12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

Oil all down side of truck

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2010, 09:52 PM
Chapter President

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Kiff
I am having the exact same issue as you are. Hardly any loss if any at Lower RPM, around town and such. Head out on the highway for a long drive 2000 RPM+ and the underside of the truck gets coated along with the tail gate. I guess I will try a breather, and hopefully that works. I didn't have any issues until I installed my valve springs and exhaust brake, so I am wondering if that messed with anything
my breather should be in some time tomorrow. i'm going to paint it so i won't be able to install it till friday. as soon as i get it put on i am going to drive it and see how she runns. i will post back my results
Old 01-28-2010, 11:45 PM
Pickin on the wrong admin...

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sounds good Eric...
Old 01-30-2010, 08:45 PM
Pickin on the wrong admin...

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How are things going with the truck Eric??
Old 01-30-2010, 10:01 PM
Chapter President

Originally Posted by Diesel Dave2
How are things going with the truck Eric??
Installed it today haven't been able to take it out yet. I installed it on number 4 & 5 valve and ran the hose down next to the stock one. Will take pics in the daylight tomorrow. Only thing is that the freshly painted beather makes every thing else under the hood look like crap. Off to get another can of black spray paint.
Old 02-02-2010, 07:33 PM

did you cap off the original oil breather?
Old 02-07-2010, 09:55 PM

I ordered this breather couple days ago and will be doing the same thing. My hazes all over, especially when warm or after a hard run. Oil is everywhere and I've just been putting it off until now. I'll be plugged off the original breather as I doubt it'll be effective with the other breather open. Air/oil vapors will chose path of least resistance. I'll let you all know how it goes too.

FYI, my tube doesnt seem to be blow by, or at least it doesn't puff like a train, but rather a steady low pressure haze.

Joel
Old 02-08-2010, 01:29 PM
Chapter President

Originally Posted by Kiff
did you cap off the original oil breather?
No i just left it, not sure if i need to. i get very little blow by out of the stock tube. i get alot less than i was getting out of it before the breather. still haven't taken it on a long trip at high speed yet.
Old 02-08-2010, 01:31 PM
Chapter President

FYI, my tube doesnt seem to be blow by, or at least it doesn't puff like a train, but rather a steady low pressure haze.

Joel[/QUOTE]

Mine was the same at ideal only a little haze comming out after a trip or after being ran hard.
Old 02-11-2010, 06:09 PM

Well for me this was a $150 waste of money. I wanted the hazing to stop at idle and it's the same. I installed this then plugged my stock hole and it just moved the haze up to the top now out of this vent. After idling the truck for a few minutes and sticking my finger in the vent there was oil inside enough to coat my finger. There was absolutely no change.

Oddly enough, as I rev my motor up in neutral, the amount decreases. I plugged it with my finger and after a few seconds I let go and you could hear pressure release. Then I revved it up to 1500 or so (Couldn't see the tach so its a guess) and did the same thing and did not have as much pressure.

Mine blows by more warm then hot, and more at idle then not. I dont get it. the only time I really lose oil was out of the stock location really hauling and at higher RPM. I solved that problem a couple years ago by capping the stock location and putting in a vent in the oil fill tube and running a hose from that. It hazes from there too, but no oil was lost when screaming up a hill with my 5th wheel. I moved it back when I got tired of the haze from the front.

So, Not sure if I need another one of these (another $150) or if I need to fix something. My truck always stinks of diesel motor oil unless I freshly wash and then never turn it on. Other peoples trucks don't smell like mine so any ideas?

Joel