12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

new guy 96 ctd questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2005, 08:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
new guy 96 ctd questions

hi guys. new here and dont know squat about diesels. ive been looking at a 96 1 ton dually with 132k on it. standard trans regular cab. the truck is just what im looking for to pull a pretty heavy 5th wheel rv. it is currently owned by a kid who got it from his folks who bought it with about 20k on it. kid uses it on weekends and that about it. truck is bone stock

ok, would you be afraid of the mileage on it?? 132 too many??

is the 5 speed tranny strong enough to hold up to heavy towing in utah, colorado, and intermountain west??

has an oil leak dripping about a quarter size spot over night. bout midway back on the drivers side of the engine. doesnt seem like a big deal to me, but??

the truck shows very well. looks to be well maintained, the son does all the oil changes etc himself, with the price of labor at the dealer, cant spank him for that. i would too.

anyway, would greatly appreciate any input you guys care to donate on this truck. some people tell me too many miles. one of my customers has an 02 24 valve and has fooled with these trucks for years, he says no prob. anyway, thanks again, regards, j.d.
Old 05-17-2005, 09:52 PM

That is low mileage for a 96, pretty nice.

The 5 speed is pretty strong, its only real weakness is when you bog the motor in fifth gear. By doing that a nut will come off internally which causes the gear to stop working.

Doesn't sound like anything important or dangerous, most dangerous oil leak is the one at the front of the motor as it could mean the KDP has struck. (read up on the KDP, Killer Dowel Pin, so it doesn't strike you)
Old 05-17-2005, 10:04 PM

For that truck, 132K is hardly broken in. As was mentioned, the 5-speed has the nut to worry about, but thats minor and somewhat rare compared to problems with automatics. As an ex Dodge tech, I stay away from Chrysler autos if I can help it. I have 3 dead Dodge autos in my own vehicles right now. That truck should be great for what you plan to do. For the oil leak, look under the truck...there is a crankcase vent hose hanging down in roughly that area...see if its coming from that. If so, its not a problem at all.

Jim
Old 05-17-2005, 10:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Welcome to DTR!!

You have already started off on the right foot for coming here! I to have a 1996, five speed too, is that too many miles? LOL!! HECK NO.. shes not even broken in yet, Seems u found a good truck and the leakin is probly just poor maintainance... or a flaw, or with those miles wear and tear. I wouldnt worry bout it. Please fill in ur sig, so we can more easily help you. Thanks alot, and i wouldnt worry bout your truck, just get her done, fix her up and drive.. You will be ok... Any further questions ask.. OH and in answer to yours, heavy towing in colorado, just be sure not to bog down that engine in fifth gear, I never ever let the rpms drop below 1750 on fifth gear, or if at all possible just avoid towing with it, but some of my tows are short and thru town.. But best of luck..and welcome once again

Tx
Old 05-18-2005, 05:56 AM

thanks a lot fellas. appreciate the replies. know a service writer at a local dodge dealer we do a lot of biz with. think ill take it over and have one of his techs have a look. if that come out ok, guess ill be an owner. thanks again guys. regards, j.d.
Old 05-18-2005, 12:31 PM

the mileage is a joke hasnt even been broken in yet...a 12 valve with a 5speed and low kms u better jump on it!!