12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

Oil Plug won't come out

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2009, 04:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oil Plug won't come out

Replaced the stock oil drain plug a few years ago with the Heavy-Duty oil plug from Genos. Last time I changed the oil I tightend down to 40ft lbs. Now the plug will not come out, at least it dosen't leak. I ordered a new plug, knowing the one in there will be in bad shape when I take it out. Now the bolt is round, tried vise grips that didn't work. I don't want to damage the pan. Suggestions to take the plug out safely? Thanks, ken
Old 07-30-2009, 07:36 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
You say it has a head so I assume it's not the stock type with the 3/8" square hole.
If it has a head grip it with pipe wrench and use a 3' cheater bar.

40 ft/lbs is too much, 20 will do and still will be hard to get out.
Seems like they all get tighter somehow.
Old 07-30-2009, 11:20 PM

I had the same trouble a couple weeks ago with the same genos drain plug. The thing kept leaking so I had to keep tightening it.

I spent 3+ hours under my truck with channel locks, hammer and chizel, vise grips, etc. with no luck. I had to take it to a muffler shop to have them weld a bolt onto it...this only took about 5 minutes and it was off.

I bought one of those drain plugs with the lever so I won't have that problem again.
Old 07-31-2009, 01:08 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Try a pipe wrench, or get some extractor sockets from Craftsman, they work great. Once you get it out, don't replace it with another one. You'll just find yourself in the same position down the road. Replace it with one of the lever-style drains and never have to worry about stripping threads or rounding off heads again.
Old 07-31-2009, 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by dieselpwr15
I had the same trouble a couple weeks ago with the same genos drain plug. The thing kept leaking so I had to keep tightening it.

I spent 3+ hours under my truck with channel locks, hammer and chizel, vise grips, etc. with no luck. I had to take it to a muffler shop to have them weld a bolt onto it...this only took about 5 minutes and it was off.

I bought one of those drain plugs with the lever so I won't have that problem again.
Weld a bolt or large nut to it. Between that and the heat applied by the welding, it should come out. How about putting some antiseize on the threads, and don't torque it down as much?
Old 07-31-2009, 04:22 PM

thank you

Thanks for the reply's. I didn't want to strip the treads on the oil pan, so I was nervous about using the wrong method. I used a smaller pipe wrench, a 2foot cheater bar, and there was no contest, I won big time. Tightened the same style replacement plug I ordered to 20 lbs this time, I hope that dosen't happen again. I like the idea of the quick drain plugs, but I have this hangup about catching something and it breaking off in the miidle of somewhere. Anyway, I got it done. Thanks, Ken
Old 08-01-2009, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by Hodge
Weld a bolt or large nut to it. Between that and the heat applied by the welding, it should come out. How about putting some antiseize on the threads, and don't torque it down as much?
It was a nut not a bolt. The bolt head on the the drain plug was REALLY soft so after I stripped it I couldn't get any of the said tools to grip it. After the nut welded on, it came right out.