12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

New to diesel

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2003, 09:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New to diesel

I just bought a 96 12v with 120,000 and i want to change the fuel filter. any idea's would help. <br><br>Great site! learned alot here before i bought this truck.<br><br><br>Thanks<br>Dave
Old 06-04-2003, 10:53 AM

Re:New to diesel

The fuel filter is a PITA. I take the air intake horn off the engine every time. I find it helps a little but not much.<br>get you KDP pin fixed? PM me and I will tell you all about the KDP or someone on here will tell you.<br>DM01
Old 06-04-2003, 11:00 AM

You'll find this a great site with a lot of good folks and help. You may want to check out this link for the fuel filter change and other maintenance issues. <br><br>Routine Maintenance <br><br>Also, read up on or search for the dreaded &quot;Killer Dowel Pin&quot;. Look under the tech facts link on this site and ask lots of question.<br><br>Paul
Old 06-04-2003, 02:55 PM
Muted User

I just changed mine the other day... and yes it's a pain in the ***. I didn't take anything off to do it I just found a place where I could reach and spin the filter off... then had to set it down ontop of the frame and balance it between the engine and frame, disconnect the water sensor, climb under the truck, reach up over the frame, slide it down the frame rail and take it out. Reversed the process to put it back in. It's a pain.
Old 06-04-2003, 09:38 PM

Thanks<br><br><br> I read alot about that KDP where can i pick up one of those taps. Like to get started on that soon. <br><br><br>Thanks agian
Old 06-06-2003, 10:14 AM

I take my fuel filter out from the top after draining it and spinning the water in fuel/drain off while it is still tight on the seat. <br><br>The scars have healed nicely since the last time when I shorted my damp underarm across the driver's side battery positive terminal while my arm was firmly in contact with the back end of the P7100 - no arc but it let me know I was conductive <br><br>Also look at changing the pre-heater strainer and gasket(s) while you have the fuel system opened up. The pre-heater looks like an oil filter remote adapter and is down low on the driver's side of the block underneath the fuel filter.<br><br>While you are into the fuel system might as well go ahead and change the flexible fuel lines for peace of mind. They will start leaking air into the sytem and can cause all kinds of headaches but never be obviously bad until you take them off. These are really a PITA but, with the correct grade of hose to replace them with, they will never be a problem again.<br><br>Good luck and enjoy the ride. Just be forewarned - BOMBITIS runs rampant on this site. Its worse than SARS because it won't kill you, it will just make you go broke and/or have to constantly justify your actions to your significant other.