spring puller out of a allen wrench with a T-handle. I heated the bottom of the allen wrench and bent it into a u-shape. Then I ground the tip to a point to make it easier to get in where you want it. I did not remove my shoes either, just unfastened the upper ends of the springs. You can also take a pic with a digital camera or polaroid as a reference.

Bleeding the brakes doesn't require anything but gravity. My preferred way to bleed the brakes is to just open the bleed screw for a few minutes. It will probably take 3-5 minutes for fluid to start running out the hole..........just watch it for another couple minutes until you see no more air bubbles then snug down the bleed screw. Only have 1 bleed screw open at a time and keep an eye on your fluid level in the reservoir.
Old 01-10-2006, 09:43 AM
Banned

Walexa is speaking of a tool such as this: http://www.kd-tools.com/298.htm
not necessarily this brand as many tool manufactures make this tool with different variances and some are better than others but this particular brand is perfect for the DIY'er
Old 01-10-2006, 09:47 AM

Actually I am talking about something like this...........mine is home-made since I lost the last one I bought.

Spring Puller
Old 01-10-2006, 02:06 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by walexa
Actually I am talking about something like this...........mine is home-made since I lost the last one I bought.

Spring Puller
Brakes simplified!!
Old 01-10-2006, 09:20 PM

Be carefull. I broke off both of my brake line to slave cyl. fittings because of rust. Yea, my truck is rustier than most, but be carefull. Line wrenches help alot.
Old 01-14-2006, 12:40 PM

This mod is probably the most bang for the buck I did (ok... other than the #100 ), the brakes improved significantly. It seems like the first time or two that I stop after it setting for a while the rears are really grabby but I've noticed that when I'm forced to mash the brakes it isn't the rears locking up first. I too did not remove the shoes, just the springs then slid them in.
Old 01-16-2006, 12:18 AM

Ok well I just got done doing my upgrade too, it was great, but now the fun part. Take your truck over to the sears and have them do a free brake inspection. Tell them that you would like your rear brakes checked out because you hear a noise back there when your breaking. Then when you go to bull the brakes apart yourself it will be very simple.
Old 01-16-2006, 01:13 AM

I have done this to mine, have any of you noticed that in the rain the rears lock up real easy and if I slam on my brakes I can't even get the front to lock up
Old 01-16-2006, 01:45 AM

Well I live in Southren AZ (Yuma 5 mins from Mexico) and I go to Southren California to visit my mom and family, so I cannt say that I have had this problem, being that we dont see REAL rain.

Quick Reply: rear brakes & cylinder upgrade- how hard??