24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

New to diesel's, new to dodge

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2003, 02:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New to diesel's, new to dodge

Hey everyone,

Just picked up my first diesel, and it was a Dodge!!!, was in love with the F-350, but after all those problems with the new Navistar/International 6.0L, I went with the Dodge cummins diesel, because I didn't want to buy a $40k+ problem. It's a 3500 Quad SWB Laramie Pearl Blue (will post pictures later) with all the options, except the High Output, and side airbags. I could not believe how quite this it was compared to my grandpa's 01 24v 2500, he drools at it when I pull up. I had a few questions.

1)What is the oil change time with with the 03, at the dealership they list 15k, but the manual states 7,500 or 15,000? Should I stay on the safe side and go with the 7,500?

2)I live in Alaska, and the local dealership wanted $46k for the same thing I purchased at another dealer for only $36k, except for mine was imported from Canada and manufactured in Mexico, and that same dealership that wanted $46k said they don't do warrenty work on Canadian imports? Whats up with that?

3)Any tips on things to add to this monster?

4)What do you consider proper break in for a the 24v CTD?

Thanks in advance for you help and advice.

p.s. I love this truck, looks,sounds and drives better than the other brands I tired
Pete
Old 03-18-2003, 03:01 AM

Re:New to diesel's, new to dodge

2)I live in Alaska, and the local dealership wanted $46k for the same thing I purchased at another dealer for only $36k, except for mine was imported from Canada and manufactured in Mexico, and that same dealership that wanted $46k said they don't do warrenty work on Canadian imports? Whats up with that?<br>
<br><br>Do do warranty work on Canadian Imports?? Maybe ya ought to call D/C direct and ask them where you can get the warranty work done if it ever needs it, and mention that the local ******* isnt too interested in the work. I had a local dealer here in Washington tell me that if I bought my truck in Kellog ID, he wouldnt do any warranty work on it. The next dealer I talked to said that they couldnt refuse it. I dunno... I'd make the call - And Welcome to Dieseldom!!! Hope to see ya south of the 49th sometime!<br>
Old 03-18-2003, 05:36 AM

Congrats, on the new addition to the family. I would change the break in oil @ 1,000 and then follow the owners manual. As far as the bombs go, I would start with gauges; fuel, boost, EGT, and any temperature gauge on an automatic. Then go with performance upgrades. I would post this over in the Gen. 3 forum, and see what kind of response you can get.<br><br>Kimrey
Old 03-18-2003, 07:00 PM
Administrator

Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts

akchameleon:<br><br>Welcome to the website!!<br><br>You made an excellent decision going with the Dodge<br>CTD!! If you really want to read about some MAJOR<br>problems on the new Ford PSD 6.0 go to this website<br>and click on: &quot;6.0 Engine and Drivetrain.&quot;<br>www.thedieselstop.com.<br><br>I would recommend starting your mods with a good<br>set of gauges (pyrometer, boost, fuel pressure as<br>&quot;Kimrey&quot; said.<br><br>-------<br>John_P
Old 03-19-2003, 12:39 AM

Funny thing is I've been reading about the 6.0L for the past two months, thank god I did or I would have bought one. It was either the Dodge or a GM, and there was no way I was going to get a GM, so it was down to the 03 Dodge. <br><br>Are bypass filters highly recommended? <br><br>