12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

Overcharging new alternator on 3erd voltage regulator battery bubling

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2017, 04:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Overcharging new alternator on 3erd voltage regulator battery bubling

Hi everyone I'm really new to the diesel world. I always wanted one an I finally bought one 1991 dodge w250 4x4 manufacturer date 12/90 truck runs awsome no dash lights ,cab light diesel lights or 4x4 lights . I bought got home started it an it was fine then I fixed plow after done fixing an testing plow overcharging started . So I pulled plug on voltage regulator an it started an was fine . So I ordered new regulator put on drove a hour an seemed fine . I was messing with cab light when I noticed the bed light button was lit it never worked so that I was acully happy thought things were coming together put a test light on cab light saw spark light on button went of then 4 min latter truck started overcharging again with new voltage regulator any ideals I really like this truck but I'm starten to worry I bought a money pit any ?
Old 10-08-2017, 10:52 AM

Received 414 Likes on 316 Posts
Most of the electrical power on 91 and earlier trucks goes through the ignition switch. If you have any kind of voltage drop through the switch, the regulator is thinking the alternator needs to put out more juice when it really doesn't. Start with replacing the ignition switch then start running the circuits through relays to take the load off the ignition switch. Look in the FAQ's electrical section for more information.
Old 10-08-2017, 12:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok man that's sounds good so when it warms up it starts doings

Originally Posted by cougar
Most of the electrical power on 91 and earlier trucks goes through the ignition switch. If you have any kind of voltage drop through the switch, the regulator is thinking the alternator needs to put out more juice when it really doesn't. Start with replacing the ignition switch then start running the circuits through relays to take the load off the ignition switch. Look in the FAQ's electrical section for more information.
I changed regulator then it worked fine for a day the next day I started it started testing cab light then the engine started sounding dif then it was overcharging again . Then I shut off is was working properly again then it's started overcharging again someone told me it could be either 2 things the green field wire or the computer an u just said the ignition switch hope I can find one to replace ile try that first ty