12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

Oil all down side of truck

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2010, 12:07 PM
Chapter President

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oil all down side of truck

Ok i made a 45min trip running 70 to 75 mph at abour 2100 rpms. when i got to where i was going the oil pressur gauge went to 0 and the oil light came on. i got out to check my oil thinking i was just low. i seen that my driver side was covered in oil half way up. i looked for a leak but couldn't find anything. the only oil that leaks is a little out of the blow by. so i'm thinking that all the oil on my truck came out of the blow by. i dropped it off at the shop last night and they are going to look at it to find out what is going on. i filled the oil and on the way back to the shop i made the trip back running 60 mph at 1750 rpms and didn't notice any loss of oil.

Thanks,
Eric
Old 01-21-2010, 06:48 PM

It blew the oil out the dipstick tube. I've had this happen when I was messing with a homemade breather filter that didn't flow enough. Not sure why yours would be doing it unless the blowby tube is clogged. Maybe do that blowby test thats floating around here and see if you are in spec? You also might check for vacuum leaks as if you have a large one the vacuum pump starts to blow pressure in the crankcase.

Joel
Old 01-21-2010, 07:24 PM
Chapter President

Originally Posted by joelayan
It blew the oil out the dipstick tube. I've had this happen when I was messing with a homemade breather filter that didn't flow enough. Not sure why yours would be doing it unless the blowby tube is clogged. Maybe do that blowby test thats floating around here and see if you are in spec? You also might check for vacuum leaks as if you have a large one the vacuum pump starts to blow pressure in the crankcase.

Joel
i wish you were right with the dipstick tube but there isn't any oil on the motor its only on the lower control arm drivers side. i didn't get all up under the truck but thats the only place i could see the oil. now as for the vacuum leak, i was told to turn on the A/C and if it was blowing normal then the vacuum was fine, but if it was blowing out the defrost only then i have a vacuum leak.

Thanks,
Old 01-21-2010, 07:41 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Maybe I missed it, but which truck were you driving?
Old 01-21-2010, 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by Fire Rescue124
i wish you were right with the dipstick tube but there isn't any oil on the motor its only on the lower control arm drivers side. i didn't get all up under the truck but thats the only place i could see the oil. now as for the vacuum leak, i was told to turn on the A/C and if it was blowing normal then the vacuum was fine, but if it was blowing out the defrost only then i have a vacuum leak.

Thanks,
that depends. you can have a vacuum leak and still have the vents work. it depends on where the leak is at. does you cruise control work?
Old 01-21-2010, 07:47 PM
Chapter President

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wonder it the KDP struck again?
Or the tappet cover blew out the gasket.
Old 01-21-2010, 08:16 PM
Chapter President

it was on the 96. also the truck ran great up and back and still runs great so would the KDP make it run bad?
Old 01-21-2010, 08:43 PM

there was a post about this a while back with a guy that had a 24 valve tho. He would lose alot of oil at high rpms coming from the blow-by tube, but at low rpms it wouldnt lose a drop. Are you saying you only lose oil at high rpms, or does it lose oil at lower rpms too? I'll try to find the post again
Old 01-21-2010, 08:48 PM
Chapter President

Originally Posted by illEatUrDuramax
there was a post about this a while back with a guy that had a 24 valve tho. He would lose alot of oil at high rpms coming from the blow-by tube, but at low rpms it wouldnt lose a drop. Are you saying you only lose oil at high rpms, or does it lose oil at lower rpms too? I'll try to find the post again
when i lost the oil it was at High RPM's and then on the way back i made sure to keep the RPM's low. Not sure if i lost any oil, but it doesn't seem like i did.
Old 01-21-2010, 08:50 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Fire Rescue124
it was on the 96. also the truck ran great up and back and still runs great so would the KDP make it run bad?
KDP shouldn't make it run bad, but it likely would crack your timing case resulting in a massive oil leak.

About 6 months ago one of the bolts came loose on my afc and fell out (shortly after me adjusting the plate ) and that caused a pretty good oil leak, but it would only leak above 2000 rpms. Oil was all over the left side of the engine and the front differential.
Old 01-21-2010, 10:28 PM

Where was the oil on the side of the truck? I thought you were saying it was basically coming from the hood seam down? If so, that's oil blowing from the dipstick tube... if not not sure what you mean?

Joel
Old 01-21-2010, 10:32 PM
Chapter President

Where was the oil on the side of the truck? I thought you were saying it was basically coming from the hood seam down? If so, that's oil blowing from the dipstick tube... if not not sure what you mean?

Joel
My bad i should have said, it was from the front of the driver door down the driver side rocker and the on the tailgate and all over the under side cab back.
Old 01-21-2010, 10:49 PM

If oil spews out the dipstick, the huge engine fan blows it out of the seams of the engine compartment and onto the fender and drivers door... Still sounds like blowby to me?

Were you towing or doing any hard pulls?

Joel
Old 01-22-2010, 03:48 AM
Chapter President

If oil spews out the dipstick, the huge engine fan blows it out of the seams of the engine compartment and onto the fender and drivers door... Still sounds like blowby to me?

Were you towing or doing any hard pulls?

Joel
wasn't pulling anything just empty.
Old 01-22-2010, 09:10 AM

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...s-t255498.html

Quick Reply: Oil all down side of truck