12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

little to no power no accleration lots of smoke

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2012, 03:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
little to no power no accleration lots of smoke

Okay, so my 95 cummins 2500 has no power at all, floor it an it dosnt even put you back in the seat cant even tell im on it. Heavy clouds of smoke which i dont mind but just dosnt have any *****. Also at 55 an crusising speed theres a constant blue smoke its thin but you can tell its there. Rpms are running at like 2000-2300 because i lost OD, do you think its the tranny or fuel? i was gunna look into overflow valve and fuel shut off selinoid also check my lines? Need to know which way to go tranny or fuel system?
Old 01-12-2012, 03:51 PM

If you have smoke, you have at least some fuel. OFV, fuel solenoid, fuel and trans lines, and trans are all good items to look at for maintenance, but I don't know if they would cause your current problem. If you floor it and get plenty of smoke, but no acceleration, I would look at the boost system. If you have a boost gauge, what is it reading? Is it reading the same as it was before you got all this smoke? Maybe check to see if there is a boost leak : blown boot etc.
Old 01-12-2012, 03:57 PM
Cummins Guru

Received 64 Likes on 44 Posts
Pump timing possible gear slipped or stuck wastegate. Things I would check first. What boost pressure are you getting? Check intake for oil possible turbo seal leaking. Pull oil fill cap any blowby? Check run solenoid make sure it is lifting all the way up with key on. Is air filter new? Any boost hoses leaking?
Old 01-12-2012, 04:01 PM

No boost gauge ill check turbo hoses an everything also. Would a lose clamp from the intake to the intercooler cause this?
Old 01-12-2012, 05:05 PM
Administrator

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts
Originally Posted by cwebb710
No boost gauge ill check turbo hoses an everything also. Would a lose clamp from the intake to the intercooler cause this?
Yep, any boost leaks are bad.....
Old 01-13-2012, 08:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What color are these "heavy clouds of smoke"
Dark black = lack of air/boost
White/grey = unburnt fuel slipped timing, air in fuel,
Old 01-14-2012, 01:05 AM

Sorry about the delay guys just got hit with a little winter storm here in upstate ny an been out plowing. smoke is dark black when i floor it but its lighter if im just driving normal. my buddy told me something about injection timing an turning the pump (not the screw) the whole pump? the timing issue might also be why it shakes bad in Drive idiling but when i shift to neutral it goes away?
Old 01-15-2012, 02:36 PM

With it being dark black i would be looking for a lack of air either from a plugged air filter, boost leak, bad boot/gasket, inter cooler leak, turbo problem,ect . Start with the simple things and eliminate them and work your way up from there.

Do you have a pyro and is it running hotter than normal ?

Turning the entire pump physically to increase or change timing would apply to the older 89-93 trucks with the rotary style bosch ve model pumps.
Old 01-16-2012, 03:23 PM

Bearings/bushings in the turbo might be bad letting oil pass into the intake.
Old 01-18-2012, 12:58 AM

Okay it got worse way worse,drove home from work slowed down to pull in an truck nearly died. (as stated above had no overdrive so its been running at 2000-2500rpm) left truck for a few hrs went back out had a **** near impossible time starting it its like my fuel pedal was doing nothing. after it fired up would get above bearly 500rpm it finally warmed up, put it in reverse rpms drop to at or below 500rpm an my fuel pedal does little to nothing same thing in drive. But in park or neutral it revs up fine? bout had it with this **** thing
Old 01-18-2012, 07:58 AM
Administrator

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts
Where are you located? Perhaps we have a member close who can take a look.......
Old 01-18-2012, 11:08 PM

Upstate ny syracuse area
Old 01-19-2012, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by cwebb710
Okay it got worse way worse,drove home from work slowed down to pull in an truck nearly died. (as stated above had no overdrive so its been running at 2000-2500rpm) left truck for a few hrs went back out had a **** near impossible time starting it its like my fuel pedal was doing nothing. after it fired up would get above bearly 500rpm it finally warmed up, put it in reverse rpms drop to at or below 500rpm an my fuel pedal does little to nothing same thing in drive. But in park or neutral it revs up fine? bout had it with this **** thing
Did the black smoke get worse with the decline in performance ?

Check your air box and intake tubing make sure everything is open and clear some animals like to set up camp in there and block it off. Snow could do the same and you had mentioned plowing snow.

Have someone slowly push down the skinny pedal while you watch for full movement from the cable and the connector link (rod and ball ends) going to the injection pump. This would account for your last statement of no pedal response if the ball and socket has worn out and fallen off or cable broke. You did say it revs in neutral so if anything it may be a sloppy or frayed cable.

Bigiron had asked is the solenoid pulling up all the way -- is it have you checked it yet ????????????

Start with everything simple and do a process of elimination and then report the results back here = with good information going both ways and the many smart members here it will get figured out.
Old 01-28-2012, 09:55 PM

Figure it out yet?
Old 01-30-2012, 12:09 PM

Have yet to figure it out all hoses are clear intake is clear. Hopefully tonights the night for it to get figured out i got a guy from down the road says he might be able to help hes owned an operated everything diesel from trucks to bulldozer so hopefully a fresh set of eyes might catch a problem

Quick Reply: little to no power no accleration lots of smoke